ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Contact info visible to all members ?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/16/22 09:53 PM Views: 3387 Replies: 8
Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 9:53 PM

Is this possible ? In 2011, when I created the site for my high school class, I seem to remember I had a choice, as the Admin, to allow all classmates’ contact info to be visible, and I chose not to allow it. Now I don’t find such an Admin option available, or even an individual member option. Is it a possibility or not ?

Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 10:56 PM - Response #1
Screenshot 2022-07-16 194838.jpg

At the bottom of the page accessed by a classmate via Edit Profile under Member Functions the option is presented by checking the box shown in the attached screen shot.

Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 11:13 PM - Response #2

But profile info is not a person’s contact info.

Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 11:45 PM - Response #3

Hi Paula,

The site is built to not disclose personal contact information to anyone other than the admins. Classmates can send each other messages through the system without ever having to share their email address. They can send a Private message under the master photo on someone's profiles, they can send a message under Member Functions > Message Center or you can post a public message on their profile (as long as the classmate has profile comments turned on for their profile - they have the option to turn that off)

There isn't an admin option to share contact info. They can private message each other their actual email address if they wish but in general only admins will see classmate emails.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 12:00 AM - Response #4

Back then, some personal contact information from details (like street address and phone number) was visible to logged in members as part of a profile display - and was visible to outsiders and search engines too if that "block visibility" option was not checked.

Class Creator removed the display of most personal contact info - except for city and state - years ago when there was a growing public concern about online privacy being debated and they believed the display could be seen as problem involving an unwanted "privacy violation".

We got some negative feedback when that was done, and decided that information was something people often wanted. Class Creator can turn on an option which removes the check box which members can uncheck to allow outsiders to view profiles, and we created a new profile question where those who wished to voluntarily share their choice of contact info with only logged in members (and guests) could enter full street address, city and state, zip, phone numbers - and even email address - if they were willing to share. Many took advantage of that option.

Edited 07/17/22 12:30 AM
Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 12:34 AM - Response #5

John, where is this new profile question - I don’t see it.

Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 1:18 AM - Response #6
ContactInfo.jpg

Paula,
You wouldn't see it unless you were a member editing (or viewing) a profile.

Profile generator item attached.

Sunday, July 17, 2022 at 1:36 AM - Response #7

Ok, thank you - now I get it !

Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 1:52 PM - Response #8

Hi Jessica - I’ve added a profile question to share contact info, so please invoke the Profile Privacy Override option so that nobody can leave their profile open to outsiders and search engines.
Thank you, Paula

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.