ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Posting a newsletter to the site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/02/11 01:47 AM Views: 2752 Replies: 16
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM
45th reunion newsletter .doc

I created a 4 page Reunion newsletter from a Word Newsletter Template. The template has color and graphics. The newsletter is one month out until the reunion and contains pretty much everything they need to know in a fun, readable format.

Is there a way I can post the newsletter to the site? When I save as html it ruins a lot of the formatting. Sad Can we send an attachment in an email sent through the website? I don't see how.

I have attached the file here.

Thanks!
Janie

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM - Response #1

Yes and yes... sort of. You can post the .doc to your site by following these directions:

Upload a non image document to the File Vault.
To upload a non image documents to the File Vault, locate any page that has an Editor Window, such as by going to Edit Site Pages > Edit next to Homepage. On the Editor Window, look for the icon in the second row of buttons that is about 2/3 to the right that looks like a globe with a chain link, this is the Insert / Edit Link button. Click this button and a small window will appear. Click the File Vault button, which will open the File Vault window. Look for Browse at the bottom of the window and locate your file on your machine. Once selected, press the Open / Select button and then in the lower right portion of the File Vault window, press the Upload button. This will upload your file to the file vault from which you can link to for people to access the document.

Once you have the document in the file vault, you can then compose an email to the class and then link to the document on your website:

Adding a hyperlink:
Step 1 - Click on Insert Edit Link and then your File Vault button
Step 2 - Locate your .doc file and click insert
Step 3 - This will insert a link in your email that looks something link this: 000/0/2/8/8820/userfiles/file/NameOfYourDocFile.doc
Step 4 - Add your domain name in front of the link... but you have to open the Insert Edit Link window to do this. Be sure to set the link type to http://
Step 5 - Your final link should look similar to this: http://www.yourDomainName.com/000/0/2/8/...ameOfYourDocFile.doc

Once you have the complete link, you should be able to copy and paste the link into a new browser window and see that your computer tries to download and open the .doc file.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM - Response #2

Scott, Can't we post a PDF to our sites? If so, Janie can make a PDF of her DOC and post it that way with photos, graphics and such. Scott, if you would... please give us the 'how to post a pdf'. Smile

Janie and all who read this, there is a free PDF available that I have used for years. Go to www.cutepdf.com. Download the free reader and Run it. Then go to your document. Click on Print... and change your printer to "CutePDF Writer." A save window will open for you to choose the file you want to save it in. Again, I have used this for years with no problems.

Edited 08/02/11 3:52 PM
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:18 PM - Response #3

I just tried the pdf link and it says page can't be found.
I am interested too, want to do a reservations form.

Mary

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM - Response #4

Great newsletter!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM - Response #5

I've found a site that allows you to convert just about anything without requiring that you download software to your computer. It's http://www.zamzar.com/ and will readily convert .doc to .pdf. It's free for files up to 100MB.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM - Response #6

Hi June... err, Mary!

Until we hear back from Scott of another CC staff member, I have this thought. The steps given by Scott may work for a PDF, however that seems like a lot of steps to me. It may be worth a try.

Gwen

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:25 PM - Response #7

That's great, F C, but I use CutePDF so often... I would be lost without it. It works for tons of things... including the recipes I find on the web and want a copy. If I copy/paste the text, most times there is coding or extras I need to remove. By using CutePDF, I have no work but to highlight... print... choose selection (I never want all the other stuff on a page) and print. I save it to my recipe file and I'm done. I've used this program for more than documents. (i.e. spreadsheets and more) It is a winner for me. Smile

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM - Response #8

I use pdf995. They have a free version, which my wife uses -- so you get some ads but if you want to buy it it is $9.95. I have used the suite ($19.95) for years and have been very happy with it. It is like the one mentioned above in that it acts like a printer and shows up when you print a document.

http://www.pdf995.com

Jim

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM - Response #9

I'll try the zamzar.com as long as there aren't 50 steps like what Scott is suggesting, he lost me in the second paragraph, second sentence, and I hadn't even gotten to the instructions. . . LOL

Gwen, about the (June) thing in front of my name - we had two graduating classes, January and June so in order to keep the lists separate on CC it was the only way to do it.

Initially, Brad thought they would sort by all (Jan.) and all (June) but they co-mingled and I live with it.

Mary

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 5:30 PM - Response #10
PagesPrintToPDF.jpg

Janie,

I've done something similar with monthly interviews of classmates, but confess to running apps on the Mac OS where you just select "print" from your page layout or word processing program and select "save as pdf" from the lower left fly-out window (screen shot attached). Together with Scott's link step, the vault has been handling our versions flawlessly.

Bob

Edited 08/02/11 5:32 PM
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM - Response #11
45th.pdf

Janie,

Here's your document as a pdf file.

To create it I used PDFCreator, freeware. If you wish to do this yourself in the future, download and install PDF Creator. What it does (as do most all PDF generating software) is add a new "printer" to your computer. In any program that can print a document you select the document you want to print, go to print it and when asked which printer you want, select the PDFCreator "printer". What it really "prints" is a PDF file to your computer. You'll be given the opportunity to rename it and also specify where you want it saved on your computer.

That's the easy part.

I don't believe CC allows you to attach files, other than images to your e-mails (I believe it is to keep the site from being classified as a spam generator). Thus you need to put the PDF file up elsewhere on the Internet and then link to it. Scott was showing how you could load the file within your CC account and then link to it. You could also put it on some cloud computer site for which you've created an account or on some other site such as ISSUU (much like YouTube except for documents). I'd be happy to do it one time in my ISSUU account (and leave it there for a month or so) so you could see how that played out.

With this background you might try re-reading Scott's message re storing/linking the message on the CC site or I could take a stab at explaining that in my own terms. Please get back to me if you'd like me to do the later.

Jim

Edited 08/02/11 6:57 PM
Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 10:35 PM - Response #12

I wouldn't post a .DOC file, but a PDF file. If you use MS Word, they usually have a "Save As..." and you can select PDF as a file format, otherwise, I would use "cutepdf" or something else.

Scott gave the instructions, to post a DOC file, it is exactly the same for a PDF:

Adding a hyperlink:
Step .5 - type "Click HERE for PDF FILE"
Step .8 - Select the "Click HERE..." text
Step 1 - Click on Insert Edit Link and then your File Vault button
Step 2 - Locate your .doc (OR PDF FILE) file using the BROWSE button and click insert
Step 3 - This will insert a link in your email that looks something link this: 000/0/2/8/8820/userfiles/file/NameOfYourDocFile.doc
Step 4 - Add your domain name in front of the link... but you have to open the Insert Edit Link window to do this. Be sure to set the link type to http://
Step 5 - Your final link should look similar to this: http://www.yourDomainName.com/000/0/2/8/...ameOfYourDocFile.doc

Once you have the complete link, you should be able to copy and paste the link into a new browser window and see that your computer tries to download and open the .doc file.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 at 11:39 PM - Response #13

You guys are just amazing! Thanks for taking an interest and helping me out! Ok. I converted my newsletter to .pdf. (I noticed an overlap in headers and had to fix that) I signed up for ISSUU, Jim. I have it posted there now. As I am uploading the file I see that I can have music. I have Rod Stewart's "Having a Party" as an MP3 on my itunes but how would I get an embed file? Dont see how to do that but thought it would be fun as they peruse the newsletter. Smile Meanwhile I am still trying to sort through Scott and Kyle's instructions. Cant I just send an email from the CC site and have a link to ISSUU?

More thanks,
Janie

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 1:36 AM - Response #14

Very nice newsletter!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 at 6:57 AM - Response #15

Janie,

Learn something every day... I hadn't noted that you could add music to ISSUU documents. Tried it out and it works great. To do so you need to find a site that hosts the music you want in mp3 format that allows you to hyperlink to ISSUU. If it's copyrighted then you probably can't do so legally.

The CC "e-mail message to class" toolbar has a hypertext link icon so you can link your e-mail to your ISSUU site.

Jim

Edited 08/03/11 7:02 AM
Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM - Response #16

Jim Minor wrote:

Janie,

Learn something every day... I hadn't noted that you could add music to ISSUU documents. Tried it out and it works great. To do so you need to find a site that hosts the music you want in mp3 format that allows you to hyperlink to ISSUU. If it's copyrighted then you probably can't do so legally.

The CC "e-mail message to class" toolbar has a hypertext link icon so you can link your e-mail to your ISSUU site.

Jim

Hi Jim,

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on ISSUU. Question for you. I just uploaded my first soc - it is a .pdf of a newsletter with lots of color and photos imbedded. When I put the code on my CC page it come up great, opens great. But then when you close out of it, I get this black widow that hasd all sorts of clickable options like Twitter, FB, etc. It looks like the attached.
www.pktalphagamma.com/000/9/0/4/21409/userfiles/image/ISSU_box.jpg

Do you know how I can not have this display? Do I need a paid ISSUU account for that? Thanks.

For some reason my link is not working but if you copy-n-paste the url it does work. Sorry...

Edited 03/24/12 2:20 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.