ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Site is Experiencing Very Slow Response Time

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/28/18 11:16 PM Views: 2099 Replies: 86
Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 11:16 PM

Most of the day my OCMSC site has been responding very slowly. On the other hand my Springfield, Vermont 1958 site has been responding normally, i.e. very quickly. Different servers?

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 11:26 PM - Response #1

FC, we've had the same very SLOW response today. A number of classmates got to use their four letter vocabulary in emails about the site. I know CC is aware of the issue. Hopefully they can resolve it by tomorrow.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:23 AM - Response #2

I don't think the slowness of loading pages (more than a minute) was related to a plugging up of the internet pipes as a whole, as it was slow here in California and at my sister's computer in Florida, while other site pages, like CNN, Facebook,etc. loaded with normal speed. Now, at 9:23 p.m. PDT, we seem to be back to normal speed for loading pages. No four letter reactions on our site, Phil --- your classmates are a bit feistier than ours, it seems! Very Happy But, it was very frustrating.

Edited 03/29/18 12:29 AM
Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:46 AM - Response #3

Scott, you are right, my site has a surplus of cranky old dudes. The ladies are much better, if the site is slow they go do something else and try again later. Guess its not a totally bad thing, at least they are using the site. Keeps them out of trouble for a little while.

Edited 03/29/18 1:30 AM
Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:02 AM - Response #4

We went through a series of reboots and other adjustments yesterday throughout the day and overnight. I believe it seems to be running a little better this morning.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:03 AM - Response #5

As of 8am PDT my high school site is now on the slow side and OCMSC is very, very slow.

Edited 03/29/18 11:04 AM
Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:05 AM - Response #6

Thanks FC. I will check your site and forward that as an example to the programmers.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 4:21 PM - Response #7

My site is VERY slow to load as well. Tried it on three different browsers.

Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 4:38 PM - Response #8

For the past 24 hours, we have been experiencing slow response time from our servers. Our server team is aware of the issue and we are working as quickly as possible to correct the problem. We hope to have this issue corrected soon. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks,

Scott Mastenbrook
Class Creator

Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 6:10 PM - Response #9

There is some improvement. At 3:08 p.m. PDT, we're down to 15 seconds to load the home page, versus instantaneous loading of other non-CC websites. But now, at 3:25 p.m. PST we're at 29 seconds to load the home page.

Edited 03/29/18 6:32 PM
Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 9:30 PM - Response #10

Been excruciatingly slow here too since Tuesday. It’s literally almost at a stand-still here in Richmond, VA. I’m going to send an email to the class so my classmates will know it’s not them.

Update: Email to the class was extremely fast - no issues there.

3/30 Update: working good now - very fast! Thank you Smile

Edited 03/30/18 7:45 AM
Friday, March 30, 2018 at 12:04 AM - Response #11

Our site is still excruciatingly slow. It seems likes it’s gotten worse over the past couple of days.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:00 AM - Response #12

Looks like CC brought in the Server Doctor, response times are back to normal.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:00 PM - Response #13

The response time is now the fastest I've seen in 9 years. Instantaneous loading of pages. Thanks CC for making whatever adjustments you did.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:58 PM - Response #14

Probably a bad piece of equipment or they added one. It certainly right now is the fastest it's been for a long long time.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 8:15 PM - Response #15

Class Creator is DEAD again at 5pm pacific.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 8:43 PM - Response #16

Phil Nelson wrote:

I can vouch for this. Can't get into my site.
HTTP Error 503. Service is unavailable.

Edited 03/30/18 8:45 PM
Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:02 PM - Response #17

Phil, did you post this 5 times and deleted the 4 extra ones? That's how many emails I received.

Phil Nelson wrote:

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:10 PM - Response #18

I lost site access about 00.30 BST here in the UK when in the middle of some site changes. That's life!

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:12 PM - Response #19

Jack, yes I did. When I made the post I received a SQL Server deadlock message. This Forum was not responding at all. I came back later and noticed the five posts and zapped 4 of them.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:45 PM - Response #20

The slowness has returned with a vengeance.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:12 PM - Response #21

It is so slow that it is almost unusable.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:19 PM - Response #22

I’m losing the confidence of many of those who want to sign up for our site. This is exactly the wrong thing to be happening now. Please fix this now. This is right in the middle of our primary sign up time period. I will tell them to hold off until this is fixed. Not good.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:41 PM - Response #23

8:40pm PDT:

My high school site is responding noramlly but my OCMSC site is still slow.

Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:49 PM - Response #24

Agree. Depends on the site.

FC's cooks and Phil's is like a slug. Rolling Eyes

Very odd how it worked GREAT for that short time.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 1:32 AM - Response #25

Now, at 10:32 p.m. PDT, we're humming again with instantaneous download of home page. Keeping my fingers crossed this will hold!

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 8:46 AM - Response #26

My site is taking minutes to load, if it loads at all. I tried a laptop and an iPhone with the same results.
I have a reunion event to set up, and this is causing a major disruption. I had it happen last night, too, (503 Service Unavailable) and originally thought you were taking backups, but it's persisting today.

Brad or Kyle, if you have a Service Level Agreement with your hosting provider, they're not meeting it.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 10:42 AM - Response #27

Our site, www.terranova1981.com, is experiencing extremely slow response time this morning. The thing is barely moving, if at all!

We just recently moved our class site from webs.com to classcreator.com because of this very same problem. I hope this is not indicative of what we'll see going forward.

We have a big announcement to get out to our classmates, and this is extremely frustrating!

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 11:15 AM - Response #28

Kyle, can you give us an update on the problem? It sounded like you had fixed it but now it won’t load again! Are you going to be changing out equipment? Please give us a reply. This is not like CC to be unresponsive to admin questions.

Thanks,
Janie

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 11:58 AM - Response #29

I think this is the first time I've been able to access the forums while the site is offline. When trying to access the site, I get "We are offline for a brief maintenance update. We will be back shortly." Hopefully, we'll be up and running again soon.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 2:15 PM - Response #30

Good day all,
We have been and still are having a long long wait to get into and move about the site.
This has been a problem for better than 10 days. Thanks for any help.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 2:52 PM - Response #31

Today, saturday, it takes about ten seconds to go to another page. Not good. Please fix.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 3:06 PM - Response #32

I set-up FREE monitoring on our class website and the performance is seriously lacking.

Anyone who is interested can also take advantage of this check:

https://www.pingdom.com/

No, this is not a sales pitch, just a way to stay on top of the site that you're paying for. It pings every 5 minutes to validate your response time and website availability, accurately reflecting uptime versus downtime.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 3:31 PM - Response #33

still very slow response. I checked a few other common sites and get normal, quick response. So this is clearly specific to CC. Please update with current status on ETA for resolution. Thanks

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 3:48 PM - Response #34

I have people trying to register for our reunion and they can't even get on the site. The longer this goes on, the less likely they are to try again.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 4:34 PM - Response #35

Joe, you're right. I've sent an email to all of our classmates from a personal email system asking them to refrain from trying to log in until further notice. What's missing here ? Any communication from CC tech support or management about this issue.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 4:52 PM - Response #36

I've done the same, Phil. It would be nice to know what's being done about this.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 5:34 PM - Response #37

In So. CA slow as molasses in January! Other Admin in Cincinnatti, OH, can't log in at all.

HELP!

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 6:43 PM - Response #38

Right now in Northern California, we're averaging 6-14 seconds to load a page versus instantaneous for other web sites. Keep chugging along, CC. I have confidence you'll figure out what the bottleneck is!

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 6:48 PM - Response #39

"Temporarily Unavailable
We are offline for a brief maintenance update. We will be back shortly."

This has been Our status for about four-five hours.

Edited 03/31/18 6:55 PM
Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 7:16 PM - Response #40

Rich, it's sometimes necessary to do something to clear the maintenance message. I wish I could remember what the procedure was. Clearing the cache? Restarting the computer? Who remembers what to do? Our site is loading right now ... about 15 seconds to load home page. Maintenance message is gone.

Edited 03/31/18 7:20 PM
Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 10:23 PM - Response #41

Clear cache. Usually pressing Ctrl+F5 works.

Setting to clear varies by Browser.

FireFox Tools, Options, Privacy

Googe, More Tools, Clear Browsing

Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 11:18 PM - Response #42

Back online but very slow response time.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM - Response #43

7:50am PDT

Both sites much better. OCMSC is instantaneous, 1958;close but not quite as fast.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 11:04 AM - Response #44

Hi All,

I apologize for the up and down of the site over the last few days. We identified an issue occurring on some sites and added more intensive monitoring to pinpoint the underlying issue and work to get it resolved. Unfortunately some of the monitoring can add to the pressure on the system while we are investigating. We found several items that needed adjustment and made the changes. Everything is running much smoother today.

Let us know if you experience any further issues.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 11:13 AM - Response #45

Up and running with very smooth response time. Thank You.

Edited 04/01/18 11:13 AM
Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM - Response #46

Thanks, Jessica! Very Happy

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:44 PM - Response #47

11:40am PDT

Both sites are slow again. Not as bad as it has been but still quite slow.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:47 PM - Response #48

So freaking weird

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 2:48 PM - Response #49

Load times better than yesterday but still in the 10-15 second range.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 3:43 PM - Response #50

Just loaded five pages. One page took 9 seconds, the other four took 10 seconds.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 8:24 PM - Response #51

Jessica: Still very slow response time this Sunday evening. It has been inconsistent bouncing between normal response time and very very slow time.

Site has not worked well since last Friday, March 30.
Cathy Ayers
Mineola61.com

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 8:46 PM - Response #52

We are still seeing load times of 10-15 seconds. Problem has existed since last Wednesday morning.

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 9:14 PM - Response #53

And it's back to the slowest it's ever been. Shocked

Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 9:51 PM - Response #54

Yes, Our site is running slow this evening: 10 second load & 7-8 seconds between screens. This page loads in a normal manner.

Edited 04/01/18 9:52 PM
Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 10:13 PM - Response #55

Jessica,

Still slow here in So. Ca, but better than the last few days.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 1:45 AM - Response #56

Form load time has returned to normal.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 3:55 AM - Response #57

I feel like the spirit of Easter has rubbed off on our page loading times: the speed has been resurrected! Very Happy

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 4:01 AM - Response #58

Very HappyTwisted EvilVery Happy

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 9:50 AM - Response #59

9:40 AM ET - 'The service is unavailable.'
--------------
Scott -- -- I think we've "retro'd" a bit (back to Good Friday, using your metaphor). Sent a tentative 'All-Clear' yesterday afternoon. Earlier in the AM today I saw the 15 sec response time return so posted to members that "CC was still experiencing periodic access/response time issues (and that CC techs were working the issues). Pls be patient." This generated a posting email to most before the current total off-line condition...

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 10:38 AM - Response #60

Roger, there are some extra strange happenings at Class Creator today. Your site is not loading at all but I checked 10 other sites and they all loaded the home page fine. At times, when one attempts to log in the process is fine. At other times the login page times out without ever connecting. The same happens when logging out.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM - Response #61

AM able to navigate through some of the pages with normal response time but when I try to edit a page I get the following message:
HTTP Status 503 - Request timed out waiting to execute
type Status report

message Request timed out waiting to execute

description The requested service is not currently available.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.54

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 11:16 AM - Response #62

Just logged-in thru cc.com and got a delay msg about 'servers restarting, try again in 30 seconds'.

Tried again and got right in. Appeared good for a minute... now facing endless hour glass spin trying to move to another page. Obviously we'll all keep an eye out for a few days. Guessing that CC was in the midst last night (normal weekend maintenance down-time)of installing a system-wide 'fix' and that as an east-coaster I was picking up the vestiges of that... and hoping we're in a stabilize period now... (let's hope this diminishes/ends the issues...)

Edited 04/02/18 11:26 AM
Monday, April 2, 2018 at 11:25 AM - Response #63

We're still fighting intermittent slow (or no) response time. Most recently when tried to log in, got "Request timed out waiting to execute. The requested service is not available." This problem has been going on for the last several days. Any news on a fix?

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM - Response #64

Roger and Alice, I just viewed your sites and they loaded instantly.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM - Response #65

Noting other operational irregularities (Phil - maybe what you referenced).

I've generally been able to quickly access the initial page off the key left-side and upper links. However, accessing links below those is sporadic. E.g. --
- Trying to edit a Forum posting, it will generate an 'unavailable' page.
-While, accessing Statistics in Admin links may get me to the initial bar-chart page; however, it's dicey getting getting further (unavailable resources, or Apache Tomcat resp).
- can't load photos (even if saved as low-meg versions); waited 5+ min and still no status response.

Appears if system is triaging requests and not serving those which demand high resource usage.

Hard to tell if this is just the system settling out (with lots of spiky demand from us/our members poking at it in the first hour or two) -- or -- whether there's still some unresolved issues.

And Scott, agreed -- the initial load seems fine... it's what does or does not happen AFTER that seems to be of issue now...

Edited 04/02/18 12:44 PM
Monday, April 2, 2018 at 12:54 PM - Response #66

Unfortunately, for the past few days we have been experiencing very slow response times from our server. We have our programmers and server teams looking into the issue and it is our number one priority to be resolved. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 1:35 PM - Response #67

Good luck, Scott. You have my unerstanding but you also have my frustration. Wink

Just thought I'd mention that things are still slow or no access at all is possible at times, this side of the Atlantic. It's been at leaast 5 days now, maybe more. Just spent two hours writing someone's In Memoriam entry only to find it wouldn't load after I'd finished. Luckily, I suspected there was a chance of it happening so copied and saved a copy elsewhere.

Edited 04/02/18 8:40 PM
Monday, April 2, 2018 at 4:15 PM - Response #68

Since last Friday, our site has been either unresponsive or so slow and often cuts out just when you think logging in is possible. But there are moments when logging in is possible - very contrary. Please let us know when there's a definite fix to this problem. Classmates are not logging on as they have in the past.
Before "temporary Maintenance" occurrs, please post for Admin to be aware what to expect. Also, tonight a hometown college team is playing in the NCAA National Championship. Thank you

Edited 04/02/18 4:22 PM
Monday, April 2, 2018 at 4:23 PM - Response #69

Elena, unfortunately, we have no such message to offer. twice this weekend we believed we had this issue solved only to be proven wrong with time. We are dedicated to working until we know this is resolved, and that includes after we think it is resolved because we need to monitor continuously just be be sure.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 4:30 PM - Response #70

Thanks, Scott

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 9:03 PM - Response #71

6:00pm PDT

Both sites responding quickly.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 10:18 PM - Response #72

Same here. All sites on this thread are loading very fast.

I'm interested in what the issue has been all these years? (Besides the really slow loads this past week).

For me CC has never loaded fast in the last few years.

Monday, April 2, 2018 at 11:04 PM - Response #73

8:00 pm PDT

Except for occasional problems related specfically to load times for the Responsive Design I've always had very fast access to all my CC sites. Although the difference is very, very slight load times have never been better than right now.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 12:04 AM - Response #74

Usually it was 4-8 seconds, sometimes much longer. Now it 1-2 seconds.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM - Response #75

8:15 am PDT

Still good.

Jack, for years my load times have typically been fractions of a second. Seemed a tiny bit better last night than this morning but I'm really splitting hairs.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM - Response #76

Still good here too.

Sure, depends on the routing. My 'test' RD site was easily two times slower than our regular (non-RD) site in the past. 8+ seconds was pretty common. Almost made me not switch to RD thinking that was the cause. So clearly routing differently or? Now they all appear to load very fast.

I use the West Coast Amazon AWS for storage and that's always been instant. Perhaps CC switched? 5GB costs me 5 cents a month - lol

Still would like to know exactly what was "fixed" for such an amazing change.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 2:05 PM - Response #77

I'm hoping that some explanation from Brad is forthcoming.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 4:23 PM - Response #78

Our IT team has spent the past several days streamlining the system and working with database reconfiguration (which has grown very large over the years). The process is ongoing.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 4:47 PM - Response #79

Brad, you make it sound as if this was just a maintenance effort to improve system performance. If necessary to go this extent again sometime in the future you may want to consider informing administrators in advance that such an effort is upcoming and provide interim updates. The system was essentially unusable for several consecutive days while many classes were preparing for reunions.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 5:28 PM - Response #80

The maintenance was unplanned based on the unexpected slow down of parts of the system. We have always announced planned maintenance windows.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 6:16 PM - Response #81

Jessica, it was clear to me that this was an unplanned event. It was my way of trying to politely say that I found the explanation wanting. I had hoped for a more detailed explanation as to the root cause and the corrective action taken.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM - Response #82

There was not a clear cut reason - it was more of a mix of things that needed to be streamlined once the slow down occurred. We monitor for long running tasks and queries and adjust as they appear. Unfortunately in this case there was not any specific early warning signs -- the increased capacity of the systems during our last upgrade was likely masking some of the build up and everything was going smoothly until it wasn't. As Brad mentioned there were several areas of the database that we streamlined during this process - areas that were not obvious before can become more obvious when the system is strained. . Although we feel the items at the heart of this slow down have been addressed there are several areas that we continue to monitor and streamline in a more controlled way so this will be an ongoing process on our end. If we feel the need to set a late night maintenance window we will post a notice.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 12:50 PM - Response #83

Jessica and CC staff, thanks for speeding the response times up. I'm incredibly grateful for the experience CC provides our classmates. The number of tools you offer us for such a reasonable price is amazing. You're head and shoulders above classmates.com and the other alumni site offerings on the internet. Our appreciation for what you offer is such that our subscription extends to 2038. I'm sure I speak for many administrators in saying, "Well done and keep up the good work."

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 1:05 PM - Response #84

Scott - Thank you for all the kind words. We really appreciate that, even more so after such a difficult week. Again, Thank you!.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM - Response #85

I associate with Scott Moore's comments. Class Creator provides a unique set of capabilities not found in any other current product. We had classmates who were quite irritated with the recent system problems but they are now happy campers again. THANKS for all of your hard work!

Friday, April 6, 2018 at 3:58 PM - Response #86

Compared with last Friday and beyond, delighted and relieved things seem back to normal. Fingers crossed this trend continues. Thank you tech support!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.