ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Help to add song to website!

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/12/09 12:34 AM Views: 6239 Replies: 18
Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM

I have a song from one of my classmates that I wanted to put on the website and hold a "Guess Who" type game. I don't know how to add it on the website. This is a wma file. Help, please!

Stephanie

Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 1:33 AM - Response #1

Here's 3 ways to do it:

1) Easy Way: Go into edit mode for your page, click your chain link icon, click the File Vault tab, upload the .wma file, and then insert it into your page. The system will automatically create a link to your .wma file. When your Classmates click this link their Windows Media Player will open and play the song.

2) Medium Way: Upload the song to Reverb Nation and then embed it on your web site. This will give your Classmates a nice interface from which to control the music. You can learn more about adding embedded objects to your site by clicking FAQs above, then clicking Questions About Building Your Site and reading Question #18.

3) Hard way: Embed the object yourself. Here's some help for doing that. It's really not so hard, but you'll need to understand the object embed code and the various attributes you can set.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM - Response #2

Okay...

I'm trying to do it your easy way because I don't want the player or link to show on the website.

I'm trying to embed the song "Friends" from Elton John. I have the song on my computer (downloaded from iTunes), but I don't think it's a .wma file. It's extension appears to be .m4a. When I try to upload it, I get an error message about an invalid file.

Where can I get a .wma file of this song?

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 4:42 PM - Response #3

For this I'd recommend you use Playlist.com. If you put the Playlist on your site and you set the width and height of the plugin to 0, you'll hear your song perfectly but you won't see the player interface at all.

Note: There are several instances of the width and height in the Playlist code. Make sure you set all of them to 0. If you miss any at all the player could show in some browsers.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM - Response #4

Thanks! That did the trick.

Now, one more question...how do I get the playlist to play on ALL pages of the site while a classmate is navigating around? Right now, it only plays on the home page (which is where I embedded the player).

Thanks again.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 4:11 PM - Response #5

The nature of the web is to connect and disconnect from pages. Thus to keep the music going at all times it has to be in a separate window. This is why many people include the "Pop Out Player" button under the Playlist player. A click on that button pops the player into a new window, allowing Classmates to listen to your music the entire time while browsing your site. Of course this isn't going to work in your case if you're hiding the entire player. If you want people to be able to pop the player out, you'll need to unhide it.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM - Response #6

Brad,

I followed your instructions from an older post on adding WMA files. I added several songs of our actual band music from over 40 years ago. I can get only one song to show in my list. What can I do to fix this?

http://www.classcreator.com/Miami-FL-Miami-Carol-City-Senior-1971/class_custom6.cfm

Rick Mandigo

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM - Response #7

Rick Mandigo wrote:

Brad,

I followed your instructions from an older post on adding WMA files. I added several songs of our actual band music from over 40 years ago. I can get only one song to show in my list. What can I do to fix this?

http://www.classcreator.com/Miami-FL-Miami-Carol-City-Senior-1971/class_custom6.cfm

Rick Mandigo

Rick,

Check out your custom6 page now and see if that is what you wanted. I clicked the Insert/Edit Link and then inserted the other five WMA files you uploaded. I didn't listen, but it looks like you might have a duplicate song "alma mater"

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 12:47 AM - Response #8

Brad,

Yes I see that you are right. I loaded the alma matter twice. When you say you linked the songs up I need a step by step version since I am not an HTMLer at all. I have another 10 songs or so I want to upload to make the site complete and now I have to delete the Alma matter 1.

Thanks for helping me with my mess. I really appreciate it.

Rick Mandigo

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM - Response #9

Rick,

You already seem to know how to upload the WMA files, since you already did it. To delete the extra one, just go to the Insert/Edit Link and then File Vault, then click on the DELETE for the file you want to delete. To delete the link in the text, just click on the Remove Link icon next to the Insert/Edit Link (first click on the link you want to remove).

To add a new link, just click Insert/Edit Link and then choose File Vault, click on the WMA file you want and then click INSERT. This will insert a link.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 6:07 PM - Response #10

Kyle,

OK, I will do my best.

Rick

Saturday, December 26, 2009 at 5:16 PM - Response #11

Brad,

Does #3 (embed the object yourself) also work for video files such as .mpg, .avi, .flv? If I have read the instructions correctly the player will be determined by the extension. Am I on the right track?

Saturday, December 26, 2009 at 7:23 PM - Response #12

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Although you can embed virtually anything, there's some things that really don't make sense to embed. Such as mpg and avi files. Those files are typically huge and take forever to download. Your'e better off converting those videos to a web ready format so they load much faster, or better yet just upload them to YouTube, which will automatically convert them to a web ready format for you. The flv is the exception, that format is just a Flash video and can be pretty easily embedded if you understand embeding Flash video objects. There's a variety of ways to do that. What I do for Flash videos is just embed them using html software such as Dreamweaver, Frontpage or anything else. Then I just copy the embed code generated by those programs and paste it into the web site. Works like a charm.

Edited 12/26/09 7:26 PM
Monday, December 28, 2009 at 11:11 AM - Response #13

Thanks for the reply.

I have been using YouTube for my videos and usually convert them to flv before uploading. My satellite broadband is only slightly better than dial up.

If I embed the .flv file without using software such as dreamweaver using the same technique as used for .wma files will it only work if the user has a flash player installed on their PC? I believe the music files work because everyone has WMP. Is that the reason for using software to generate the html code so the player is also embedded?

Is there a free light version of dreamweaver or similar software that will generate the html code for embedding files such as .flv?

Thanks again.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM - Response #14

Can I embed any song that I have in my itunes folder via playlist.com? I don't think this question has been addressed. Thanks.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM - Response #15

No. You have to choose from the songs Playlist has listed.

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM - Response #16

Hi Brad... I tried various version to get music on my Missing Classmates page but all I get is a displayed link that takes the visitor to a single blank page to hear the music. I want the visitor to hear the music while on that page. What am I doing wrong?

Best wishes... j

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM - Response #17

It looks to me like you've done everything right. You just need to add some music to your Playlist. Right now a message is coming up saying your Playlist is empty.

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 7:40 PM - Response #18

Thanks... j

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.