ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Losing Image

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/21/08 07:07 PM Views: 1082 Replies: 1
Sunday, December 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM

I have had a few images that have gotten lost; become that inafamous X box. The image I found this morning has been up for a few weeks but for some reason today it disappeared. I tried reloading the same image, then uploaded it again which the system recognized I had the photo and renamed it with (1). It still did not show anything but the X box. I finally reloaded it with a new name. Do you know why this is happening? Can it be prevented?

thanks,
joyce

Sunday, December 21, 2008 at 8:26 PM - Response #1

There are two reasons images might become an "infamous red X". And here they are:

1) You copied and pasted a photo that was uploaded by one of your Classmates. And then your Classmate removed the photo. When that happens, it also gets removed from wherever else you pasted it to. Best way to avoid this is always save the image to your own hard drive the Classmate's photo, and then reupload it yourself elsewhere on your site.

2) You uploaded an image that was too large for your page. When that happens our system needs to resize the image so it doesn't blow out your site. So you hit save, our system resizes the image and saves it as a new file name, and then you decide to go back in and edit the page again by using your Back button. Unfortunately that loads up a page from your computer's memory that existed prior to the time our system resized your image and resaved it as a new name. So you go into the page and work with it, ultimatley save it again, and now you've just saved the page with an image name that no longer exists anywhere. And voila, now you have that infamous red X. Of course, the best way to prevent this one is either upload an image that's not too large for your site in the first place, or save your page, let our system resize your image, and then DO NOT HIT YOUR BACK BUTTON to get back to edit mode. Instead, go back into Edit site pages again and hit the Edit button next to your page again. When you do this, you'll be working with the newly resized and renamed image, and you'll avoid that nasty red X from rearing its ugly head.

Edited 12/21/08 8:29 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.