ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Gender Preference

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/11/19 04:31 PM Views: 405 Replies: 2
Friday, October 11, 2019 at 4:31 PM

At some point, a classmate's personal information might appropriately include broader gender identity options, including preferred pronouns.

That's not possible now - "Gender" is a database field that can't be disabled in details, that I can see, although it can be turned off as a data entry option for classmates who join and don't have pre-populated details. Our database DOES have m/f identification pre-populated, and I don't necessarily want to lose that data. But at some point, a classmate might be uncomfortable with the display of only these options.

Can either of the following be implemented without too much disruption?

(1) One easy solution, at least short term, could be adding an option in preferences to completely disable the visibility and entry by users of data into the "gender" field, EXCEPT for admins editing the class or downloading data (they might still need it).

(2) Another solution could be allowing admins to edit the drop-down list for gender (currently (m/f/null) to add further categories.

Proposed solution (1) above - eliminating gender from visibility in Details - may be the easiest way for now to deal with schools that might handle this issue in very different ways. Admins could hide the default database gender field, then handle gender and pronouns using PROFILE questions, making the whole issue managed on a client by client basis.

Friday, October 11, 2019 at 4:56 PM - Response #1

Hi Steve,

When you turn off the option in Preferences to have it appear as part of the DATA COLLECTION DURING SIGN UP WIZARD it also turns it off in the Edit Contact link that the classmates see. It does not turn it off in the Admin Functions > Manage Classmates > Enter/Edit Classmates area. So option 1 is already in place. To verify this you can go to your Member Functions > Edit Contact Info screen and you will see the question does not appear to a classmate member.

If you want to make your own custom question for this you can create it under Admin Functions > Profile Generator

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 7:56 PM - Response #2

We disabled the data entry for gender and added a profile field for "pronouns".

However there are places where your system assumes a gender.

For instance, I just tried to follow classmate "Jane" -- cisgender female.

Your message said "You are about to Follow Jane. When Jane updates his Profile in the future you will be notified. You can change this setting any time from the Notify Me tab."

I'd suggest checking for a gender entry and using the word "their" if you don't find one.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.