ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmates Forum Pages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/17/14 07:02 AM Views: 888 Replies: 7
Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I would like to have specific individual forums listed in our class website's navigation menu, under the top level page, "Forums." Is that possible?

I'm a high-level techie, so coding is not a problem. Just need to know how to structure the links.

Thanks!Very Happy

Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM - Response #1

Unfortunately no. You will need to point your users to the User Forums of the site and then have the different forums set up there for them to access.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM - Response #2

If he means forum topics (??) he could link to a topic like THIS

Then use a redirect or code in the regular linked page to go there.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM - Response #3

We discussed this for TAP's Forums. Our decision was to make a page with links to each of the forums threads. To me, it is more work but it just MAY be the key to participation. Thinking of it as a 'table of contents' of sorts. We started it... and then someone got lost in all things CC. Guess she/I better get back on it!

I'm up for trying different paths to find one that works. Smile

Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM - Response #4

Don't quite see the advantage of making a page with the links that just duplicates the forum page.

Making them part of a navigation menu is a bit more communicative and visible. And it can be done as described.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM - Response #5

Understood, Jack. Yet there are some who do not read all the links. Too many links... they are lost. Give them ONE page with what looks like a book's table of contents and it may work. Nothing has sparked an interest in the forums yet and that is ridiculous. Here is an example:

There is a group page made by an alum remembering our hometown. We share photos, stories and current happenings in our hometown. From the beginning, he gave me the go ahead to copy every topic on our site. What a great way to build the forums and how easy to find things. First, I couldn't keep up with the topics. Second, traffic was next to zip. Yet forums are the better place for this as we are seeing many of
the topics started as if they are new to the list. The group page has been live over two years; just thinking of length of that page is enough to keep me from trying to find the beginning.

I would recommend highlighting a thread as an announcement on the home page - with a link, of course.

I have several changes to make on the sites I maintain. Have something that would pop, shine, grab a member's interest... please share! Cool

Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM - Response #6

Classmates should be able to go directly to a specific forum via the nav menu. Seems to me that is the function of dropdown or flyout menus, and should be available as an option for the forums, just as it is an option for nearly all the other website pages/links.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 at 8:10 PM - Response #7

Like your thinking, Frank.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.