ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

IE vs Firefox

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/24/10 12:58 PM Views: 2545 Replies: 19
Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Can anyone give me some feedback on using IE or Firefox. I right now am using IE. Was just wondering if one is better or not. IE seems to be working just fine for me now. I am thinking of moving to Firefox, but wanted to know the pros anc cons of each.
IE works well with ClassCreator.
Gary

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 1:39 PM - Response #1

I use Firefox and find it works very well with Classcreator, it's all I've ever used. As for the pro and cons, it's been too long since I've used IE to give you any useful information.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM - Response #2

I'm currently using IE, Chrome, and I recently added Firefox. It seems each one does one thing better than the others. Spacing,font sizes, and the way things are displayed seem to be the biggest variations. Recently I added art to the site that viewed great in IE and Chrome, but totally blew out FF. I would not have known this, if I had not heard from a classmate.

I never would have added Chrome, if I had not run into major problems with a DEP (data execution prevention) shutdowns in IE each time I upload pictures. I've tried a bunch of fixes for that one, but it just won't go away!

I'm still most comfortable with Chrome...it seems that FF editing is more difficult (cut and paste, etc) requiring I use keyboard commands, rather than right click and drop down menus. This could be caused by operator error...still working that one out! Embarassed

I'm very interested in this conversation, and hoping we get input from several people. Toggling between 3 browsers is making me crazy!

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM - Response #3

I think whatever you do to your site will look better on the browser that you used to make changes.

I use IE but had to use Firefox recently and the site looked and acted differently. The spacing was horrible, the add ons acted differently and so on. Subtle differences that most people probably won't notice, but perfectionists like most web admins will.

With that thinking I will stay with IE since that is what the majority of people use. The site should look the best to the most amount of people.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM - Response #4

Okay this makes me a little concerned that maybe my site isn't viewing as I see it, since I only use FF and am on a Mac. But I do use the website "browsershots.org" to see how other browsers display my home page. Mainly I did this to verify that there isn't a huge block of white space on my site as seen on other sites here.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM - Response #5

Great conversation going here. Now I read of another browser CHROME. Can you load all three on your computer, IE, FireFox, and Chrome and see your your webpage looks? I have always been in IE and it seems fine to me, but I was wondering if someone else viewing in FireFox or Chome if it looks OK.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 4:38 PM - Response #6

Chrome is a Google Browser. I am the only person in my class of 137 that uses it. I wouldn't have started with it, if I had known to look up the browsers being used by the rest of my classmates, before starting.

The big thing I dislike about Chrome is that the font size and spacing I set up on the page is never the same on IE or FF. But I am comfortable using it for general editing, and I have a number of other Chrome aps running on my computer, so I stay with it. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't recommend it for Class Creator editing, but I have to say, it does have some nice features.

I tried browsershots.org several times, and never have gotten decent results. It gives one or two examples, and then seems to lock-up. Anyone else have trouble with it?

Oh! yes, I do have all three loaded, and running without problems...well at least, so far!

Edited 01/24/10 4:44 PM
Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM - Response #7

The only problem I have using the browserweb.org site is that it take so long to download the screen shots, and if I don't check back in time, the screen shots expire. But I think that is because I've got so many different browsers chosen, maybe if I only choose a few it will run faster.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM - Response #8

I use Firefox and IE and if I want to make changes to the site I do not do it Firefox. Things tend to look differently when you do them if Firefox and IE is more user friendly for CC. It's also easier and faster to use as far as copy and pasting. Backgrounds for your home page are way more difficualt to use and change in Firefox. So if it were me Firefox is good for a lot of things but personally I never use it to make changes to my site, I only use IE. Very Happy

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 6:27 PM - Response #9

That's interesting, I don't seem to have any problem using FF for copying/pasting, uploading backgrounds, etc. Maybe it's just what one is use to.

I have to say the only thing I do notice is the spacing, it seems that more space is added when putting in a line break, like 1 1/2 spaces instead of just 1, maybe that's FF. Since I don't use IE I can't tell. So instead I put all my text into Word then copy and paste it into the editor, this way I maintain the spacing I want.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM - Response #10

Gary Smith wrote:

Great conversation going here. Now I read of another browser CHROME. Can you load all three on your computer, IE, FireFox, and Chrome and see your your webpage looks? I have always been in IE and it seems fine to me, but I was wondering if someone else viewing in FireFox or Chome if it looks OK.

My main browser is Chrome, but I also fire up IE, FF, Opera and Safari on occasion, especially since I've noticed differences in how the other browsers render our CC pages.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 6:42 PM - Response #11

I noticed that too, the spacing thing! Maybe I still have more to learn about Firefox! But it's all in what's doing it for you, the most! Play with both and you will be able to tell which one you are more comfortable! Very Happy

Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM - Response #12
gaah.gif

Yvette Allen wrote:

I noticed that too, the spacing thing! Maybe I still have more to learn about Firefox! But it's all in what's doing it for you, the most! Play with both and you will be able to tell which one you are more comfortable! Very Happy

Don't you just find that frustrating! When I first started, it drove me CRAZY.

Edited 01/24/10 6:53 PM
Sunday, January 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM - Response #13

Yes it does, very much, because I have OCD and I am very much a perfectionist and I want my pages perfect and set exactly the way I want them to be, and when you go to change them it changes it too much on your site if you look at it in IE!Sad

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM - Response #14

Just my 2cents,.,.,
I've been using IE and FF for a year to see how things look to my folks who use one or the other.
I've found litte issues like spacing, etc, but both will work ok.

My problem is that FF doesn't play well with Playlist and some other similar options. Playlist knows about this, but told me that FF won't work with them to resolve the issue.

I like FF, but have put a statement on my site that says it works better with IE. Using only IE has eliminated any problems that I had.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM - Response #15

This is frustrating that browsers all display pages differently. I just downloaded Chrome and viewed my home page and text is overlapping other text. I, too, am like most web designers and want a perfect looking page, in all browsers. There must be some trick on getting all web browsers to show pages similar, the yahoo home page does it, the CC History/Video page is similar, but when I use text sizes in Cc, one browser may have it large whereas another displays it small. Very frustrating...

Monday, February 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM - Response #16

The root administrator and I as just an administrator did not know that we were using different browsers until I noticed that the spacing on our home page would changed periodically in terms of the distance between a picture we had at the top of the home page and the Welcoming text we had below the picture. Whenever I saw a huge amount of space (using FF) I would close it up and then the root administrator using IE would ask me what I did. I said just trying to close up the space. Hence we discovered the difference between browsers in terms of spacing. (I guess we as "joint" caretakers of the site are going to have to agree on a common browser. In addition I loaded up Opera and noticed that Opera produces an intermediate amount of space between the other two browsers. I/E produces little space, Opera an intermediate amount and FF the most.
We have not gone "public" with our site just yet in terms of announcing it to other classmates. We want to get all of the bugs out of the system since we are brand new to this. Our concern now is: will Mac users get even different results (neither of us has a Mac) and will our classmates get unusual visuals that we don't know about? And what experience do others have in terms of the most popular and/or commonly used browsers among classmates?

Rich
HF-Viking Class of 1961

Monday, February 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM - Response #17

I like FF, but 85+% of my classmates come into the site using IE (per Google's Analysis). So I put a statement on the site saying that it is best viewed using IE and that's what we use to edit everything. No more problems.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM - Response #18

IE gets my vote! I do all of my class site creations in IE and I have two sites now. I have had too many problems with Fire Fox!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM - Response #19

I use FF as my standard browser because I just don't like the unecessary changes that MicroCrap does to their OS (and programs such as IE) with their weekly updates. However, for some reason FF has a tendancy to "lock up" on pages within CC, where I have to stop the page loading and refresh it, sometimes multiple times until the page loads. IE does not give me this problem. Maybe it's an add-on in FF causing this, but it happens in multiple locations, even on a T1 line. I also found that formatting a page within IE works better in all browsers, as apposed to formatting a page in FF and not displayed correctly in IE or Chrome. So I will now stick to IE to view CC and to make changes.

Edited 02/04/10 9:17 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.