ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Creating an easy URL for your website

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/13/10 12:58 PM Views: 1905 Replies: 6
Friday, August 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I'd like to offer up a suggestion for classes to use to shorten their Class creator URL. There's a neat website called www.tinyurl.com where you can make your own web address. We took ours:
http://www.classcreator.com/Oak-Park-IL-Oak-Park-River-Forest-1961/

and changed it to:

www.tinyurl.com/doop61

I like the website so much that I've put it in my toolbar for whenever I want to send a very long web address to someone and shorten it for them.

It really is easy to use! Try it.

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM - Response #1

I'm a fan of tinyurl.com -- but why not register doop1961? it's available to register as a dot-com.

tinyurl.com is a forwarding service - it doesn't affect the URL of your website - which will still have the long name.

While if you register your own domain, that domain name will appear in the URL window. Idea

P.S. I use a tinyurl for the link to our class Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/phhs-1961

Edited 08/13/10 2:21 PM
Friday, August 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM - Response #2

For a lot of people, it's the cost and bother of maintaining the domain name. I wish it were bundled with the CC subscription and not be a separate thing to keep track of. Just a checkbox on the paperwork to include that as part of the site creation process, even if it cost that much extra. But I suppose the CC staff already has enough to do, just keeping our sites running & our wishes satisfied!

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM - Response #3

Mary Smith wrote:

I wish it were bundled with the CC subscription and not be a separate thing to keep track of. Just a checkbox on the paperwork to include that as part of the site creation process, even if it cost that much extra.

Great idea, Mary!

Brad! When you read this you act quickly! Idea

Edited 08/13/10 2:01 PM
Friday, August 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM - Response #4

Jody,
I love the Santa with his lit Lucky Strike!!
I shall keep it and send it to Classmates as a Christmas Card in December!

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 2:11 PM - Response #5

This is a 1961 thread, but I guess we can let Michael on as an upper classman--1960. Right, John & Jody?

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM - Response #6

Mary Smith wrote:

This is a 1961 thread, but I guess we can let Michael on as an upper classman--1960. Right, John & Jody?

Absolutely Mary! We 1961 grads respect our 'elders.' (Ironic, isn't it?) Rolling Eyes

Edited 08/13/10 2:20 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.