ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Google / Bing finds senior photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/25/13 03:39 AM Views: 956 Replies: 2
Friday, January 25, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Someone has complained that doing a search for the reunion website leads them to links that lets them in.

I've explained that will happen if they are already logged-in, but that doesn't always satisfy.

Along the same thought, doing a search in the "Images" category at Google or Bing will bring up the senior graduation photos--the thumbnails at the top.

Any suggestions on how to globally blocking search engines from culling out the grad photos?

Thanks,

Bob

Friday, January 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM - Response #1

Here's my suggestion: Click the Log Out link at the bottom of the Member Functions section on the left of your website, then start clicking links on the site (such as Classmate Profiles). While you are logged out, ANYTHING you are able to access will be accessible to the search engines, so this way you will know exactly what they can see. A few of your classmates have their profile pages accessible to people who are not logged in -- such as Lynn Poelman (Green) -- and the deceased members of your class will also be visible.

In order to lock down classmate profiles, we can activate a setting that prevents sharing of classmate profile pages outside the site regardless of what the classmates choose. To block search engines from other pages you can use the password checkbox in Edit Site Pages for those individual pages of your site, such as In Memory (on which yearbook photos can be seen).

Friday, January 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM - Response #2

Thanks Eric,

This turns out to be a "duh" question, but one that hopefully will help others.

The problem is a result of one person not having logged out before doing a search, and the progenitor of the current issue having UNchecked his visibility.

When I looked again at the Classmate Profile page I noticed his name did not have the padlock icon next to it.

Checking the box and logging out after each visit solved the problem.

I decided against the global option as that prevents unregistered classmates from directly getting in.

Bob

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.