ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Importing Data: Addresses

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/26/08 02:20 PM Views: 1479 Replies: 4
Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I uploaded names and known address, phone and e-mail for everyone in my class from a CSV file. But when a classmate wants to register, the system asks them to enter their address, phone and e-mail. It doesn't display any of the info I had uploaded. Questions: Does this mean my upload was unsuccessful? If my upload was successful, why do my classmates have to re-enter info that is already entered?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM - Response #1

We actually did it this way in the beginning but it caused two significant problems:

1) Many new users didn't understand they could or should change information that was showing if that information was not correct. Many Administrators have incorrect addresses, email addresses, etc. for Classmates. So information was frequently not getting changed to the correct information.

2) New Classmates often wouldn't look carefully enough and scrutinize all existing information. Thus inaccurate email addresses, telephone numbers, etc. were often being left in the system even if the Classmate did understand that information could/should be changed.

By letting the Classmate enter ALL information, what that does is assure that you, the Administrator, actually get current information, and removes all possibility of inaccurate information being left on your Class List. As the entire Classmate signup process takes a total of about 5 minutes anyway, we determined it was better for Administrators to always get current information, even if that means the Classmate has to spend an extra minute or two entering it.

Edited 07/26/08 2:54 PM
Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM - Response #2

smart! good explanation..i wondered the same thing.

Edited 07/26/08 11:31 PM
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 11:16 PM - Response #3

That must mean the classmate overwrites whatever the Admin entered, right? When we download the current file, it will have whatever the admin entered that hasn't been changed by a profile creation...right?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 at 12:09 AM - Response #4

Right, and right. When the Classmate signs up, any prior information entered by the Admin is overwritten. Again, the assumption being that information that was just supplied by the Classmate is more current than information that was entered by the Administrator.

When you download your Class List, you will always get a snapshot of all current information. That includes anything you have entered previsouly that has not been overridden by a Classmate, and also all information that has been inputted by your Classmates.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.