ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

PDF upload problem-file size???

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/06/14 08:50 PM Views: 1502 Replies: 12
Saturday, December 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I have successfully uploaded pdf files while creating links on our site pages. So, the problem I now have may be file related. One of our classmates was able to take one of our 4 page (very historic) class newspapers and put the image into a pdf file. The result is very impressive. I plan to create a new link for the class papers. I am not using gallery creator. The size of this pdf file is 141 mb. I haven't read anything about pdf file size limitations (the file has already been compressed).

When I try to upload, a message appears indicating that the file is being uploaded. Nothing happens after that.

Any suggestions?

Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM - Response #1

Most likely this file is far larger than it needs to be. Many PDFs are saved at print quality, which is way higher than needed to view on screen.

I recommend downloading the software here: http://www.reducepdfsize.com

It's super easy and with a couple of clicks you can bring that file say WAY down. You really don't want your classmates having to download a file this large anyway. Try just using the default size reductions options -- don't change a thing (i.e. leave it at "screen quality".

Once you have a much smaller PDF file I don't think you'll have any trouble uploading it, and your classmates will have a much easier time accessing the file.

Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM - Response #2

I was just blocked in my attempt to download this valuable pdf reducing product. My Norton service jumped up and told me it was dangerous. At the same time I got a screen message saying something to the effect of ... Windows would not give me access to it, that I may need special authorizations.

Anybody else get this problem? Do I need to turn off my Norton protection while I download this?

Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM - Response #3

Worked OK for me (Win 8.1). Are you running with Admin rights?

Try turning off Norton and see. Then turn Norton back on.

Edited 12/07/14 1:02 PM
Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM - Response #4

Well, I just downloaded it without turning off my Norton. I think I might have hit "run" instead of "save" the first time I went to the site and tried to download it. Thanks to Alison for bringing up the question, and thanks to Brad for pointing to this PDF Reduction tool.

Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 3:14 PM - Response #5

Brad,

You made my day!!!!
It was easy and using default settings went from 141 mb to 8 mb.

Thanks,
Alison

Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM - Response #6

Superb. Smile

Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 6:24 PM - Response #7

I've been using Corel's product to "reduce" PDF sizes about the same size. Never realized it was related to the graphics. There is a tremendous difference. Even for regular printing the smaller file look good to me Very Happy

Monday, December 8, 2014 at 6:51 PM - Response #8

Cool

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 12:08 AM - Response #9
V1N1-9-25-1963.pdf

I have scanned a school newspaper to a PDF file, then compressed it. What are the steps for uploading the file (1,536 KB) to a new page, because what I am doing doesn't work.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM - Response #10

Norton still tags that download from http://www.reducepdfsize.com as a "potential danger" and quarantines it. But if you look farther, the tag they give means that they didn't find a match with any known malware and acted on the safe side based on something they considered suspicious.
If you take it out of quarantine and tell Norton to ignore it, Malware Bytes does not find any problem with it.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM - Response #11
V1N1-9-25-1963.pdf

The PDF file that I am trying to add to the website is of the school newspaper (4 81/2 X 11 pages). I do not have Norton on my computer, but use Microsoft Security Essentials. I compressed the PDF files through Adobe. I have created a new page called Chieftain 1963-1964 to load 11 editions of the newspaper. I am not sure not sure of the step by step process to upload these files to the Chieftain 1963-1964 page.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 2:43 PM - Response #12

That document was already successfully uploaded to your file vault : www.meadowdale1966lynnwoodwa.org/000/0/2...e/V1N1-9-25-1963.pdf

Next, to link to the document...

1. What I typically do first is decide on where my link will be and what my link phrase will say. Type the link phrase into the editor window and use your cursor to highlight the phrase.

2. On the Editor Window, look for the icon in the second row of buttons that is about 2/3 to the right that looks like a globe with a chain link, this is the Insert / Edit Link button. Click this button and a small window will appear. Click the Browse button and locate your file on your computer. Once selected, press the Open / Select button and then you will need to click the Upload button to the right. The window should close, leaving your link phrase blue and underlined. This means that it is linked, however to test the link you must save the page and go to the actual page of the site to click the link.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.