ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Displaying Home Page Hits From Another Site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/27/13 11:28 PM Views: 929 Replies: 4
Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM

The admin for the Springfield High School Class of 1960 and I are in frequent competition on a number of items. One of those is home page hits. With the variable $homepage_hits$ I am able to display in real time what my hits are. Is there anyway I can display in real time on my site the homepage hits for 1960?

One thought I had was to have a gallery created on 1960 that I could embed on 1958. However, that only works for photos not for text.

Sunday, July 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM - Response #1

Good idea, F C! I will be watching this thread as I feel I may lose classes when the FB app goes live. This will make it sting a bit less and keep an open door. I like it!

Sunday, July 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM - Response #2

CC $homepage_hits$ dynamically generates the number when the page loads for a CC site (along with all the other CC code you can see when viewed as source using your browser). Or put another way, CC pages are created in "real time" and not just stored as static files.

I didn't quite understand how using a gallery from 1960 site on your 1958 site would give you the $homepage_hits$ for 1960 site? The gallery page will be generated for your class, not 1960 (even if you pulled the images from 1960). Is there something I'm not seeing here?

iframe can load a page from another class (with $homepage_hits$) on your site, however, that will also drag in all the other menus from the 1960 site and look odd.

I see that the 1960 class edits the home page to show both your hit numbers. I'm assuming the idea here is to automate these values.

Not sure how easy it is to parse an iframe on the client side. Some things get tricky in javascript. Might be a way to go.

Just massaging the conceptCool

Monday, July 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM - Response #3

Although shared content/syndication is implied, might that also be an application for RSS feed?

"Most webfeeds maintain a running list of the latest content items posted to a site. Each item in the feed includes a headline and often a summary that corresponds to a new piece of content on the Web site. That content usually is text (like an article or weblog entry), but it could also be a discussion thread, cartoon strip, audio file, spreadsheet, or any other kind of online content." - Extracted from: http://www.contentious.com/2004/05/04/part-2-how-most-webfeeds-rss-work/#sthash.Jt4RfEp6.dpuf

Monday, July 29, 2013 at 1:51 PM - Response #4

RSS feed is another interesting concept with a few strings attached.

In glancing, looks one has to manually edit the number to send since a page has to load for CC to generate the number. Also not sure if the file vault can support this concept.

Then we need an RSS reader on the other side.

Beyond that, this would open up interesting possibilities for schools with independent CC sites like FC has in exchanging data.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.