ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Search Engine

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/24/08 01:08 AM Views: 2205 Replies: 10
Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 1:08 AM

I would like to make it easier for the students to find each other such as a Search Engine's. and can the classmate profiles be placed in alphabetical order?
Thank you.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 6:55 AM - Response #1

I just found something interesting along these lines. I google a friend's name and one of the sites that came up was our class site. She, apparently, had not selected the option for only classmates to see her info. I, then, clicked on "classmate proflies" and selected someone who had not created a profile yet. I was surprised that it allowed me to see that page. Then, I clicked my own name which is not displayed except to classmates only. It said that you have to be logged in first to see that profile. I don't know if this is of any help to you, but found it interesting. Tam

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 12:03 PM - Response #2

Why does that surprise you Tam? Non members have to be able to click on your Classmate Profiles page and click on their own name as well, in order to join your site. That's how it's supposed to work. Unless you choose to password protect your Classmate Profiles page that is, which you haven't. If you do that, then you either need to send new members the system password in advance, or wait or the Classmate to find you and contact you for the password.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM - Response #3

Charmaine Shettlesworth wrote:

I would like to make it easier for the students to find each other such as a Search Engine's. and can the classmate profiles be placed in alphabetical order?
Thank you.

Classmate Profiles are already alphabetical. Although in your case they're alphabetical by each graduating year since you are a "multi" site. Multi sites are a rather new function of Class Creator. In general, single year sites don't need a search engine type function to find Classmates, as they are all right there on one page. But for multi sites such as yours, a search feature makes good sense. It's already on our Task List and should be showing up in multi sites after Christmas.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM - Response #4

I guess that does make sense. What I am confused about it that I thought you were going away for a week. You never sleep. You are never far away from electronic communications. Do you own a red suit and call your method of transportation, " A sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer"? Merry Christmas and thank you for this gift you have given all of us! Tam

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 8:16 PM - Response #5

I don't own a red suit, and I call my method of transportation "Buick Enclave." I really am away though. I'm here in the middle of a big farm in Iowa. Been in my family for over 100 years. My Great, Great Grandfather Charles Nelson started this farm. He could have never envisioned that his Great, Great Grandson would be sitting here in the middle of Iowa with a wireless Interent connection on the farm... but, here I am. Smile

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 8:56 PM - Response #6

That is a terrific picture... the legacy of a farm, from generation to generation. And in 100 years, imagine what your great, greats will be doing on that farm!!!

So, I have a thought about the class list, and I am sure it is more difficult than my simple thought. Could that page be set up similar to the statistics page we see and now can sort and filter (YIPPEEE BTW.) I know I would love that... filter by going to the reunion, by who has pix, by registered not registered... It would seem to me that in the table multi classes would then be able to drill down by first, second ... sorts.

Most important tonight... MERRY XMAS!!! I wish you tons of success in 2009. You all deserve it.

Edited 12/24/08 8:56 PM
Wednesday, December 24, 2008 at 9:19 PM - Response #7

All of those sorting options are already on the list. Every option in the key will become clickable. Plus a variety of other sorting options will also be placed below that, including the ability to show your Class List by senior photo, essentially displaying a virtual yearbook. I just took a quick look at that Task is very close to the top of the Task List, so these new sorting options will probably make it live into the system sometime in January.

Thursday, December 25, 2008 at 10:42 AM - Response #8

Ok, how does one password protect the classmates section? If it is not password protected, it seems like anyone can assume any identity that has not been claimed, being that person or not.

Thursday, December 25, 2008 at 11:41 AM - Response #9

You can password protect the Classmate Profiles page by clicking on Edit Site Pages, clicking the Edit button next to your home page, and clicking the checkbox in the password column next to your Classmate Profiles page.

Although you can do this, in general I recommend not doing this, as it creates a huge barrier to joining your site. Instead I recommend you click on your Preferences link and turn on the anti hijacking feature (New Classmate Verification). This will allow you to confirm the identity of all new Classmates before they can participate in your site.

Thursday, December 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM - Response #10

Thanks....and Merry Christmas from a 40 acre christmas tree farm in texas . . .

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.