ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Error Downloading Data to Spreadsheet

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/16/08 08:24 PM Views: 1144 Replies: 4
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Hey! Gang -- I've noticed that when I download classmate data from the website to an Excel spreadsheet, any ZIP codes that begin with a zero appear as four-digit ZIP codes without the leading zero. I'm not certain whether this is a problem with the Class Creator software or with the formatting of the ZIP code field in Excel. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, have you found a solution (other than finding and correcting each ZIP code individually in the spreadsheet, that is)? Thanks! Patrick in Mexico.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 9:39 PM - Response #1

I had the same problem you identify and made all corrections manually. My take is that the zip code field is formatted as a number field in which case the leading zero is ignored. If it can be changed by the user to "text" before uploading I think that will take care of it.

I've previously passed along this problem and the template may be changed by ClassCreator obviating the need for the user to do anything.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM - Response #2

Hi - there is a quick fix for dealing with the zip codes.

The problem is more of a minor gremlin with excel and not so much of a class creator issue. If you open the downloaded class list from class creator with a text editor, you will see that it is just a generic html table.
All of the data is there including the leading zeros on the zip codes.

Here is one option for the quick fix:
1) Open the downloaded class creator file with Excel
2) In Excel, select the cells containing postal codes.
3) On the Format menu, click Cells.
4) In the Category list, click Special.
5) In the Type list, click "Zip Code + 4" and then click OK.

That will solve the problem and no retyping is required Smile

Once you have your list downloaded - there are many benefits to having your list CASS certified.
The CASS certification process will correct and standardize most of your addresses and will add the correct 9 digit zip code.

The CASS process will also flag bad addresses that are undeliverable.

--Chris
reunion@83phs.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 4:28 PM - Response #3

This is a great response, thank you! I added this info to our FAQs.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 4:49 PM - Response #4

Hi - I forgot to mention that if your current download file has mostly 5 digit zip codes - then change the Special format type to "Zip code" instead of "Zip code + 4".

Once you have a chance to CASS certify your list, you can always change the format back to "Zip code +4".

--Chris
reunion@83phs.com

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.