ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Reunion Planner and Pay Pal

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/06/14 12:48 AM Views: 1397 Replies: 29
Friday, June 6, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Hello,
I have been a member since 2008, and used the Reunion Planner and Pay Pal in 2009 for our 45th Reunion.

Our 50th Reunion is this September 26-28. It is overdue to activate a new Reunion Planner and Pay Pal account for donations and to pay for Reunion events. I have been out of touch with these Forums until recently and have been waiting for news that the new Event Planner is now available.

I can't wait any longer to set up my Reunion Planner, Pay Pal account etc., but in researching both, it is confusing as what to do at this conjuncture.

Can you advise me as to how to set up some kind of 'reunion planner', and a contiguous Pay Pal account that will function with it, + take donations? What is the current % that will be charged for paying online with Pay Pal.

I am truly at a loss after reading up on these subjects. Surely there is a way to currently use CC and some method of a reunion planner for our 50th? I have invested considerable funds, time, energy in vesting in CC's promises to help me have a great reunion ... where and how do I begin?

Thanking you in advance for a clear explanation, and definitive steps to accomplish my goal. Nancee

Friday, June 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM - Response #1

The Event Planner is not ready. Just use Reunion Planner, then click the PLAN A NEW REUNION button. When using PayPal, we do not take a percentage. you are only paying the PayPal fees. But the first step is to create a new reunion. Then get back to me and we can activate the PayPal option for you.

Friday, June 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM - Response #2

Ok, Kyle, Thanks. I'll get back to you in the next week or two. Could you tell me what the current Pay Pal % is? It seems that we paid 4.99% in 2009.

Appreciate the help. Have a good weekend. N

Friday, June 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM - Response #3

Pay Pal is 2.9% (I think). But you would have to check their site to be certain.

Friday, June 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM - Response #4

Will do, Scotty...thanks!

Friday, June 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM - Response #5

Cool

Saturday, June 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM - Response #6

Hi, I am about ready to start a 'new reunion' for our 50th on the existing Reunion Planner. The Planner shows the old 45th Reunion and I have not archived it yet.

1. I know it has explanations of what happens when I do, but I'm still confused.... does it basically delete icons and references to those that attended the 45th + once archived, no changes can be made?

2. But if archived, can I still go back and look at it and print out reports. Info there might be useful for the 50th?

3. Many email addresses have changed since '09, would the system have updated changes made since then on the Profile details and the newer more accurate email addresses be reflected on the OLD 45th reunion Reports, or would those reports first generated in '09 carry the outdated email addresses?

4. If I choose to NOT archive the old reunion, and click to begin a NEW reunion, will the old one automatically be archived?

5. In reading some of todays Admin Forums postings about Reunion Planners, I see references to pmt choices of checks. cash, credit cards>> not worded as Pay Pal - does the term 'Credit Card' mean 'Pay Pal', or can they use any Credit like MasterCard?

6. I did contact Pay Pal and they charge 2.99% = $ .30/transaction, but these today Admin postings talk about 4.99% - what is the latter % referring to?

Thanks for your attention to these questions, appreciate it, Nancee

Saturday, June 7, 2014 at 7:28 PM - Response #7

Archived reunions just mean you can still view everything, you just cannot change anything and nobody can sign up for that reunion.

The reports are generated. I don't think email addresses are part of the report. I think they are retrieved from the classmate's contact details (but I could be wrong)

No, we do not automatically archive the reunion.

If you want PayPal, I can activate it after you create your new reunion.

4.99% is a mistake. They meant 4.9% and it is the credit card charge that ClassCreator will charge you if you use their system.

If I missed something, just ask it again.

Saturday, June 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM - Response #8

Thanks.

Yes the emails show on the reunion reports if you click to get the "View Custom Ques. w/ Email Options" - so have the email addresses that I am seeing there now been updated automatically when new ones were substituted by Classmates updating Contact Info since the last reunion?

Earlier above you said ...". When using PayPal, we do not take a percentage. you are only paying the PayPal fees." So I thought all I had to deal with were the PayPal charges when determining costs. But now it sounds like I have to figure in the 2.99% etc Plus CC's 4.9% for using CC's system? ... Or maybe it is an "either/or" option ... one uses either PayPal or Classcreator?

Obviously, I'm confused ... please enlighten me. thx. N

Saturday, June 7, 2014 at 11:46 PM - Response #9

Nancee,

PayPal is one system. ClassCreator Credit Cards is another system. If you allow both, you will only be charged the fee from ClassCreator if they use the ClassCreator credit card system. If they choose PayPal, you will only be charged the PayPal fees.

Saturday, June 7, 2014 at 11:57 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Kyle.

So you are saying that I am to offer my classmates the choice of mailing in their registration form with a check, or paying an extra 2.99 % + $ .30 to pay via PayPal, or to pay an extra 4.9 % to use the CC system? Why would anyone choose the latter? Maybe it's my lack of knowledge, but is there something missing here? Does the Reunion Planner offer all of the above choices?

It's almost like if I decide PayPal, it sends me off the Reunion Planner and I am in a totally different format; where as, in order to use the Planner I am, by default, committed to the 4.9%, and/or check options.

I apologize for dwelling on this, but it's not tracking for me .. what am I missing?

Thanks for your patience, N

Sunday, June 8, 2014 at 12:09 AM - Response #11

Sorry, Kyle, ...

you say that if I offer both ........ why would one do that? ..... maybe it would be helpful for you to explain the pros and cons of each payment method so I can better understand the difference to make a better educated choice.

What method is chosen by the majority of admins for their reunion?

Sunday, June 8, 2014 at 11:19 AM - Response #12

Choose one... not both.

Monday, June 9, 2014 at 1:54 PM - Response #13

"What method is chosen by the majority of admins for their reunion?" ... the Credit Card system that is offered directly through Class Creator.

Monday, June 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM - Response #14

Thanks, Scott. No one seems to answering my specific questions so I appreciate the response. "WHY" do they choose the CC system? It is more expensive, so there must be a important reason why. I have a committee that I have to give an answer to, and I don't feel prepared to explain a choice. thank you for helping. N

Monday, June 9, 2014 at 3:41 PM - Response #15

Since CC is the default and you can't get PayPal unless you ask for it (new one I think has it though), sure, CC will be the majority, just like IE used to be the #1 browser since it was force bundled with Windows.

Some people used CC because CC did not implement the PayPal API (the new one does use the API) and that meant that payments had to be entered manually (IMO not a big deal since that's what you have to do for checks too and we at least 1/2 paid by check). New CC system will automatically apply payments and credits for PayPal too, plus I'm assuming it will be available as a choice vs having to ask for the hidden PayPal option.

Main advantage of PayPal you'll get more money Idea

Second advantage (if you have a PayPal account), security since it's one less place where you credit card information is being stored and processed.

Monday, June 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM - Response #16

True, you have to ask for the PayPal option, however all of the accounting, all of the administrative work is programmed into the system for the Credit Card option. With PayPal, just as with checks, you have the added step that requires you to reconcile each transaction. That is a few minutes per transaction that add up over time. Personally, if I were an admin running a reunion, I would not mess with checks, cash or any other payment method. But that is just my opinion.

Monday, June 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM - Response #17

The lack of automatic PayPal payment processing was a deliberate choice by CC, not that it couldn't be done. I explained that four years ago Shocked The new system deploys the PayPal API removing that slight hassle.

The old system also did not process according to accepted accounting principles. Auditing was very difficult - and incorrectly done. As Brad explained back then "we don't have anyone with accounting experience". Hopefully the new system is improved in that regard.

The classmates for older classes just prefer checks. Besides our own class, that's been posted a few times by admins. Wouldn't make sense to force credit cards only - that would be counter to accommodating classmates. Plus why give up the extra cash? For us it was about $200 extra income. It's not like we don't have the time Very Happy

Transactions trickle in and easy to keep up with. Even that manual input can be done smoother. See TurboTax for how to batch input data Idea

Most importantly, the security of PayPal is a big asset in today's world. In addition, if one has a PayPal account, very simple and in all cases a very nice audit trail.

Monday, June 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM - Response #18

Thanks Jack, and everyone,

My Committee has decided to use the more automated CC system, charge a flat $50 for the 50th reunion and absorb the 4.9 fee cost rather than passing it on to clsmts.

We are finalizing the registration letter that goes via post office, then I'll start the Planner. However, Clsmts are wanting to give Donations, Now. I know that we can put a place for donations on the Planner and on the mailed registration, but we'd like a Donation Button for donations, also.

So that means we need a PayPal acct? If so, do you need to turn on something? or do I open the acct with PP 1st?

Is there any problem to use PP for Donations as well as the CC system? Both systems then would funnel the Donations separately to our Bank Acct? Would we know who and how much the donation is from both systems?

Is there anything else I need to know about this issue? Are there any threads, etc that I should have read?

Many thanks, and apologies for my lack of knowledge, Nancee

Monday, June 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM - Response #19

There are two ways to do donations:

1. Add a donation as an item to "sell". I think you put in $.00 for the amount. CC can clarify. (payment is same option as for any other item)

2. You can add an additional link or button for PayPal donations. That would be via PayPal.

You can mix and match using both options. That's what we did.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 4:54 PM - Response #20

I don't see any discussion in the forums about the security of our PayPal API data (USERNAME, PASSWORD, AND SIGNATURE). Once we enter that info into the Class Creator software, how is it protected and who can view this information? Where is the information stored on CC's servers? Will all of my co-admins (with permissions to edit Reunion/Events/Product pages) have a window to view and edit our PayPal API info?

I'm sure you've thought about this, but I also need provide reassurance to my President and Alumni Board members.

Thanks,
Terry

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 5:10 PM - Response #21

Admins with access to the Event Planner are able to see the api credentials. However, these credentials, while they do hook our system to the PayPal App, are not login credentials and they cannot be used to access the PayPal account.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 8:41 PM - Response #22

Thanks Scott. I hear what you're saying but I have to wonder since this instructional screen shot includes language from PayPal advising developers (admins) to secure their credentials... Which naturally indicates a certain associated level of risk must exist... Perhaps not applicable to our class websites, but can you address what kind of risks might apply?
http://screencast.com/t/V2uprNOMw

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 12:28 AM - Response #23

Risk would be an unscrupulous person gets ahold of this information and attempts to link in to your PayPal account. Of course nobody can get to this screen at all unless they're a logged in Admin with permission to access this page. The best defense against a potential problem is to use a secure password (one that has a capital letter and a couple numbers would be good).

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 8:46 AM - Response #24

Thank you Brad! Honestly, I'm more concerned with internal controls. It's difficult to manage tight security on our multi-year site AND still assign permissions to one or more alums over several class years in order to share the workload, (compared with a single year site that can get by with only 1 or 2 admins).

I am very thankful for the ability to switch on/off permissions by function and tailor the access according to each admins' needs, but it is not always clear how deep a single access point extends. The PayPal API info is a great example.. is it accessible to all with permission to edit event/donations/product manager pages? What about admins that are further limited by specific year(s)?

Our association is very active year round. We do business as an official non-profit association with some serious fundraising and community involvement. Security of our assets is a growing concern. Is there a way to maybe limit access to this screen once the API data is entered? Much like Root Preferences except with the ability for multiple API accounts... (different class years often set up their own financial accounts, so each would need to be secured separately).

I realize this request presents a brainstorming challenge. Something for a future release maybe? Perhaps consider the concept of a year-specific, password protected step (or page) as one idea?

I know you must prioritize based on impact and importance to the majority of your customers' needs. Hopefully other multi-year admins will chime in here with their thoughts.

Thank you, as always, for your thoughtful consideration. My shrinking participation in these forums over the years is a testament to your great design team! Class Creator is the best and I still get frequent appreciative compliments from our site members. Smile

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM - Response #25

Rather than creating a separate setting for this screen (that an Admin would have to know to go turn off), why don't we just NOT show the PayPal credentials anymore once the successful connection with PayPal has been made? That way the worst a co-Admin could do is turn off your gateway to PayPal. I have no idea why anyone would do that, and I have to believe you can trust your co-Admins to not go tamper with this setting. They at least wouldn't see the actual credentials and thus could never use them in a malicious fashion.

Another solution would be to NOT show the credentials after successfully set, AND only allow the person who entered the credentials to turn off the PayPal connection. This way co-Admins could see, nor turn off, your PayPal gateway.

Thoughts?

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM - Response #26

Those will help control erroneous mods (personally our class is not worried here) - please consider some additional questions that will come up since it might just be overkill for most of us:

1. What would one do if the PayPal account is changed? (How to change the API info if it's hidden once set. Or did you mean hidden for the everyone BUT the one person.)

2. How would another admin help the one that is setting it up and they are having trouble? That is most likely in our case. Applies to #1 also.

I think you meant to type "co-Admins could (not) see ..."

The one thing that I found most interesting and was not addressed .. needs better documentation/explanation. It's come up quite a few times on the forum.

Quote:

it is not always clear how deep a single access point extends.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM - Response #27

Brad Switzer wrote:

Rather than creating a separate setting for this screen (that an Admin would have to know to go turn off), why don't we just NOT show the PayPal credentials anymore once the successful connection with PayPal has been made? That way the worst a co-Admin could do is turn off your gateway to PayPal. I have no idea why anyone would do that, and I have to believe you can trust your co-Admins to not go tamper with this setting. They at least wouldn't see the actual credentials and thus could never use them in a malicious fashion.

Another solution would be to NOT show the credentials after successfully set, AND only allow the person who entered the credentials to turn off the PayPal connection. This way co-Admins could see, nor turn off, your PayPal gateway.

Thoughts?

Thanks Brad! On paper, either solution might work for us in the short run... though I do hear Jack's concerns about overcomplicating the process and about sometimes needing to assist other admins. Both are great points.

I don't know how best to design a solution, but integrity of data will always be a concern--especially where it overlaps with financial business. Dual access is optimal for organizations (particularly organizations where those in charge may quit or be replaced).

Thank you!!!

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 5:46 PM - Response #28

Been thinking (I think)

How about hiding the info once it's verified and working and allowing the admin that set it an option to show it again to all admins?

IOW, it would just be an addition to "just NOT show the PayPal credentials anymore once the successful connection with PayPal has been made" (which requires a new DB field) by resetting that "successful" switch in DB.

So if the admin turned this back to "off" it would revert to showing the credentials again for everyone.

This would be on the screen/page where the API stuff is entered, not a separate screen.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 at 5:52 PM - Response #29

Thanks Jack! On paper, it seems like a feasible solution for us. Hoping something not too complicated or confusing can be easily implemented Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.