ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Two classmates with one e-mail address

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/25/10 07:44 PM Views: 1233 Replies: 5
Monday, January 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM

We have quite a few classmates married to a classmate and are having trouble due to the fact they use ONE e-mail address. Can there be any other code that can go into the e-mail spot, so they both can be registered? They would use different passwords. I know this is a problem, as my husband registered with our e-mail address, and I had a heck of a time reversing this. We are both from the same class also.

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM - Response #1

Diane Mayer wrote:

We have quite a few classmates married to a classmate and are having trouble due to the fact they use ONE e-mail address. Can there be any other code that can go into the e-mail spot, so they both can be registered? They would use different passwords. I know this is a problem, as my husband registered with our e-mail address, and I had a heck of a time reversing this. We are both from the same class also.

Hi Diane, the way it seems to work is that you CAN both use the same email address, but you differentiate yourselves by using a different password. When you enter YOUR password, you'll be redirected to YOUR profile, and when your spouse enters HIS password, he'll be redirected to HIS profile. I tried this when someone else asked the question earlier, so I tried it with 2 test accounts using the same email address.

This means that if you're logged in and your spouse wants to get into their profile, you have to log off and back on, but using the spouse's password on the 2nd login.

Edited 01/25/10 8:14 PM
Monday, January 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM - Response #2

Thank you. I will try this. I can believe how fast I received an answer. This site is great!!

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM - Response #3

Allen is exactly right. Thousands of people here share an email address. All that matters is each person have a unique password. And as Allen said, if the other wants to log in, make sure the first person actually clicks the logout link first.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 1:03 PM - Response #4

This suggests to me a way to create profiles for members who do not have an email address.

Start by creating an email address at gmail, msn, yahoo, hotmail etc. Maybe you could create one at your CC site such as "no-reply@mysite.com" or "no-email@mysite.com"

With the class member's permission and using this 'generic' email address and a different password for each, create a profile, and fill in the information for the member.

When you or another classmate sends an email to that member, it will come to your generic email address. You could auto-respond to those to indicate that the member is not monitoring this email address. Or could CC block the sending of email to specific accounts?

These members could be provided with their 'sign-in' email address and their password, so they could pick up messages when/if they have access to the Internet.

What purpose does this serve? We haven't contacted every member of our class -- but we have found 23 so far who do not have email addresses. They are willing to confirm and provide contact information and to indicate whether or not they plan to attend the reunion in 2011.

Our "Active Accounts" list grows and the number of those planning to attend the reunion is more accurate than excluding the "no email" people. Some of their old friends might sign up themselves because one or more of these "no email" members indicates they will be there.

What happens if a multi-use email address requests a lost password? Which one does it send?

Open to comments and suggestions?

Edited 01/26/10 1:14 PM
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM - Response #5

GOOD QUESTION! I'm not sure this solution that Brad wrote in this thread was optimal. Maybe the system could detect that there are multiple profiles associated with the email address (account or profile ID) and ask which profile they want to get the password reset for?

John Chidester wrote:

What happens if a multi-use email address requests a lost password? Which one does it send?

It's been asked before (see this post)

Rick W Johnston wrote:

Lost Password Question
Posted Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I know and understand why if two people (spouses) have the same e-mail address, they must have two different passwords so the system can find the correct one when they log on. So, if one of them forgets their password, keys the email address and Clicks the "Forgot Password" link to retrieve a lost password, how will the system know which one to return, or will it always be the first one it comes to in the file? Thanks in advance.

Brad Switzer wrote:

RE: Lost Password Question
Posted Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 5:34 PM

It will automatically choose the first one. Person one could temporarily change his or her email address though, allowing person 2 to then use the lost password feature.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.