ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Deprecated HTML Attributes

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/09/13 11:38 AM Views: 1111 Replies: 2
Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM

For some time I have noticed discussions that suggest there may be looming problems with using deprecated HTML codes, such as the attribute: target="_blank", but I haven't personally yet seen any evidence of a commonly used tag becoming obsolete/unsupported.

So, I'm just curious... Is CC monitoring these "outdated" HTML elements/attributes? And, if these tags do become obsolete, will there be a method to "search and replace" all instances where obsolete elements/attributes are currently in use?

Ref: http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmltags/a/bltags_deprctag.htm

I also found this guideline useful in understanding the conformity issues:

Quote:

Deprecated elements may become obsolete in future versions of HTML.
User agents should continue to support deprecated elements for reasons of backward compatibility.

Definitions of elements and attributes clearly indicate which are deprecated.

This specification includes examples that illustrate how to avoid using deprecated elements. In most cases these depend on user agent support for style sheets. In general, authors should use style sheets to achieve stylistic and formatting effects rather than HTML presentational attributes. HTML presentational attributes have been deprecated when style sheet alternatives exist (see, for example, [CSS1]).

Obsolete
An obsolete element or attribute is one for which there is no guarantee of support by a user agent. Obsolete elements are no longer defined in the specification, but are listed for historical purposes in the changes section of the reference manual.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM - Response #1

Honestly, you need not worry. If something happens that indicates anything in our system will become obsolete, we will adjust for it as well as educate admins. I do not see any eminent issues in the near future. "User agents should continue to support deprecated elements for reasons of backward compatibility." That said, typically, if there is an issue, we would suggest upgrading a browser to adjust for a function that is not supported by older browsers. For example, we are no longer choosing to support IE6. That particular browser is a decade old and has numerous issues with today's code. The only other real exception is when a brand new version of a browser is released. From time to time, we may run into an issue with the newest browsers, and if our system has difficulties, we will adjust.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM - Response #2

Yeah, I know you're right of course. Sorry! I do tend to over think things at times. Thanks for the assurance, Scott Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.