ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Mirror a site with different web address

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/19/09 10:03 AM Views: 1265 Replies: 3
Monday, October 19, 2009 at 10:03 AM

It is possible to buy another domain name through classnames.net and have it mirror a site already set up.

As we have grown, we have the need to use another name than the one we originally set up the site as. We don't want to confuse people my removing the original site but don't want to duplicate it either.

Just looking for an easy solution

Monday, October 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM - Response #1

The easiest way to do it is to choose 1 of the 2 names that you want to be primary. Sounds like you'll want your new domain name to be your primary domain. Then log into Classnames.net and forward your original domain name to your new domain name. That way both addresses will work. When people type in the new address they will just stay at that address. When people type in the old address, it will automatically forward to the new address.

Monday, October 19, 2009 at 11:36 AM - Response #2

I have purchased the new site domain and set up. Was looking on Classnames.net. How do I set up to forward

Monday, October 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM - Response #3

1. Login at classnames.net
2. Click the domain name you want to edit
3. Scroll down to the DNS Settings section and choose the Configure button on the bottom of that section
4. Change the "www" and the "@ (none)" from Type A Record to Type URL Redirect
5. Add the URL that you want to redirect this domain to for both under the Address field.
6. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the save changes button

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.