ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Moving between class sites

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/02/18 10:20 PM Views: 559 Replies: 5
Friday, November 2, 2018 at 10:20 PM

In the beginning of time -- my time, 10 years ago -- we administrators of multiple sites were able to move from one site to another with ease. For quite a while, now, we have to sign in again as administrator with each move.

Please can't CC change this back? It's really inconvenient and frustrating to see the message, "You aren't signed in as administrator" every time you are working between sites. Too often I am copying text from one site to another, page by page, and am interrupted with this disruptive and time consuming instruction.

Thanks,
Carole Mackey

Edited 11/02/18 10:21 PM
Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM - Response #1

If you want to copy between two websites, you can do it by using two different browsers (Firefox, Chrome). Because the cookies are unique to each browser, you wouldn't have to log in each time you switch websites.

It also might work if you open up one of the websites in the same browser, but use a "New Private Window" when you open up the browser in a separate window. Since it is a private browser, it wouldn't share the same cookies as your regular browser window. This is how I can have two different gmail.com windows open at the same time for different gmail users.

Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 10:38 AM - Response #2

What you suggest are work-arounds, and I thank you for that, Kyle. But, why can't CC do a rewrite so that administrators can work on 2 or more sites at the same time? This would certainly be more efficient and less complicated.

It seems as though once logging on as a legitimate administrator and then moving to another site where you are also an administrator shouldn't sign you out as an administrator on the first site. I can't see the "danger" in administrators working multiple sites at a time nor do I understand the necessity of the sign-out. I am not unique in administering more than one site and would certainly be happier to do so in the easiest and most efficient manner possible.

Carole

Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 12:53 PM - Response #3

Okay, Kyle. I used your suggestion of working with two browsers, and it really was no problem nor was it any more work than using one browser and moving between sits without having to sign. BUT, it still doesn't make sense to me why we can't do this.

Thanks, again, for your help and tolerance of a stubborn administrator.

Carole

Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 7:10 PM - Response #4

Here is an explanation about how I think it works... it is just a guess.

Your websites might have a domain name, since you don’t say, I don’t know (domain names are not required, but nice to have).

All of the websites are really running on ClassCreator.com, but the domain names just point the classmate’s to your directory structure under the ClassCreator.com domain.

If the browser cookies are “ClassCreator.com” cookies (they keep tiny pieces of information, like which website you are logged in to), then one cookie might overwrite the other cookie, so switching between websites will check the cookie to see if you are logged in to the website you are clicking on. If not (because you are logged In to the other one), the website forces a login because the page you are trying to visit is password protected.

Again, I don’t know how ClassCreator has programmed the cookies to work, but this is one way to do it.

Since cookies are browser specific, you can be logged in to both websites and when you switch windows, the browser knows you are logged in because the cookie wasn’t overwritten by a forced login request.

Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 12:39 PM - Response #5

Thanks, Kyle. I'm fine with your theory and your suggestion for using two browsers, but just had the dreaded message appear when I forgot to follow your fix and changed a bunch of settings in the same browser. For the good of us old, forgetful people -- for all the forgetful people, for that matter -- please pass along my request for a rewrite so cookies can recognize a legitimate administrator and not "throw away" his/her attempts to improve his/her site.

Thanks!
Carole

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.