ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Recent Visitors

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/26/08 01:00 PM Views: 1643 Replies: 6
Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM

I like the section on the home page where it shows who has done profile updates. However, I would also like to see recent visitors. They may not have updated their profile, but just checked the site out or visited to get a PM. That would give other classmates as well as admin an indication of how much traffic the site is getting. If people see alot of traffic, it may encourage them to check the site more often.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:39 PM - Response #1

Let me give you 3 comments on this:

1) Many Classmates browse sites while not logged in. The only reason to log in is if you need to access something restricted, or post in the message forums. If a Classmate does not log in we have no way of knowing they are browsing the site. Thus the last logins box would be somewhat misleading, as there would actually be many more visits than what's known/shown.

2) Privacy. Lots of people like to "pop into" sites many times throughout the day, and many people just stay logged in, thus every visit would count. If every time you visit you are leaving a mark that everybody can see, it may actually hamper somebody's desire to visit the site more frequently.

3) We will be putting in a visitor counter you can optionally turn on at the bottom of your home page. While it won't show specific classmate names, it will actually give a better representation of overall site traffic.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:53 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

Let me give you 3 comments on this:

1) Many Classmates browse sites while not logged in. The only reason to log in is if you need to access something restricted, or post in the message forums. If a Classmate does not log in we have no way of knowing they are browsing the site. Thus the last logins box would be somewhat misleading, as there would actually be many more visits than what's known/shown.

2) Privacy. Lots of people like to "pop into" sites many times throughout the day, and many people just stay logged in, thus every visit would count. If every time you visit you are leaving a mark that everybody can see, it may actually hamper somebody's desire to visit the site more frequently.

3) We will be putting in a visitor counter you can optionally turn on at the bottom of your home page. While it won't show specific classmate names, it will actually give a better representation of overall site traffic.

I didn't think about #2. That's a good point. Someone might feel inhibited if their visits are being counted, especially if they visit everyday.

What about a thing that shows who is online right now, sort of like is indicated on this message board?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM - Response #3

That ability is coming in some new designs we are dubbing "real time communication" templates. You'll be able to see who's online, send real time bulletins to other users, send real time instant messages to other users, talk over the course of time on threaded discussion forums, and live chat as a group with Classmates who are logged in.

This is an extremely complex undertaking, and way down on the list behind numerous more pressing features. But, it is coming. Sometime in 2009. Every time I mention the real time communication templates here in the forums I also need to point out that real time communication (dedicated connections to the server) like this are extremely expensive, thus anybody wishing to upgrade to these will have to pay some type of membership fee. Upgrading to real time templates will be optional. For those who wish to do it, we're going to do our best to keep the cost to under $100 a year for Administrators, and your Classmates will continue to have access for free. If we're not able to keep it under $100 a year, it will not be much more than that. Stay tuned, lots of exciting things are ahead.

Edited 07/26/08 3:00 PM
Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 6:04 PM - Response #4

100.00 per class/year would be a small price to pay. Great idea Brad.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM - Response #5

Hey Brad,

Was this visitor counter ever added?

Thanks

Jason

Saturday, March 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM - Response #6

No, I just checked where it is. It's after threaded message forums, threaded email, community photo galleries, live chat, instant messaging and a few other things we consider higher priority. Everything on the Tracker eventually makes the system though.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.