ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Paypal Payment Problems

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/08/11 06:43 AM Views: 2107 Replies: 22
Friday, July 8, 2011 at 6:43 AM

I've been getting reports from Classmates about problems when they try to pay through PayPal. Some people have no problem, some do. The ones that do, I just kept thinking they were doing something wrong.

This time the Classmate that was having a problem sent me the message he got:
"We were unable to decrypt the certificate id."

Any idea what this issue is and how to resolve it?

Thank you.
Francine

Friday, July 8, 2011 at 9:04 AM - Response #1

Francine,

I did a google search and found this:
http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/30969...-the-certificate-id/

Since I have never used PayPal, I am not sure how to fix this, but the above website at the bottom suggests the following:
In Your paypal profile setting You have set accept encrypted payment only.

Set it to accept non encrypted payment.Should be in Payment preference list.

Hope this helps you.

Kyle

Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM - Response #2

Hi Kyle,
I checked my PP account for the encryption setting and it is set correctly...to accept non-encrypted payment.

Any other suggestions...

Thank you....

Francine

Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 3:36 PM - Response #3

Francine,

Since I don't know much about PayPal, I moved this forum from the REPORT BUGS to the GENERAL DISCUSSION to see if any of the other admins have any other ideas or have encountered similar problems with PayPal

Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM - Response #4

Thanks Kyle. Hopefully someone will have a solution to this problem.

Francine

Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM - Response #5

I don't have an answer, except to put this in context.

I've used PayPal for over 10 years both as a buyer and merchant. Have never seen that message. I do not have any additional security (security key is not set).

In my PP profile, I do not see "non-encrypted payment" as a choice, just the security key option. So that's one difference right there. Maybe my account type (Premier) has different choices?

Our class account also has not had that sort of message (yet).

Also this is the first post here on CC with that error, indicating there's something different about your account setup. The link Kyle gave matches your message exactly.

Carefully check your settings again. It's not always obvious what some options end up doing.

I suggest you ask PayPal directly about the message. I've talked to them a few times directly over the phone. If you get the right person, bet they can answer this question. Could be an https issue for older browsers or user settings?

Monday, July 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM - Response #6

I spoke with PayPal today re the error message my Classmate had received. They said it has to do with the web browser being used. They said if using IE, should try Firefox or another browser instead and that should resolve the issue.

I've put an email out to the Class advising them of the possible browser problem so we'll see if the PP problem continues.

Thank you all for your input! Very Happy

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 3:28 PM - Response #7

I've just added our ticket purchasing page and am using Paypal as well. When I test the page with my own information I also get the same error and I am using Firefox. Anyone found a definite fix for this??

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 8:50 PM - Response #8

I got curious so I just ran a test order through with no issues - just to make sure nothing has changed. Plus we've had a few more PayPal orders from classmates in the past week. Also no issues.

There's some common mistake being made here that might be easy to spot in personCool First guess is https is somehow running into a setup/option issue.

Don't think it's a browser issue as PayPal suggested - that was just not an un-informed answer. If IE didn't work correctly, Ebay would go down in flamesIdea

Edited 07/13/11 8:51 PM
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 11:05 PM - Response #9

I found out in another discussion thread that PP has to have special authorization and be added to your account by Class Creator support. They did it really quickly for me and now no problems with PP.

This is the thread "paypal"

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM - Response #10

I think that's different from the issue here. Or if you did get that same error, then that explains what is going on - there's something going on with the account info being transmitted to PayPal?

This is not special authorization though, just that there has to be a PayPal account to receive the money and the "stuff" for PayPal added by CC to the payment section. So without that account, I suppose that message can come up?

How you did PayPal without CC adding it as a choice has me curious - since there's no PayPal choice on checkout how can it be used for payment? ("Other" maybe can be made to work - never tried since when I asked, found out CC then adds PayPal as a choice.)

I also have it as a totally independent page, so technically you do not need anything from CC. All CC does is create the amount for you that is then transmitted to PayPal - but it's pretty simple stuff.

Just xsplaininWink

But that comment by Beth just might explain the whole mystery.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM - Response #11

Until I found out that CC had to authorize PP I had added a PP button under the text in "Other." When that button was clicked I got the very same error about the certificate. I just unchecked "Other" had CC add the PP option and life is good. No problems. That's probably what was happening with the initial poster.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM - Response #12

Francine,

If you are still having the problem, try using the PAYPAL option on your Reunion Planner instead of the OTHER type. (I had to activate the PayPal option from the ClassCreator site)

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 3:17 AM - Response #13

So that IS the problem. PayPal just wasn't set up correctly on the page.

Without seeing the page, sometimes simple issues involve implied "assumes" that are false.

This is really an issue caused by CC not making PayPal option available without having to ask for the choice.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM - Response #14

Yes still having problems as recently as last night. Classmate got the same error " We were unable to decrypt the certificate id".

I just looked at my planner page to do the edit you suggested. I see that PAYPAL is checked. Should I un-check OTHER? That is where the Paypal "Pay Here" button code is located. By unchecking OTHER will that deacivate the "Pay Here" button functionality?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM - Response #15

Yes, uncheck Other, since I suspect that it is being clicked. There's an issue with those buttons (memory from last year - depending on browser) in not being positioned quite right. From your description, sounds like Other is being selected and that will not generate the correct data from PayPal - I'm deriving that conclusion from Beth's post.

We have Check and PayPal. Never had anyone have a problem getting the right one.

What is Other supposed to do? Just curious.Cool

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM - Response #16

You need to set up the PAYPAL stuff using the PAYPAL link, then delete that information from the OTHER option.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM - Response #17

Ok, unchecked OTHER. We'll see what happens the next time someone trys to pay. Hopefully that resolves the issue.

Thank you.....

Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM - Response #18

You can test this yourselfIdea. Then just delete the order. And yes, have done this many times .. last one just now.

When you get to PayPal you can sign in (if you have an account) and then just not complete the purchase. No problem.

Friday, July 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM - Response #19

Thanks to all who have given feedback on this topic

Whom do we address specifically at CC to request that the PayPal option be installed on our reunion page?

I have the PayPal button code and business account. I want PayPal to be an option at the bottom of the page just as credit cards through CC and checks are in our setup.

Our planner has only test text at the moment, but we will be adding the final data and want to make the page live this evening. Thanks for any quick response.

Edited 07/15/11 2:44 PM
Friday, July 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM - Response #20

Rusty, you just did.

PayPal support is on your Reunion Planner now. However, the reunion planner isn't integrated with PayPal, so any payments you receive will need to be manually be added to the Reunion Planner to credit the right classmate. Also, most of the ClassCreator staff don't know much about PayPal, so you are pretty much on your own if you have any problems with it.

Friday, July 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM - Response #21

Thanks, Kyle,
I have to say, the support here is amazing. I'm surprised this is the only thing I've needed help with over the last month. Everything seems to just work. Thanks for putting together such a reliable system.

My quick wish list:
1. More page styles/design options like reordering links.
2. More preview options before going live (like WordPress and other CMS platforms)

Pretty minor stuff considering all the system offers. Hope to see any new features before our reunion is done.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM - Response #22

Okay, checking the Paypal option and unchecking Other did the trick! Thanks so much for your help in getting this issue resolved! Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.