ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Guest Member Access

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/27/15 07:28 PM Views: 1272 Replies: 8
Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Hi,

My class is joining with the class below us for a reunion in October. We'd like to extend the offer of paying by credit card thru our website to the other class as a read only guest. I read thru a few older topics regarding this subject and it looked like it was something that a number of people would like and maybe you had been working on.

Is there a way for us to restrict the guest to read only with registration privileges?

Thanks for your help,

Karen

Friday, August 28, 2015 at 2:52 PM - Response #1

Unfortunately no. If they become a member of that site to register for the event, they will have full access. In this case, since you have a site, I would add a new event to your site for folks to register and then work directly with the other site admins to communicate attending and handle funds as needed.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM - Response #2

Okay, well thanks for your response.

One of the problems is the other class doesn't have a website.

We'll figure it out, thanks again!

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:36 AM - Response #3

the other option is to add those who want to attend as GUEST members of your website. then they could register for the reunion and use the credit card processing.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM - Response #4

That's what we'd like to do. So if I add someone as a Guest Member, and check off the 'Do Not Show On Class List' button, can they register for the event without being able to interact anywhere else?

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 12:31 PM - Response #5

No, they will be able to secretly interact with your website without others knowing about them. That is what the "do not show on class list" option does. They will have access to everything that regular classmates have access to.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 1:12 PM - Response #6

Okay, well thanks again for your help.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM - Response #7

We just held our reunion in June and opened the event to class of 1979-1981. We had two options for registering and it worked great.

(1) Contact me by email or phone to register. I added registrations for only about a dozen people manually. They were emailed a bill or I just told them how much it was and they mailed me a check.

(2) Most guests from 79 and 81 wanted to join the site, so they used the "Contact Us' button and sent a message about which class they were in. I added them as "guests" which allowed them to use the website just as other classmates. This will be a communication bonus for future reunions because we will be able to include them all the mass emails from our website.

Members from Class of 1980 are under classmate profiles. My name just appears as Kathy Smithson Vannoy. Members from other classes are in the guest section with a notation in field for last name about the year they graduated, such as John Smith '79. I read recently there is a way to do a multi-year site, but I haven't looked into that yet. Class of 1981 actually has a Class Creator page, so we established a key person in their class to share communications too

If you want to keep in touch with them easily in the future, I would recommend you keep it open.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 9:05 PM - Response #8

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me that info!

It all sounds great to me but the problem I'm having is I'm getting resistance from the other committee members on letting the other class join our site. That's why I thought if I could give them guest access that would restrict them to just the registration page it would be perfect.

But I'm going to keep your suggestions in mind and see if I can change theirs!

Thanks again!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.