ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Adding HTML editor to Messages

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/24/17 07:49 PM Views: 5100 Replies: 18
Friday, November 24, 2017 at 7:49 PM

Any Chance we could have a "button" or "Tab" that would allow us to add a link in "Messages". There is already a tab to add a "Video" and "Photos". How about one to add a link? Or give us a button, say in the upper right hand corner of a new message that when "click" the Message area would be turned into an HTML editor?

Monday, November 27, 2017 at 3:01 PM - Response #1

Where are you referring to for Messages?

Monday, November 27, 2017 at 8:00 PM - Response #2

Hi Scott,

I was referring to as the Message Forum, I think you call it something else. I'll send you a screen shot. I was thinking you could add a button where the upper arrow is that would turn on/off the HTML editor OR add another tab at where the second arrow is that would allow us to add an external Link.

https://www.screencast.com/t/gohO9VTA4d6

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:15 PM - Response #3

Unfortunately, due to the age of the Message Forums (we no longer even include it on new sites), we are not performaing any updates to that existing code base.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 5:01 PM - Response #4

Comment image he posted I think is really What's New - two choices, style, etc.

IOW, I think he renamed it to Message Forum Idea I can't tell 100% but I think that's what he is referring to.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 6:06 PM - Response #5

[quote="Jack Vermeulen"]image he posted I think is really What's New - two choices, style, etc.

That's what I saw too in his screen snap. Being able to post a clickable link in a message posted in the What's New page (or when posting a "Message to the Class" in your own profile) would be a plus.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 8:08 PM - Response #6

Scott, what replaced it?? How do Classmates communicate with each other now?

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 11:52 PM - Response #7

John Ralph wrote:

[quote="Jack Vermeulen"]image he posted I think is really What's New - two choices, style, etc.

That's what I saw too in his screen snap. Being able to post a clickable link in a message posted in the What's New page (or when posting a "Message to the Class" in your own profile) would be a plus.

A clickable link can be posted via HTML source code but a "button" or "tab" would greatly simplify the process.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM - Response #8

The Message Forums were replaced a few years ago with the What's New page that aggregates all profile activity as well as new site activity by the admins.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 5:35 PM - Response #9

Scott, that screen shot he gave is from What's New. Just look. Those options he gave do not exist in the prior Message Forums Exclamation

I just looked at the old style to verify. I can't log into his page, but you can to see that his "Message Forum" is "What's New" renamed.

What's interesting is that the "old" actually had more capable message editing.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 11:23 PM - Response #10

Yes Scott, Jack is correct. I just changed the name.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 5:31 PM - Response #11

Sorry. I did not pick up on that the first time. Starting fresh now.... you want a way to add a link. It is my understanding that if you place a link in that field, that it retains the properties of a clickable link. Just format the link like so: http://www.classcreator.com ... that that should post as a clickable link. Test it and let me know.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 7:14 PM - Response #12

Hi Scott,

That does not work with the links that I want to use.

Here is an example of what I am looking for. It's from Canvas our Learning Management System. I think this HTML editor is pretty standard and can be just inserted into ClassCreator "What's New" page.

https://www.screencast.com/t/L2Yva2Q4JyU

Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 7:52 PM - Response #13

Can you post an example of the links that do not work.

I posted one and it worked like Scott explained. It looks like you need either http://, https:// or start with www to automatically convert to a link.

P.S. The regular CC editor is pretty much the same and more. Don't think classmates would get much use from that though Cool Comments actually support most html code directly too, if one knows how to do that.

Edited 11/30/17 8:01 PM
Friday, December 1, 2017 at 12:36 PM - Response #14

"Can you post an example of the links that do not work."

Friday, December 1, 2017 at 4:00 PM - Response #15

Scott, if you go to our Website it will be in the "What's New"/"Message Forum" and scroll down you will see this message:

Please cut and past the link below to view a Thanksgiving day card for you and your family:
https://www.jacquielawson.com/ecard/pickup?code=7096153674607&source=jl999&utm_medium=internal_email&utm_source=pickup&utm_campaign=receivercontent

I would like to change the long URL to "This is my Thanksgiving Card to our Classmates." Of Course highlighted in blue so they know it's clickable. I am a member of Jacquie Lawson cards.

Edited 12/01/17 4:10 PM
Friday, December 1, 2017 at 7:19 PM - Response #16

That 'Link works'. What you want to do - a message with a link can also be done. You just need to post the complete HTML. As I mentioned, comments support most html constructs. You can post YouTube, images and lots of things. The code below post just like you want

To generate this code, use the CC editor to make the Text, select that text and then use Link icon. Now go into Source mode and copy the code that is there. Post that as comment.

I think you want users to just click the link vs cutting and pasting, right? That's what this now does.

Edited 12/01/17 7:22 PM
Friday, December 1, 2017 at 7:41 PM - Response #17

SO how do I get into the CC Editor in the "What's New"/"Message Forum"?? Your Code works. Is there a way for the external link to appear in a new tab, so all view has to do is close the tab and not use the Back Button?

It is still cumbersome. Would be much easier using an HTML editor IMHO

Friday, December 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM - Response #18

While it would be nice to be able to use some of the editor functions in a message posted on What's New (or a Message To The Class in your own profile), it simply wasn't designed to be that complex. Would be nice for some of us, but...

What Jack's suggesting is that you can go to any page (or a 'scratch pad' page created to test with) using the admin Edit Site Pages option, use the editor to create what you want to see - including a link that opens in a new window/tab, click on Source, and copy/paste the result into a message.

Granted, that is not available to everyone, but it will work just fine for admins who want to add 'something extra' to messages. For everyone else, dealing with HTML is probably not something most would be comfortable with - and using 'normal' text messages (with attached photos or videos) is what Post A Message was designed to do.

Edited 12/01/17 10:09 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.