ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Can Classmate Name ‘Hide” from Search Engines

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/01/20 09:59 AM Views: 665 Replies: 2
Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 9:59 AM

We have a now deceased classmate who had joined the site and prepared an extensive profile. His kids are asking that we take him off the site, saying we don’t have permission to include him on our site. By his joining, I believe we do have permission, and I believe he would not want us to delete him. His profile is password protected, but name/site is listed in searches. It seems there is no way to restrict visibility and prevent his name showing in search engines. Would appreciate any suggestions. I do not wish to “fight” the family, but would also like to honor his relationship with the class.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 11:13 AM - Response #1

Almost all pages on your site - including the In Memory page - are restricted, and of course, so are profiles. So unless he was one of those who has unchecked the "Block Search Engines" box in his profile, the only place a search engine could find his name is in the Class Profile List. No other information about him would be available.

You can restrict the Class Profile List - making sure the Missing list is still available for the Join button so anyone who still needs to find their name can join. That should make his name invisible to search engines. Any search engine references previously found and saved will still be there in a search though.

Edited 07/01/20 11:14 AM
Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 2:43 PM - Response #2

And, if they happened to be using the classmate's computer or one the classmate used and is still logged on to, wouldn't they see much more information and pages than would be visible to someone who wasn't logged in?

As far as removing existing search engine information, there is a company called Abine.com that has a program called "Delete Me" that might be helpful.

Just an FYI, Abine also has a neat program called "Blur" that lets you create a disposable (or permanent) email address on the fly and keeps track of not only the email address you used for the specific websites, but also the password you used (if you want it to). If you're not sure about a new website, you can create a disposable email until you know you can trust them, and if not, delete the temporary email in Blur, and you never hear from them again.

I'm not trying to advertise for them, but thought someone might find these of interest.

Edited 07/12/20 9:43 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.