ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Domain Name ID Protect

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/05/11 03:02 PM Views: 1199 Replies: 4
Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM

I just received a notice from ClassNames.net that the ID Protect for our domain name would expire on 10/19/2011 (which is correct according to my records).

I went to ClassNames.net and registered for another year of ID protection. Immediately I received another e-mail from ClassNames which stated that "THIS ORDER WAS NOT BILLED - THIS SERVICE ALREADY PURCHASED FOR THIS DOMAIN."

Can you please explain what is going on?

Thanks very much!
Louise

Edited 10/05/11 3:23 PM
Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM - Response #1

Hi Louise,

Just to clarify, are you sure you want to pay an additional $8.00 per year on top of the cost of your domain registration for the ID Protect service? It is not necessary to the functioning of your website, and merely hides your name and contact information from those who are savvy enough to search domain registration records.

If you do indeed want this add-on service, you can change the setting to auto-renew and you won't have to deal with it separately. The error probably resulted from purchasing the service while it was still active instead of merely selecting auto-renew, although why that would generate an error instead of just extending the service is something that only they can answer (they are a partner company and not a part of our own operation).

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM - Response #2

Eric, thanks for your prompt reply.

If ID Protect is not necessary for the protection of personal information of our classmates, then I do not wish to renew.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 4:16 PM - Response #3

It is only for the person registering the domain. No other information is connected to it. Auto-renew on that option is turned off, so you can just let it lapse. Be sure not to ignore the emails regarding your domain, but read them carefully so you distinguish between domain renewal and add-on service renewal options.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM - Response #4

Eric, thank you so very, very much!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.