ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Yearbooks

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/14/11 04:03 PM Views: 1437 Replies: 7
Monday, November 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Our school is from 1925 to present. We are tossing the idea around of scanning all of the yearbooks (that we have dupes for). Has anyone done this?

Monday, November 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM - Response #1

I haven't done a lot of yearbook scanning but I have done a lot of photo scanning and might I suggest that as much as possible use the same scanner. so that the images will look the same/similar.

Monday, November 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM - Response #2

Scan at as high a resolution as you can. It takes longer, but if you need a large print of any of the images you will not have to rescan. Images will reduce fine. Images do not enlarge very well.

Monday, November 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM - Response #3

And you can use the tools at http://issuu.com to embed the yearbook in one of your site's pages.

Monday, November 14, 2011 at 5:08 PM - Response #4

Ray, I have scanned six (6) junior high and three (3) high school annuals. The junior high annuals were not very much of an issue because they were approximately 125 pages each. However, each of our senior high annuals were 250 to 275 pages. I had to scan the senior high annuals in 3-4 sections. (Background; I am using an iMAC (computer) with a HP 7300 OfficeJet (scan/printer)). I used the HP software with a setting of 300 or 400 dpi. Once I had the scanning complete for a particular, I used the "Preview" software with two (2) views/windows open. Using one view as the starting point, I took the second view to copy and drop a page (or multiple pages), to the correct location.

After an annual is complete, the "Preview" software would provide a 'PDF' file which would then provide a compressed file to below 10Mb. Where I used issuu.com to publish the source code.

The entire process was very time cosumming. For a 125 page book, my best recollection was 6 hours (each). That was after I got the process steps down (or understand them).

Once you get the code from issuu.com, you them have to edit it for size of the display. There are several Forum articles to help with that process.

Lastly, I did not like the display, which was one annual below the next. I had two junior high schools (3 years each) with one high school. So I built a table (2 by 3 with a picture of the yearbook cover and year below) for display. If you would like to view let me know.

John Ballantine
Robert E Lee, Class of 1967
Jacksonville FL

Monday, November 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM - Response #5

We thought that doing them all would be too much, but we scanned several pages from the 1911 yearbook, and that has been pretty popular. http://www.classcreator.com/Hobart-IN-1950-2014/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_link_id=6331.

Monday, November 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM - Response #6

Thanks to all. Lots of good idears. I know this is a really big project but I hope we can get thru it. I was not thinking that it would be 6 hours each. That would be 86 years maybe average 4 hours each, only 344 hours. I guess I better get started!

Our Historical Society has much more stuff than that to scan. I guess that is why they did not start yet. Maybe the next generation of scanners will be easier!

Thanks again.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM - Response #7

Our city library has scanned some yearbooks. I might be worthwhile to check in to see if yours has similar resources?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.