ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Entire Photo Gallery Copy for Classmates?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/30/10 11:30 AM Views: 3569 Replies: 40
Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM

At our Reunion, there was a CD with 240 Class Years Photos shown. That is now loaded on our website for all to see.

Classmates can certainly copy individual photos and Save onto their PC. Is there a way for them to copy all 240 at once, or at least a dozen or so at a time?

We would rather tell them how to copy for free, than sell CDs to mail. I saw how as Administrator I can Download the Gallery, but way too large (33MB) to send to anyone through email. Also, for some reason, that download Zip does not want to Unzip on any of my computers. If that zip file can function properly for them to Unzip, then the "possible" FTP capability for Platinum Members would be a great solution.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM - Response #1

The zip file is working fine for me when I try it. My best guess is maybe you didn't get a complete download. I'd try going back and downloading the full zip again. If it still won't open try updating your Zip utility from winzip.com.

The easiest solution here is to simply provide your Classmates a link to the same zip location you're using in your own Admin. That link is:

http://images.classcreator.com/download_gallery_photos.cfm?session_id=63DD24EF-2219-24ED-AE5AB78975893DBF&gid=9481

Since it's a very long link you'd want to bury the link behind some regular verbiage, such as "Click here to download our 240 reunion photos" or something like that. Then Classmates can simply click the link, download the 33 MB zip, and click it to open up the photos.

Edited 09/30/10 4:47 PM
Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM - Response #2

It might be good to break it up into 3-4 parts to make downloading easier. Smaller files have few problems. If you can make them less than 10 MB each, that's even better. Easier to email that way, too, if anybody wants to do that.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

The zip file is working fine for me when I try it. My best guess is maybe you didn't get a complete download. I'd try going back and downloading the full zip again. If it still won't open try updating your Zip utility from winzip.com.

The easiest solution here is to simply provide your Classmates a link to the same zip location you're using in your own Admin. That link is:

http://images.classcreator.com/download_...78975893DBF&gid=9481

Since it's a very long link you'd want to bury the link behind some regular verbiage, such as "Click here to download our 240 reunion photos" or something like that. Then Classmates can simply click the link, download the 33 MB zip, and click it to open up the photos.

Brad, no matter what I seem to do, on different computers, I still get mssage when trying to open that the Zip is an invalid or corrupted file. Sad

I get same results with the 240 pictures which a pretty large zip file (agree Mary), but I ALSO have the same error messages on another Gallery with only 3 photos in it. Not working on multiple PCs for some reason???

Edited 09/30/10 4:23 PM
Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM - Response #4

Try this:

Click here and then save the file with a DIFFERENT name than you saved it as before. Make sure you have the latest Winzip and then try unzipping the file.

At the moment I'm actually on a laptop at Disney World so I have no internal setup or anything else that would make it work for me and not for you. All we can do is write a zip file. It's just a standard zip file with nothing special added to it. When I click it here it opens up just fine with all 240 of your photos. Why you're having trouble on 2 different computers unfortunately I have no idea. All I can tell you is it's a standard zip file, and testing it externally here in Florida it's working fine.

Can any other Admins here click the link I just provided above and try unzipping the file? I'm wondering if anybody else will have any trouble with it.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM - Response #5

I just sent an email to another of my classmates, that understands computers (actually, the one that will soon buy ClassCreator for HIS class 1 year earlier than mine). I ask him to try the same link at his PC.

He just now responded with the following. It would be interesting if any other Administratos have similar issue????

There seems to be only one file in that zip and it is some 35 meg big but it has no file extension. No luck.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM - Response #6

That's impossible. Smile

Trust me all files are in there. Make sure he saves the file with a ".zip" extension. Otherwise his computer won't know what to do with the file when he clicks it.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

That's impossible. Smile

Trust me all files are in there. Make sure he saves the file with a ".zip" extension. Otherwise his computer won't know what to do with the file when he clicks it.

Thought so, and I DO trust you. Very Happy

I tried link you sent awhile ago, and got same error. I am using Winzip Pro 14.5

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM - Response #8

I tried Brad's link on FireFox and it worked fine.

I tried it again on Internet Explorer - Failed. (Invalid type)

So apparently FireFox is smarter than Internet Explorer or there is a problem with the zip file.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM - Response #9

Kyle Erickson wrote:

I tried Brad's link on FireFox and it worked fine.

I tried it again on Internet Explorer - Failed. (Invalid type)

So apparently FireFox is smarter than Internet Explorer or there is a problem with the zip file.

AHHA! That worked like a camp, using Firefox. Sounds like exactly the problem.....Internet Explorer.

Can someone check into that please? My classmates likely many of them do not have Firefox, as some barely know what a computer is Smile

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM - Response #10

I'm stumped. What version of Internet Explorer are you guys trying this on? I just clicked the link with IE8 on an ordinary HP laptop and the box came right up allowing me to save the full zip file complete with the .zip extension in tact.

If you want you can just upload the zip file to your File Vault and then link directly to the file. The link I'm providing above is actually telling the server to zip those 240 photos on the fly and then bring down the zip file. That's why it takes a moment after you click on it. For your purposes I suspect you're better off just putting up the zip file itself and linking to it, rather than running through the server processing like we're doing here.

Although that may work better for whatever reason, I'm still stumped. The browser should make no difference here whatsoever. It's the same link and it's just a zip file. How odd.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM - Response #11

Brad Switzer wrote:

I'm stumped. What version of Internet Explorer are you guys trying this on? I just clicked the link with IE8 on an ordinary HP laptop and the box came right up allowing me to save the full zip file complete with the .zip extension in tact.

If you want you can just upload the zip file to your File Vault and then link directly to the file. The link I'm providing above is actually telling the server to zip those 240 photos on the fly and then bring down the zip file. That's why it takes a moment after you click on it. For your purposes I suspect you're better off just putting up the zip file itself and linking to it, rather than running through the server processing like we're doing here.

Although that may work better for whatever reason, I'm still stumped. The browser should make no difference here whatsoever. It's the same link and it's just a zip file. How odd.

Yes, it is quite strange. I am using IE 8, which is my default, and most likely most other classmates. All I know is if I pasted the link to Firefox, it worked just fine. Weird!!!

I guess now that I am a Platinum Member, I could do as you suggest, put my new zip created in Firefox in the vault for them to download. What kind of command would I use to allow classmate to download from vault, the specific file name?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 6:25 PM - Response #12

I did a test. Download the photo_gallery.zip from FIREFOX and save it to the desktop.
Download the photo_gallery.zip from Internet Explorer and save it to the desktop.

When I mouse-over the Firefox one, it shows me the contents - like a normal zip would do (files/folders in zip file: 240, list of filenames).

When I mouse-over the Internet Explorer one, I don't get the list of files in the zip file.

They are NOT the same files that get saved to the desktop. Something is wrong with Internet Explorer version.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM - Response #13

Kyle,

I posted the same problem the other night. You replied:
RE: RE: Photo Gallery download
Posted Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I looked at some of the photos and didn't see any problems. Please be more specific if you can about the error message and which photo you are looking at and which classmate's photo gallery.
_ _ _ _ _ _

I had the same problem. However, I paused before saving this to try it again. It worked! Thanks for fixing IE!

Gwen

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 11:49 PM - Response #14

Gwen,

Sorry that I didn't understand your problem - Glad you found this forum and the answer to your question.

It seems to work with FIrefox, though. Will have a programmer look into this to see why the files are different for Internet Explorer and FireFox.

Kyle

Friday, October 1, 2010 at 10:15 PM - Response #15

Well, I was able to download from the photo gallery last evening. Tonight, I can not. As before and as noted above, using IE, I am getting Failed. (Invalid type or corrupt) I do not use another browser. I am lost at what to do now.

Gwen

Friday, October 1, 2010 at 10:23 PM - Response #16

We're going to try rewriting this. I still can't get it to fail a single time in either browser. Clearly all of you are though. We'll see if the rewrite helps.

Saturday, October 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM - Response #17

I use CrossLoop when welcoming my brother-in-law's computer help or helping others. Should you like to see this happen and look further at that time, feel free to let me know. If it may help, I am all for it.

Gwen Corey

Saturday, October 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM - Response #18

Gwen Corey wrote:

I use CrossLoop when welcoming my brother-in-law's computer help or helping others. Should you like to see this happen and look further at that time, feel free to let me know. If it may help, I am all for it.

Gwen Corey

In addition... I always wonder if it is user-error. Yet, I can not imagine how so many of us can mess this up by clicking on the download arrow. It worked for me once in the middle of several tries. That puzzles me more. Confused

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 12:22 AM - Response #19

I was just informed my link won't work for most other users here. Smile Sometimes I'm the last to know. In any case we are rewriting this and let's see if the new one has a little better results.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 2:27 AM - Response #20

Let us know when your re-write is completed.

Thanks, Brad.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM - Response #21

Checking in to see if the IE download has been re-written. It has been two weeks since our reunion.

Thanks.
Gwen

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM - Response #22

Gwen Corey wrote:

Checking in to see if the IE download has been re-written. It has been two weeks since our reunion.

Thanks.
Gwen

Same here, but I know you guys are busy. My reunion was Sep 25th, and classmates are wanting the 240 photos. Most do not unfortunately have Firefox.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM - Response #23

Ours was the same weekend, Derrell. We have over 400 photos uploaded by classmates. I have some of them but not all downloaded. I do not want to finish the slideshow without the other photos.

Just looking for a guess-timate as to timing. Smile

Gwen

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM - Response #24

Probably late October. As a short term measure though, simply download your zip file, then upload it to your File Vault. Then just provide a link to Classmates to the zip file. That'll work for sure. If anyone needs assistance doing this just let me know.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM - Response #25

Brad Switzer wrote:

Probably late October. As a short term measure though, simply download your zip file, then upload it to your File Vault. Then just provide a link to Classmates to the zip file. That'll work for sure. If anyone needs assistance doing this just let me know.

I must be loading to vault incorrectly for the gallery_photos.zip. It returns Invalid File Type.

I also will need help with link, if this can get into the Vault.

Thanks!

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM - Response #26

I don't know how you are doing it, but for sure you don't want to do it through the IMAGE button because ZIP files are not images. So go through the INSERT/EDIT LINK and access the FILE VAULT from there. Then BROWSE to find the zip file, then UPLOAD. It should allow it there.

After everyone downloads it, you probably want to delete it from your file vault because it will remain there until you delete it just taking up space. Maybe send out a deadline for others to download it and after the deadline, just delete it.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM - Response #27

Oops. In the wrong thread again. (This is the only thing I do not like about Forums. There are so many, it is difficult finding the same one you were in last week - even by searching.)

Okay... I need to find the thread that talks about us getting the invalid file or corrupt file error when trying to download the photos in a gallery. That is still happening. It is what I was talking about in my post today.

I'm off to search, again. My apologies for being in the wrong thread.

Gwen

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM - Response #28

If I read my own posts above right, I am in the right thread.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM - Response #29

Brad Switzer wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Brad. To be sure we are on the same page, I use IE and have only been able to download the gallery photos once - between many, many failed attempts. Since the one download, classmates have added more photos. I need to download them to complete a slide show of the reunion.

I can not copy a single photo either. I'm stuck. I tried to get a couple classmates to zip their photos to send to me. I must have been speaking Greek.

I have to take a break from this. Back in bit to see if anyone has shared a secret 'how to'. Ha ha ha. Smile

Gwen

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 5:31 PM - Response #30

Kyle Erickson wrote:

I don't know how you are doing it, but for sure you don't want to do it through the IMAGE button because ZIP files are not images. So go through the INSERT/EDIT LINK and access the FILE VAULT from there. Then BROWSE to find the zip file, then UPLOAD. It should allow it there.

After everyone downloads it, you probably want to delete it from your file vault because it will remain there until you delete it just taking up space. Maybe send out a deadline for others to download it and after the deadline, just delete it.

Geez, you're right of course. That is what I was doing.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM - Response #31

Kyle Erickson wrote:

OK Kyle, I did it correctly this time and have a file 'gallery_photos.zip' in the vault at 34,689 KB wow!

I don't know the URL link to post for classmates to download. Can you help me on that please. I already know how to 'shorten' it into a text.

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM - Response #32

This is how you get the link,
Go to a content edit page and click on INSERT/EDIT LINK.
Click on File Vault
Click on your zip file blue text link
click on INSERT button.

You will then have a link that shows the exact location on the system of your zip file.

Copy the displayed URL and then paste it in your browser and then put your domain name in front of it. Press ENTER in the URL of your browser and see if it brings up a dialog box saying "Do you want to save this .ZIP file?" If so, then the link location in your browser window is the URL you want to share with your classmates.

Let me know if you still need a little more help.

The above is a GENERAL description. I could post the exact location of your .zip file, but then everyone on these forums could also download your zip file. Maybe that isn't what you want. I could also Private Message you the URL if you need me to do that.

Kyle

Friday, October 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM - Response #33

Kyle Erickson wrote:

This is how you get the link,
Go to a content edit page and click on INSERT/EDIT LINK.
Click on File Vault
Click on your zip file blue text link
click on INSERT button.

You will then have a link that shows the exact location on the system of your zip file.

Copy the displayed URL and then paste it in your browser and then put your domain name in front of it. Press ENTER in the URL of your browser and see if it brings up a dialog box saying "Do you want to save this .ZIP file?" If so, then the link location in your browser window is the URL you want to share with your classmates.

Let me know if you still need a little more help.

The above is a GENERAL description. I could post the exact location of your .zip file, but then everyone on these forums could also download your zip file. Maybe that isn't what you want. I could also Private Message you the URL if you need me to do that.

Kyle

Kyle, your instructions were very clear and all worked just fine.

I was wondering, probably no way to do this currently, but it would be nice information just to know "who downloads" this file and when. Is that possible, or would that be an enhancement? Perhaps when the FTP occurs, that would be easier.

Edited 10/08/10 10:51 PM
Friday, November 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM - Response #34

Kyle Erickson wrote:

I did a test. Download the photo_gallery.zip from FIREFOX and save it to the desktop.
Download the photo_gallery.zip from Internet Explorer and save it to the desktop.

When I mouse-over the Firefox one, it shows me the contents - like a normal zip would do (files/folders in zip file: 240, list of filenames).

When I mouse-over the Internet Explorer one, I don't get the list of files in the zip file.

They are NOT the same files that get saved to the desktop. Something is wrong with Internet Explorer version.

Is there any expected fix date to download Gallery Photos into Zip file to work in Internet Explorer 8? It works fine in Firefox, but doesn't work at all in IE8.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM - Response #35

The rewrite should be complete this week, which may or may not fix the problem. I've never been able to duplicate the problem, not even in IE, so for the moment I'm going to cross my fingers and hope the rewrite magically fixes the problem in IE for you.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM - Response #36

Ah! understand now. Thanks Brad.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:54 PM - Response #37

I had inadvertently flipped my internal and external comments. Smile Oops.

Friday, November 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM - Response #38

Brad Switzer wrote:

The rewrite should be complete this week, which may or may not fix the problem. I've never been able to duplicate the problem, not even in IE, so for the moment I'm going to cross my fingers and hope the rewrite magically fixes the problem in IE for you.

Hi Brad,

I just tried export to zip file within Internet Explorer, and it still remains invalid file. What rewrite do you mean completing this week? Not the major rewrite I assume; as I thought that was early 2011.... I haven't noticed anything different, or at least jump out at me, for a rewrite??

Friday, November 12, 2010 at 5:06 PM - Response #39

No, the system restructure won't be launching until 2011. This is a small (or was expected to be) rewrite of the zip system but it turns out there's a couple additional things that have to happen here. Workin' on it.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 8:12 AM - Response #40

Derrell,

This is now working. I tried to download the zip file in Internet Explorer the first time (before the fix) and it didn't work. Now when I try, it works.

There is a new option to download straight to your File Vault. I also tried this option and it worked, too.

Please verify that it is working for you, too.

Kyle

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.