ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Birthday Notifications

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/14/13 11:20 AM Views: 1666 Replies: 23
Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

RE: Birthday notifications that are automatically sent out to those who receive this Notify Me Option . . . these notifications now state:
Jane Doe turns 48 plus others
John Smith turns 57 in 7 days . . .
Tom Turkey has a birthday in 7 days . . .

I'm thinking the complaints are going to start coming in from members that do NOT want their age attached to these notifications. Is there any way to avoid this new feature?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM - Response #1

Interesting topic. Will watch to see what others have to say. Will discuss internally as well.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM - Response #2

Scott,
Is there something in each groups 'set-up' that indicates a site is something other than a single year site [such as multi-year, property owners group, or in Rhonda's case, an association, that could provide the 'trigger' to not show the age?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM - Response #3

No problem I get a lot of LOL

No one will see it unless they have checked the Notify Me, in they profile to alert them of someone's birthday.

If they look at the home page an see someone's has a birthday like to day and sends them a birthday wish it will only show certain info not there age,

As far as I can tell only the admin get's the age

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM - Response #4

Hey Bill...on the subject of the Veterans page..tried to reply to your email....got an invalid domain name...I have the answer to your questions ready..but no where to send them.Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

Edited 11/14/13 1:35 PM
Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:49 PM - Response #5

Darlene, you made me smile during a late lunch at the keyboard.

Click on EMAIL to the left of Bill's post to reply to him off this thread. Only those who were in TAP's Live Chat last night may understand how you came up with the subject of the Veteran's page here in a thread about birthdays. Wink

Gotta love ya!

Webmaster Darlene wrote:

Hey Bill...on the subject of the Veterans page..tried to reply to your email....got an invalid domain name...I have the answer to your questions ready..but no where to send them.Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM - Response #6

I know...wrong thread...but I didn't have the right domain name for Bill...and I was looking at the thread and took the opportunity to leave him a message. I was going to go to TAPS next to leave him a private message.
No biggie!!!

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM - Response #7

Everyone in our class is the same age, give or take a year, so it doesn't matter to us. We all know how old everyone is.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 6:46 PM - Response #8

Same with our class... Give or take a year, we're all the same age. So it's not a problem. But... what if someone filled the month and date in, but not the year?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM - Response #9

Same with our class, everyone same or close in age. Good question John! ..."what if someone filled the month and date in, but not the year?" Will that work sufficiently?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM - Response #10

Don't think it's an issue on the school's site...other sites maybe...No biggie we are all about the same age...mostly all baby boomers.Laughing

Friday, November 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM - Response #11

If we don't have a birth year the system the message subject line is: Your Notify Me Reminder for Name

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM - Response #12

As others have mentioned, this isn't an issue for class sites since we all know how old each other is. But, the announcement of a member's age on my other site (the Education Association) isn't going over so well with the teachers.

Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM - Response #13

Rhonda,
Perhaps an email to everyone on the site, suggesting they

'remove their year of birth from their profile to avoid their age being autokatically announced on their birthday'

would be a short term fix until CC can address this?
Just an idea.

Friday, November 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM - Response #14

Good idea, Steve! That, or sometime when I'm really, really bored . . . I could go through the profiles and delete all the years! Smile

The age announcement is something new - just noticed it the last week or so.

Friday, November 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM - Response #15

Since I haven't seen an example of this as of last week, I'm guessing this got implemented as part of the 'deliverablitly' changes. And while I don't personally have a problem with it, I can see that it would not go over well for all the sites which are not school class oriented.

After kicking it around with my co-admin and a couple members, the general drift was that it's going a bit too far. This one should probably end up being one of those "It sounded like a great idea at the time" things.

Monday, November 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM - Response #16

Quite a few of my female classmates are not real happy about having their age included in the birthday notifications. Nobody ever complained when the notification when just the month and day were given.
Hope this helps.
Neal Highland High Class of 1963

Monday, November 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM - Response #17

Neal Kloepfer wrote:

Quite a few of my female classmates are not real happy about having their age included in the birthday notifications. Nobody ever complained when the notification when just the month and day were given.
Hope this helps.
Neal Highland High Class of 1963

The poor old ladies just don't like people know that they are 69 or 70 years old. Rolling Eyes

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM - Response #18

As admins, we realize Class Creator listens and works on our behalf when possible. I share that the next notifications should read differently.

Friday, November 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM - Response #19

Also Scott and/or Jessica,
The birthday announcement that is automatically sent out.

The email subject lines states:

"[member name] was born on this day"

But the notification might only be that the member has a birthday in seven days on [date]

Small detail, but it threw a couple of others on our site off a bit. Is this wording new, or did I just never notice it before? LOL

Friday, November 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM - Response #20

I've noticed the same thing . . . "this day" refers to another date stated following the teaser . . . but the reader assumes the birthday is on "this day" (the date of the email).

Friday, November 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM - Response #21

Steve, It's 'new', or at least a change from the last update - "xxxx turns 78 today" - which was not universally welcomed.

Rhonda, so far all the birthday announcements I've received have included someone who was actually born on the day I received it. Using the same subject line for reminders of only an upcoming birthday, would indeed be misleading.

Friday, November 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM - Response #22

The wording states was born on this day plus others

Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM - Response #23

We are going to make a logical adjustment to the message on the 7 day announcement as "7 days and born on this day" are very different. However, I can report that it seems that our deliverability rate of these birthday emails has dramatically improved since we made the verbiage change.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.