ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

street address visibility

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/12/10 12:56 PM Views: 1442 Replies: 7
Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM

It appears that regardless of how the checkmark boxes at the end of the profile page are checked, that a person's street address is always viewable by a registered user. This is a problem for some people.

I was working with a person new to this kind of site and we discovered an example of a non-classmate (she is 1963, he is 1959) where she can see his address. He has checked that only his classmates can see the profile information.

Are we doing something wrong? Is the classmate restriction not working?

Additionally, this person indicated that there may be others who don't want their street address out there for anybody, but wants the administrators to have access so we can send paper information as necessary. Can visibility of street address be eliminated by a particular user?

It seems that there is no way for anyone to see the email address on the site and that is great.

Thanks

Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM - Response #1

"Classmate" for a multi-year site means "anyone who is logged in to the Multi-Year website". It is not limited to the 3 years that the classmate went to school.

I have Brad reviewing the current definition of "Classmate can view address"

Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM - Response #2

You are a multi year site. So a "Classmate" isn't just a Classmate from the same graduating year, a Classmate in your case is somebody who has joined your site for any year. There is no way in the system to set your street address visibility to yes for just your own graduating year, and no for other graduating years.

By setting visibility to no, no members from any year can see the street address, but Administrators still can of course.

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

You are a multi year site. So a "Classmate" isn't just a Classmate from the same graduating year, a Classmate in your case is somebody who has joined your site for any year. There is no way in the system to set your street address visibility to yes for just your own graduating year, and no for other graduating years.

By setting visibility to no, no members from any year can see the street address, but Administrators still can of course.

Where is this preference to set visibility to no located? I couldn't find it in the Preferences link and I'm not sure where else to look.

I had two discussions tonight with reps of 2 different classes who are very concerned with emails and addresses being available. You never show email addresses and I think this will do what they want in terms of addresses.

I don't like being the town crank about all the items I've posted and I sure do appreciate your great response either explanations or changes. I would encourage you to seriously think about have different levels of granularity and all of it as "opt-in" for a future release. I don't know how many multi-year class sites you have, but I gotta believe that these and other items we've commented on would be very useful for large multi-year sites and would be a good marketing items.

Thanks

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 12:45 AM - Response #4

Just a note that I only ran across your response, Brad, because I was going to add something to Kyle's post. Then I saw yours which you posted a couple of minutes after his. I did not receive information about your post in my email. I checked my junk folder - nothing gets deleted automatically. I checked my trash also and I haven't emptied my trash in mail for several days - not there - this has happened at least once before. I'll continue to monitor this. FYI

Thanks

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 6:52 AM - Response #5

I'm not entirely sure we're on the same page here. What do you mean by, "Where is this preference to set visibility to no located?"

Email addresses are never shown no matter what as you mentioned. Street addresses are also NOT shown by default. Classmates have the option of showing their street address to only fellow members of the site who are logged in. They deliberately have to turn this on though. Even when they do, the street address isn't public, it is not picked up by Google ever,etc. Again it's optional and all behind password protection.

If you're asking for the option to show the street address to one class year and not another class year, my concern there is it just starts getting confusion and having too many options. Currently a Classmate on a multi year site is somebody who has joined the site. So people have the option of choosing whether they want to show their street address to fellow members of the site, or not. I'm probably not understanding the concern here, I've never heard of anything regarding this area being an issue. Again this is OFF by default, voluntary, and at most only visible to logged in members of your site. It's a very secure setup.

Edited 08/13/10 6:55 AM
Friday, August 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM - Response #6

[quote="Brad Switzer"]I'm not entirely sure we're on the same page here. What do you mean by, "Where is this preference to set visibility to no located?"

--> I was just referring to your statement at the end of your earlier posting "By setting visibility to no, no members from any year can see the street address"

--> I believe you are referring to the checkbox by Contact Details (I was too focused on looking for a "visibility" preference...sorry)

--> after more trials, I now understand that not clicking the checkbox by Class Details does hide your street address from everyone. The classmate and I had the problem of working too fast and not carefully discerning what was happening. The confusion comes from the definition of Classmate as being either those in the year I graduated or those in surrounding years.

--> We may consider changing the word Classmate to something like "Purgolder" or "all Purgolders" to reduce that problem among registered classmates with whom I have communicated. I wish a message clearly defining classmates for multi-year sites could be added but I also appreciate the confusion if we decide to use a term other than "Classmates"

Currently a Classmate on a multi year site is somebody who has joined the site. So people have the option of choosing whether they want to show their street address to fellow members of the site, or not...this is OFF by default, voluntary, and at most only visible to logged in members of your site. It's a very secure setup.

--> I think the statement right above should be included on a proposed section of the FAQ for multi-year sites. There have been a few other things that I've mentioned in other posts that could be added to such an FAQ and I'd be interested in being involved to produce this.

I'm probably not understanding the concern here, I've never heard of anything regarding this area being an issue.

--> I can tell you that when a couple of people who checked that only their classmates could see their street address discovered that anyone could see it, I had some fires to put out. Maybe our group of people is unusual, but I rather doubt that, especially for older alumni who are scared about issues regarding identity theft and the like.

--> Thanks for the time and effort you put into this. I think we're ok now and I hope you don't mind that I even quote you to a couple of naysayers who seem to think they will lose their identity. Of course I will not pass on your name or email or anyother information.

Friday, August 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM - Response #7

You can quote my name any time or refer people directly to the Privacy area of our FAQs.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.