ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

passwords are missing

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/31/09 04:53 PM Views: 1203 Replies: 8
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Hi,

I am having an issue with passwords. I have searched the posts and read the FAQ's, and cannot figure out what is going on. I have recently had a few people ask me to reset their passwords for them. When I go into their profile, all of their personal information is in there except there is nothing under password. I used to see bullets. I have tried various classmates under various years, and everyone's seems to be missing. What's going on?

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM - Response #1

I'm glad you brought this up, because we just changed this. We used to **** out the password, but the "hackers of the world" still had ways of seeing what a Classmate's password was. Although it would be rare for a class web site Administrator to also be a hacker insterested in stealing passwords, we can never know for sure that it won't happen someday. Classmates often use the same password for other sites, like banks and credit cards and things. So we errored on the side of caution and now we leave the password field completley blank. Nothing has changed other than that though -- you can still change a password for the Classmate just like you could before.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 6:43 PM - Response #2

Wish we'd known this! We notified a classmate that her password was deleted and gave her a new one to sign in with. Guess we can't use that to know if people have actually been on the site and completed their sign-in. Frankly, I thought somebody had hijacked her name.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 8:01 PM - Response #3

GLAD I SAW THE POST...I HAD GONE THRU 2 CLASSMATES GETTING THEM SET-UP WITH NEW PASSWORDS. WHEN I WENT IN TO SOLVE ANOTHER PROBLEM I NOTICED PASSWORD BOX WAS BLANK.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 8:13 PM - Response #4

thank you for the exta security measure and the info.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 9:03 PM - Response #5

Mary Smith wrote:

Wish we'd known this! We notified a classmate that her password was deleted and gave her a new one to sign in with. Guess we can't use that to know if people have actually been on the site and completed their sign-in. Frankly, I thought somebody had hijacked her name.

Security first. Sorry about the confusion there, I went in and added a note under the password field to explain why it's blank so people won't be confused in the future.

Note though, you CAN know if somebody has joined by looking at the password field. Because, if somebody hasn't joined, you won't see a Password field in their Details page at all. You'll ONLY see a Password field present there if the Classmate has actually joined your site. Nothing has changed other than we don't show the ******s. I didn't realize it would cause that much confusion. But, now I do. Smile

Edited 03/31/09 9:03 PM
Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 9:18 AM - Response #6

Thanks so much!

Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 1:37 PM - Response #7

When we had the bullets we could see as we deleted them and then could enter a new password. With no bullets how to we now delete and old password in order to enter a new one?

Thanks
Lee Gilmore

Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM - Response #8

If you enter a new password as the admin it replaces the old password.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.