ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

JOIN HERE vs If you are message

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/03/14 12:37 AM Views: 1062 Replies: 14
Friday, January 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I noticed that if there's an admin entered address the message that comes up when clicking a profile name is:

If you are Jimmy, please click here to update your profile!

If there is no admin entered address it's

JOIN HERE!

---------------------------

That's puzzling. Why are there two different types of messages when in both cases they have not joined and are not really updating their profile. No different than joining anyway.

Confused.

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM - Response #1

Those two messages have been present for quite some time. Until this morning if the admin entered only contact information for a classmate the Join Here message applied. The If you are message applied if the admin had entered some info in the profile.

This morning because of the addition of yearbook photo editing capability that changed to the If you are message for some of the classmates for which there is only admin entered contact info. Some remain unchanged. Right now it's a very mixed bag that CC is trying to straighten out. I was happy with the messages as they previously applied and was also happy that in neither instance was the classmate's name on the Profiles page followed by a check mark.

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 1:19 AM - Response #2

You are probably correct that it was always there. I never paid any attention to that since someone else was in charge of setting up the profiles. Now that it's been there for a few years and with the new profile format testing, I started noticing a few anomalies.

There is only an address in the profiles with the "update message" - no profile information besides that.

I'm cleaning up some admin using a profile career field for "missing" (since nobody volunteered to fix that mistake) and when I scrubbed the profiles, the "update" stuck around because there is still an address.

I don't think the "update profile" message belongs even if an admin had entered profile information. Seems over thinking the problem similar to some other thingsWink

If someone has not joined, then it should be JOIN HERE in all cases. No need for two messages. KISS

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM - Response #3
Nancy.jpg

Attached is a screen shot that shows profile information I added for a number of classmates. That's how I knew about the If you are message. In this instance I think the display should remain the same but would agree that it would be better if the update request was replaced with Join Here.

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 2:02 AM - Response #4

Thank your for showing me something I've never seenExclamation

Not a single one of mine say that. They just have the Top line saying "If you are ..... " and sometimes "Residing in"

There's nothing on the lower section that explains as your example does. It's totally blank.

What's really odd is that sometimes there's no address and it's still the same "If you are..." message.

For ones with an address entered, there is no residing shown.

And if there's an email address and a physical address, it's a Join Here! again.

And if there's no email and a physical address it's "If you are .." with a residing.

Now you can see why this makes no sense to me. At least yours has that bottom line that is a bit clearer.

I'm guessing there is a one time flag is stuck since originally some had an erroneous profile entry. I assumed it would all clear up if I removed it. NOT!

If that's true, then it would be nice to have a way to "clear". It's not a huge problem since these people haven't joined for 4 years.

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 2:54 AM - Response #5

Based on the radio button selection at the top of your classmate profiles page, and based on what the admin has or hasn't entered into the profile on behalf of the classmate (if you've selected the second radio button) you'll get different results. Trust me it makes sense based on what your goal is and what you've selected. I mentioned this is the other thread but a bottom profile comment feature is being interpreted as admin-entered info on behalf of a classmate but of course really isn't (again, if you've got the second radio button selected). In fact there should be no comment feature at all for a classmate that has never joined. That's on the hit list for tomorrow and this should be resolved. Note though, that the join message and screens will still vary based on your radio button selection and what you have or haven't entered on behalf of a non joined classmate. Probably sound a bit convoluted here I know but if you go play around with those settings and data you'll see it really does make perfect sense. Admins have different goals and that's how we got those two radio buttons years ago at the top of the Manage Classmates page in the first place.

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM - Response #6

FC, since you've entered that comment when they haven't joined yet, will you be able to remove it when they do join? Can we remove our own comments?

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM - Response #7

Mary Smith - SPHSAA President & Alumni Records wrote:

FC, since you've entered that comment when they haven't joined yet, will you be able to remove it when they do join? Can we remove our own comments?

The answers to your questions are yes and yes. The longer answer is I thought the classmate could remove anything I entered in the profile before they joined once they joined. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. I say that because a classmate joined and the verbiage I entered was still there. We never communicated as to whether or not he could have removed it. When I saw it I went in and removed my comments.

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM - Response #8

Brad Switzer wrote:

Based on the radio button selection at the top of your classmate profiles page, and based on what the admin has or hasn't entered into the profile on behalf of the classmate (if you've selected the second radio button) you'll get different results. Trust me it makes sense based on what your goal is and what you've selected. I mentioned this is the other thread but a bottom profile comment feature is being interpreted as admin-entered info on behalf of a classmate but of course really isn't (again, if you've got the second radio button selected). In fact there should be no comment feature at all for a classmate that has never joined. That's on the hit list for tomorrow and this should be resolved. Note though, that the join message and screens will still vary based on your radio button selection and what you have or haven't entered on behalf of a non joined classmate. Probably sound a bit convoluted here I know but if you go play around with those settings and data you'll see it really does make perfect sense. Admins have different goals and that's how we got those two radio buttons years ago at the top of the Manage Classmates page in the first place.

Thanks Brad. That functionality is giving me exactly what I wanted. I do however think the verbiage shown in the screenshot in my response #3 would be better if it said something like "click here to join" rather than "click here to update your profile."

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 1:42 PM - Response #9

Beat ya too this one. Smile We already updated that verbiage last night. See now I'm reading your mind. Smile

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM - Response #10

Thanks Bock. Looks like message was always made join vs update. So one down and one to goWink

Difference in messages still doesn't cook properly.

We allow comments on the bottom only. However, there is no ability to enter comments on any of the ones I mentioned. And there are no comments. Plus IDENTICAL profiles behave differently.

Please read the following - there's something wrong here. There are no comments nor can anyone leave comments on any of them.

Here's are two identical entries, no address, no email, no profile.

Judi Bailey says "update profile"
Pattie Coffman says "Join Here"

and here's one with just an address (does not show)
Lawrence Carson - says "Join"

this one has an address, shows city,st
Chery Cyr - says "If you are " (questionable, see below)

Sometimes an address will show and it says "If you are join"

Trust me, makes no sense at all. As noted, I think there's a stuck one-time indicator for a profile somewhere that isn't reset properly.

Essentially, if there's NOTHING to show in a profile and no address, then it should always be JOIN HERE!

Not sure if just a city,state qualifies for a difference eitherWink

Friday, January 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM - Response #11

And another weird one Del Guyott.

Has an address, no email, says "If you are"

AND

Comments are allowed plus send message. Who would they send the message to?

This is the only one so far with comments and send message.

Working..

Pete Hopp same

(edit as noted in other topic these have no email, but do have a PW for some reason. System does not let me remove PW even though there's no email. Should not be considered "full".)

Edited 01/03/14 7:21 PM
Friday, January 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM - Response #12

On this issue. Thanks Jack. Just FYI we'll read every issue regardless of where posted. I'll address this one right here when I have an answer from Programming.

Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM - Response #13

Copied here from Proportional topic

There are still more odd things with profiles. Some are showing or not showing yearbooks images to casual visitors due to the same way that profiles are being misinterpreted. (In this instance it's not a big deal, but potentially could be.)

This is shown by comparing Bailey vs Coffman.

Bailey used to have an erroneous entry in a profile Career field that I deleted. I assumed that this would clear up the mistaken system assumption that this was somehow a "FULL" profile.

That didn't work, which led to my theory that CC is setting a 1-time status flag that nothing can reset. So that's why I suggested an option to disable this status unless the classmate actually joined. The other choice is to add code to scan a profile and if there's nothing there, reset the flag.

Both profiles have no email, no pw, no profile, no master, no photos. Neither one has "joined".

These display differently for both logged in and logged out. The problem now is that one shows a yearbook picture because it's considered an "unlocked" profile and the other one is merely a "JOIN HERE!" without any yearbook image showing.

Just click them and it's obvious what I'm talking aboutShocked

Edited 01/04/14 11:35 PM
Saturday, January 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM - Response #14

Will check it out with a programmer next week, thanks.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.