ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Classmate signed on that is NOT on my class list.

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/10/09 10:31 AM Views: 1814 Replies: 5
Friday, July 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Hi Everyone,
I apologize if this has been asked and answered before as I have been busy with other things for a while and our site is pretty self-sufficient at this point so I have not been very active with the forums lately.

I got a "new classmate" notification the other day and the person is NOT a member of our class. I did not have his name on our class list. I do not understand how he is able to get onto aour site without my approval and without even being on my class list in the first place?

Thank you in advance for your time!
Smile Diann Borthwick

Friday, July 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM - Response #1

Somebody can indeed join your web site under the name of another Classmate. And then can also change the name during or after signup. While you can't stop somebody from joining your site under the wrong name (short of password protecting your main Classmate Profiles page anyway, which I don't recommend), there are two things in place to deal with this issue if it's happening to you:

1) Our system will immediately send the Root Administrator a "Name Change Notification" email whenever a Classmate's name is changed, including during the initial signup process. This allows you to see what the name used to be, and what it is now. This is intended to help you keep up to date with valid Classmate name changes, but it is also intended to help you realize when somebody has deliberately or inadvertently joined your site using the wrong Classmate name.

2) If somebody is doing this deliberately, and especially if it continues to happen, I recommend you turn on the "New Classmate Verification" feature under your Preferences link. We sometimes refer to it here as the "anti hijacking feature." The feature is fully explained on your Preferences page, but essentially it renders the new user absolutely powerless until you've confirmed their identity.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 2:05 PM - Response #2

Hello Brad,

I have received three "name change on new signup" e-mails, but it says the original name and the new name are appear to be identical. Here is the latest example:
Original: William "Bill" Hickey

New Name: William "Bill" Hickey. Am I not reading this correctly. I looked at the format in the original list that I uploaded to the site and the format in the details that Bill entered. I see that instead of " " marks, it has "Bill". How does a member enter the quotes and have them stay as marks rather than converting to code? Is this why I got this name change?

I am sending this as a reply as I found this thread when I searched for information on this.

Glenn Ellen Smith
Napa High School Class of 1960
www.classcreator.com/Napa-CA-1960

Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM - Response #3

It's probably the " mark as you surmised. I'll have Mike tackle this Monday.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 6:22 PM - Response #4

In our welcome email "right after they sign up" we give them a set of instructions to follow and to make sure they have done three things relating to their profile.

We also tell them that if they want a nickname they should put it in 'single' quotes (not double). If interested I can sent you a copy of the email.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 8:01 PM - Response #5

Thank you for having Mike take a look at this. As always, you and your team come through!! I will go change the double quotes to single and save the classmate having to change it.

Thank you again for all your help.

Glenn Ellen

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.