ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Profile Visibility

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/25/17 01:23 AM Views: 1272 Replies: 12
Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 1:23 AM

I am wanting to explain Profile Visibility to prospective website joiners and find what seems to be a conflict that I cannot figure out. The CC FAQ Privacy Question No. 3 indicates that each member has the ability to permit or not permit indexing their profile page by search engines.

There is a check box in member profiles on one of my websites, EPHS61.com, that says "Profile Visibility, but in my current site, redmondcpc.org, that check box does not show up in member profiles.

What am I missing here? It would be nice if that option was taken away from members -- has that happened?

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:34 AM - Response #1

When I click on Member Functions > Edit Profile, there's a check box that says, "Profile Visibility: Block Profile Visibility: Block the public and search engines from accessing my Profile and allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details. Leave this box unchecked if you wish to allow the public (friends, co-workers, family members, etc.) to view your Profile details."

Are you saying this box is missing when you click on Member Functions > Edit Profiles for your profile?

Edited 05/25/17 8:36 AM
Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:25 PM - Response #2

Removing that check box is an option that Class Creator can turn on. Some sites want members to have that option, some want it removed to be sure that outsiders won't see some post or message containing personal info.

{Edit} Previously discussed [HERE]

Edited 05/25/17 1:05 PM
Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:52 PM - Response #3

Thanks. It seems like that has been turned off as an option on 1 of my 2 sites. Not sure how it got turned off but I am OK with it.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 1:40 PM - Response #4

Jim - You must have at some point requested that CC Staff use our admin toggle that overrides that particular setting and removes it as an option for all of your members. This means that by default, for all of your members on this site, their profile visibility is set to blocked. (Block Profile Visibility: Block the public and search engines from accessing my Profile and allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details.) If you would like me to undo this on our end, I would be happy to do so.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 5:49 PM - Response #5

No, no, please don't undo it. I like it the way it currently is. Before allowing people to sign up for this site there are some that have concerns about security, hacking, visibility, etc. I have been compiling a document to explain it all to them and was going to include the piece about having the choice to turn that visibility either off or on. Now I don't need to say anything about it. If they had that option I would probably go into everybody's profile and turn it off anyway.

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:03 AM - Response #6

Ah. Then you should be all set. Thanks

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 3:26 PM - Response #7

Classmates on our website have 2 different versions of Profile Visibilty. Some have just one choice: Block all except my classmates. Others have 4 choices: 1-classmates only in my class; 2 - only classmates from my school; 3 - all Class Connection members or 4- allow Facebook friends.

I can't figure out why some have 4 choices and others only have the one choice?

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 5:04 PM - Response #8

That list appears to be the profile visibility options for Class Connection rather than from your site. It all depends of whether or not the member is also a member of Class Connection.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 5:49 PM - Response #9

How does one become a member of Class Connection?

Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 4:27 PM - Response #10

On your homepage, you have a link in the upper right corner that says : Try Class Connection ... they will join from there.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 10:32 PM - Response #11

And they have to join FB first Idea

Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 10:36 PM - Response #12

The link is right under the Login box, after you are logged in. It shows up similar to this:

We are now on Facebook
[Facebook Logo]
Works with our web site.

Try Class Connection

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.