ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate list upload rejecting file

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/04/10 03:56 PM Views: 1295 Replies: 7
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I uploaded a csv file based on the template that I had previously downloaded. The first column is MEMBER TYPE. I got a bunch of errors about the 4th column must be a valid email address. However, it is the FIFTH column in the template that is email address. I got a similar error for the 11th column, which should be country but the error was that it should a year_id. No column in the template is year_id.

If the MEMBER TYPE column were not there then the email WOULD be the 4th column, but that doesn't explain about year_id.

Obviously, others have used this successfully, so why do I have this problem? Or is the template wrong?

Larry (for Joanie)

Edited 05/04/10 4:01 PM
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM - Response #1

Welcome Joan!!!

Before you convert it to CVS format, do a search of the spreadsheet for a COMMA. If you have any commas, delete them. That will really mess you up.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM - Response #2
class_list2.xls

There are no commas; I did a search. It's acting as though the template is incorrect. I have attached the template that I downloaded. I can send the entire file if that is helpful (but not post it, of course).

Thanks,
Larry (tech support for Joanie)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM - Response #3

The format of your upload file is wrong. You used the EXPORT CLASS LIST for your template. You need to use the UPLOAD CLASS LIST/ DOWNLOAD TEMPLATE for the template.

It only has these columns:
First Name   Last Name   Married Name   Email   Address 1   
Address 2   City   State   Zip   Telephone

Edited 05/04/10 4:19 PM
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM - Response #4

that seems to be it! Thanks for your helpjavascript:addSmiley('Very Happy');

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM - Response #5

Well, almost. There appears to be no Country column, and a number of our classmates live in other countries.

hmm.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM - Response #6

I guess for those classmates, you will need to modify the country after they are uploaded.

It should still be quicker than manually adding each classmate.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM - Response #7

Country was left off deliberately. If we could put a big country dropdown list in Excel that'd be great, but Excel doesn't allow that. Thus people have to actually spell their country. And there lies the problem -- no standards. People could enter our own country all of these ways:

United States
U.S.
US
USA
U.S.A.
United States of America
America
The United States of America

Same goes for the UK

Britian
Great Britian
England
UK
U.K.
United Kingdom
The United Kingdom

This is the case with many countries, and now factor in typos and misspellings, and you have a non parsable mess. Thus Kyle is right, you should set countries for International Classmates after uploading.

Edited 05/04/10 6:02 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.