ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How much space do I need

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/15/13 08:12 AM Views: 1004 Replies: 11
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I am new and just building my site and am in the trial period. If there are 500 classmates (but some smaller percentage actually join) then how much space do I NEED to upload a yearbook photo for each person? Will the Premium type subscription be enough or will I get into a bind on space?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM - Response #1

Premium is enough. Yearbook photos are free and so are classmate profile photos. And if you run out of storage because of photo galleries or MP3 players, you can then upgrade when you need the added storage.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM - Response #2

Colleen, on the site that I Admin, I have 10th thru 45th reunion pictures, along with our 50th, 55th and 60th Birthday Party pics. Also, I have military, Jr Hi building (convert to condos now, and Hi school re-dedication. All this under the Standard 200 MB. We did a five (5) year initial contract and with a 80% usage. On our next extension, we till upgrade to Premium contract.

Hope this helps.

JohnB

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM - Response #3

Yes John! That helps! Thank you!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM - Response #4

Colleen - I'd agree with John too. I've had the site a couple of years...have videos from one reunion...lots of photos from another...and attempting to upload the yearbook itself - but only have about 20 pages so far, and will have a bunch from our reunion weekend this past weekend. All that and I have only used 60MB of the 200 MB I'd start with the 200...you can always upgrade...the photos compress pretty well I think...don't know how they do it, but am also using Grooveshark for music, but instead of loading up too many videos we can upload them on YouTube in a private, non searchable mode, and put the links on the website..lots of creative ways of using the 200MB - it really goes a lot longer than simply knowing each photo from a camera can be 2 MB - you will get MANY MANY more than 100 photos in the 200MB due to many reasons...

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM - Response #5

Thank you Dick! I'll take advantage of those tips!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM - Response #6

The programmers have made an adjustment. Please check to see if this is now working on your end. Thanks

Scott

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM - Response #7

For large color images (resized to the max of 1000 wide for easy viewing), they are somewhere between 100KB to 500KB after uploading using the gallery upload system. So that's 400 to 1600 photos - let's say 800.

Video are definitely a YouTube (or similar) only choice since technically CC does not have a method to play those, not to mention that can eat 200MB in just one HD video.

For single photos, you can get much smaller file sizes if you edit and resize/compress locally. The key is to set the compression values available with many photo editors. Experiment to see the big differences in file sizes and yet very little difference in image quality for web uses.

That will be at least 2X smaller than using the CC image upload system. In many cases 4x smallerIdea What you do is upload your own photos to the file vault (not the image folder) and then link to those. Do not use the Image upload in the editor.

Experiment a bit before deciding how to display single images and then 200MB is more than enough. Combined this by using free storage from many sites (such as Dropbox.com and Issuu.com) for various special uses.

Music is also a big space hog at 2-6MB but if you use outside links for the CC music player, those also take no space.

Don't think we'll ever use 200MBVery Happy

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM - Response #8

Thanks Jack. Appreciate the detail. I Deleted my CC music and opted for GrooveShark. That site was awesome and it embed just as I'd hoped! I'll do YouTube for sure when I actually have any video!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM - Response #9

Scott, I couldn't see any changes by the programmers. I do see that I still have 8 of the same exact image in my vault (taking up space). I've tried repeatedly to delete them and it doesn't take. I think at this point that is my bigger worry.... emptying the vault (not the photo albums).

Friday, October 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM - Response #10

It looks like only part if this was fixed. I see the proper amount of file vault space reflected for your site. However, I cannot delete the extra broken files nor can I upload a new file into the FV at this time. I am documenting and forwarding to the programmers now.

Friday, October 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM - Response #11

Please try your file uploads again. Everything should be working now, however, you will need to upload the files again.

Thank you,

Jessica
Class Creator Support

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.