ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Annoucement area blown out

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/03/09 08:22 PM Views: 6953 Replies: 26
Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Brad, Kyle, or other staff, please check my home page and see what's blowing it out to the right.

I have gone over it, moved things over, checked code, I can't find it..

Thank you

Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 8:49 PM - Response #1

Linda,

You had lots of HARD SPACES (no-wrap spaces) on your page. This is VERY BAD because they don't wrap. These are inserted when you hit the space bar multiple times. I deleted most of them and the formatting is back to normal.

You might have to go back in and reformat some of the graphics.

To do this, USE TABLES to format your graphics. If you want the graphic to be centered, DO NOT USE SPACES. Instead use the TABLE codes and put the graphic in the table and then center the contents of the table cell.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM - Response #2

Thank you very much, Kyle.

I haven't been able to figure out the table thing.. So I just put pictures in a row or try to stagger them.

But, I might try it again sometime..

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 8:00 AM - Response #3

LOL...I'm with Lynda..I haven't figured out the tables thing either. Is this explained in detail someplace? I've mostly worked around my inability to use tables, but I'm guessing that there are still places on my page that have that pesky space-bar problem. I found plenty of "tables" mentioned on the forums here, but I've never seen one that says how to begin.

I finally figured out "skins" for my video player yesterday... Must be time to learn this one! Laughing

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 8:31 AM - Response #4

To create a table, just click on the "Insert/Edit Table" icon in the content editor. (The mouse-over text will say "Insert/Edit Table" and the icon is on the 2nd row, fourth from the right).

This will ask you how many rows and columns of the table you want to create. If you want to insert graphics in a row, I would suggest 3 columns (for a GRAPHIC, SPACE, GRAPHIC effect).

In my browser, I can then drag & drop the images into the table cells. It is easy to place a caption under each picture by just typing the text below the picture. The text will stay directly below the picture because of the margins of the table cell.

It is really not that hard. You should give it a try. If not in your regular content, create a new announcement and play around with it until you are comfortable.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM - Response #5

Kyle,
I have looked at the tables, but, after I inserted a picture, I didn't know how to get it transfered to where I wanted it on the appropriate page.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 10:35 AM - Response #6

Linda,

Which browser do you use? When in the Content Editor (NOT THE SOURCE VIEW), I can click on the graphic and drag it into the table cell (drag & drop). I can drag/drop with Internet Explorer.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 11:17 AM - Response #7

I have Firefox and IE8 on my computer.. I use IE8 when configuring the website.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 1:23 PM - Response #8

Kyle,

You are right! It's easy!!! Thanks for the tutorial. I've already used it on my homepage!!

Ruth

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM - Response #9

Ruth,

One more hint for you. If you right-click on your table borders, then choose Properties, you can change the border to 0 (number zero) and the borders will disappear.

I also noticed another place where you could use tables - in the section "have you uploaded your Jr. High photo yet". There are Hard Spaces being used there.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM - Response #10

Kyle,

Thank you! You read my mind! I would like to eliminate the lines. I'll try this for the junior high picts as well.

While we are discussing this I'll ask one more question, that I gather from previous forum posts may not have such an easy resolution.

I mainly use Google Chrome as a browser. No one else in my class uses it, but I like it! For the chart, I had to use IE to be able to click and drag. When I moved back to Chrome after inserting the new chart, I found it was blown out into the right margin.

I'm concerned about how people are seeing the site on other browsers. I've seen conversation about this here in the forums, and short of installing a third browser (likely Firefox), I have not seen a resolution that would work with my current set-up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ruth

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM - Response #11

Have a large white space on Home page with Announcements clear out-of-site at bottom. I cleared all the nbsp stuff from source code area. Now how do I go about getting the announcement area back up closer to other entries in the content area?

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 4:35 PM - Response #12

Paul Huff wrote:

Have a large white space on Home page with Announcements clear out-of-site at bottom. I cleared all the nbsp stuff from source code area. Now how do I go about getting the announcement area back up closer to other entries in the content area?

Paul, I fixed it. You had a lot of blank lines (pressed the ENTER key) at the bottom of your Home Page Content.

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM - Response #13

Kyle

How did you get the snow to drift all the way down your home page?

I tried adding snow to my page and it stopped about 1/3 way down in the announcement area.

Thank you

Friday, December 4, 2009 at 6:35 PM - Response #14

Some people like the snow going all the way down the page and others don't. The snow I am using now is something I did last year, but I put it in an announcement to save it to use this year. I was in my Post Announcements page today and I saw "Snow" so I activated it and that is what I got.

This version I got from www.dynamicdrive.com. They have a lot of fun things you can add to your website (this is not a paid product endorsement). This is also the place where I found the Falling Leaves script (it can also be used for snow if the images are changed). The Falling Leaves only fall the WINDOW height, but can have several different images falling at the same time. The Falling Snow script only has one image, but the image falls the PAGE height.

This forum talks about the Falling Snow and has one admin complaining that the snow takes too long to start falling because it has to go all the way to the bottom of the page.

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?threadid=2BCDD42E-FC35-CDBC-A95F1EBC2560D686

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM - Response #15

Kyle,

I created a new announcement, copied snow code from dynamicdrive.com and activated it.. checked the home page and there are little boxes with red x's floating down the page ! And only one bunch of "snow flakes", then it stopped.

What did I do wrong ?

Thank you, Lynda

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM - Response #16

I was fixing it for you, but I guess you deleted it as it is no longer there.

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 4:25 PM - Response #17

Oh sorry, I kept messing with it and finally found some snow that I could get to work..

Thank you, Kyle

Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 9:54 PM - Response #18

Thanks for the help Kyle. So I can learn from this what did I do to make this happen? I can tell you I was placing the cursor next to the last item on the Home page and then hitting the delete button to try and bring the announcements back up the page. I am guessing that had something to do with what happened.

Sunday, December 6, 2009 at 12:44 AM - Response #19

Paul, from what I could tell, it looked like the ENTER key had been pressed several times. I just went in and deleted the blank lines.

Monday, December 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM - Response #20

I've been trying to work with the tables.. Not having much luck.

I'm trying to put 2 pictures side by side. Don't know what to choose for rows, choose 3 columns, don't know about headers, don't understand 200 pixels for width and height, so left those alone. Wrote something in the caption area, but, font too big, no way to make it smaller...Clicked OK and grid showed up in the far left side of announcement area. Really wanted to use my space bar to move the grid over, but, I didn't !
Transferred pictures onto my desktop so I could see them to drag and drop onto the grid.
Moved site screen over as far as I could and still see grid to drag pictures from desktop.. As soon as I put one picture onto grid, a new screen opened up with the picture in top left corner. Nothing in the grid..
I'm sure I'm making this a lot harder than it is.. But, just can't figure it out.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 8:23 AM - Response #21

When I say I can drag & drop graphics into tables, I do NOT mean from the desktop. What I mean is I can insert them into the CONTENTS area of the page I am working on, create a table, and drag it from the contents area into the table (without going to the desktop).

I looked at your website and couldn't tell where you were talking about where you need help. Maybe you have deleted the two photos you were having problems with. If it is in an announcement, please say which announcement.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM - Response #22

Ok, I understand what you are saying now about drop and drag. I was trying to put the grid in first, then add the pictures.

I was just trying to experiment with the tables for future use.

Can you use the Image button to add the pictures, then insert the grid for placement and captions ?
I've always used that instead of drop and dragging the pictures onto a page.

Can you place the grid where you want it ? For example, if you want it in the middle of the page. That is my biggest problem, why I use the space bar, I'm trying to get images away from going down the left side of the page.

Thanks, Kyle

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 1:04 PM - Response #23

Success ! Well, I got 2 pictures in the grid, anyway.

But, they are too big. When I activated announcement two, it went over into the right side of the home page.. What size should the pictures be to use them in the table ?

When I learn this, I would like to put the golden bells and the lighted house side by side on my home page...

Thank you.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM - Response #24

The total width needs to be less than 398

From FAQs
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Images and third party objects inserted into your Announcements area must be 398 pixels wide or smaller.

If your table has a border, that needs to be included in the figuring of the width. To turn off the border, edit the table properties and set the border to 0

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM - Response #25

Kyle,

First of all, thank you for your patience..

I have figured out how to place pictures side by side, using the table. Now, how do you control the placement of the table/pictures on the page ? I have tried to place the table more in the center of the page, but, if I can't use the space bar, how do you move images left or right ?

thank you so much..

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM - Response #26

When I want to center some content, I usually do it through editing the HTML code by pressing the SOURCE button and typing

before the code and after the
code

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.