ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Continue "In Memory" music while browsing deceased

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/26/09 07:51 AM Views: 4299 Replies: 33
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 7:51 AM

I wanted to put a song for the In Memory page, however I'm assuming that when someone clicks on a deceased's link, the music will stop. Is there a way to have it continue while they're browsing those links? But only for the In Memory stuff.

Thank you!

Lori

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM - Response #1

Are you planning to use Projet Playlist, or something else, like your own embedded song file?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM - Response #2

Doesn't matter, whatever will work best. I did see playlist.com has the song I want.

I didn't see the reply I made to my own original post about 2 players, each with it's own playlist. Will that work?

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 4:29 PM - Response #3

The nature of the web is to connect, and disconnect from the webserver. While you're reading a page that has already loaded, you're no longer connected to the system at all. You don't reconnect to it until you click something new.

For this reason the only way to get something to play continually is to get it out of the page that you're currently on. With Playlist, you can include the "Pop Out Player" button so your Calssmates can pop out the player and continue listening to the music after clicking something new.

If you have the music yourself, such as having the Windows Media version of the music, you could upload it to your site and give your Classmates a link to click on to launch the music. The music would then launch in the Windows Media Player, allowing your Classmates to continue hearing the music while browsing your site.

Either way is going to require your Classmates click on something to get the music out of the current window and into something else (a new window, or music playing software like Windows Media Player).

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM - Response #4

Ok, so can I have 2 separate players with 2 different playlists? Then they can popout the In Memory one (well, and the other one too, if they want, but they'll have to be informed that only one at a time, unless they want 2 songs playing simultaneously!LOL)

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM - Response #5

Sure. And you just answered your own question. Smile

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 8:11 PM - Response #6

Uh...yeah, I guess I did! ::blush::

Thanks, Brad!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM - Response #7

Hey Brad:
where is the section you developed on HOW to add music using the playlist? thanks

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 1:35 AM - Response #8

We have a general section in our FAQs about adding third party objects, including some notes about Playlist:

1) Click FAQs above
2) Click Questions About Building Your Site
3) Read Question #19

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM - Response #9

What line in the embed code does the skin jpg I want go?

My first player worked fine, but when I added another playlist and put that on my In Memory page, the URL for the skin I used isn't showing up in the code.

I did enter the URL when it asked if I wanted a custom skin, and I hit the YES in the dropdown.

Sheesh.

TIA!

Lori

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM - Response #10

Can you post a fresh copy of your code in this forum? I'll check it out.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 1:55 PM - Response #11

style="width:435px; visibility:visible; height:270px;"
allowscriptaccess="never"
src="http://www.profileplaylist.net/mc/mp3player_new.swf"
flashvars="config=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indimusic.us%2Fext%2Fpc%
2Fconfig_black_noautostart.xml&mywidth=435&myheight=270&play
list_url=http://www.indimusic.us/loadplaylist.php?
playlist=69230518&t=1251342230&wid=os" width="435"
height="270" name="mp3player" wmode="transparent"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" border="0">

Get a playlist!src="http://www.profileplaylist.net/mc/images/create_black.j
pg" />
href="http://www.mysocialgroup.com/standalone/69230518"> border="0" alt="Standalone player"
src="http://www.profileplaylist.net/mc/images/launch_black.j
pg" />
href="http://www.mysocialgroup.com/download/69230518">border="0" alt="Get Ringtones"
src="http://www.profileplaylist.net/mc/images/get_black.jpg"
/>

Edited 08/27/09 3:13 PM
Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 3:14 PM - Response #12

I tested your code and it's working fine. Presumably it's not the skin you're after though. Unfortuntaely I don't know the answer to your skin question. Your best bet is to ask Playlist themselves. Maybe somebody here who has used custom Playlist skins can help.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM - Response #13

It's weird, cuz it's working on my Jukebox page.

I'll look again and compare the 2 codes and see what's what. I did it last night and thought I changed it ok, but it didn't work. Maybe 2 players accessing the same jpg wont' work?

Maybe I'll make a second file and name it different and see if that works before I email Project Playlist.

Thanks! And thanks for "un-blowing out" the page! LOL

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM - Response #14

One way to keep the music playing would be to open the individual Memory pages in new tabs/windows. With all the browsers now supporting tabs, seems like it might work. Or make them pop-up windows instead.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM - Response #15

Hey Brad or team,

I had a song on my In Memory page but it won't play now. I'd like to change my song to something else and have it invisible like this one song was before-in other words you didn't see the "source".

Edited 11/29/09 11:10 PM
Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM - Response #16

Tina Leeper (Site Admin) wrote:

Hey Brad or team,

I had a song on my In Memory page but it won't play now. I'd like to change my song to something else and have it invisible like this one song was before-in other words you didn't see the "source".

Hi Tina,

I went to your In Memory page with both FireFox and Internet Explorer. Both browsers played your "Amazing Grace" bagpipes playlist.

One way to not see the playlist is to change the WIDTH and HEIGHT amounts to 0 (zero). To see the width and height values, click on SOURCE. Make sure you don't change the IMAGE to be height and width of 0 because then it won't display.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM - Response #17

Kyle-I am not sure how to read the code. There are several heighth and width entries-do I change them all? When I tried this, it's still visible.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM - Response #18

I fixed it for you.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 1:00 PM - Response #19

Kyle-the playlist box is still visible though. Is there no other way to "disguise" it?

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM - Response #20

you/somebody has modified it since I made the changes.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM - Response #21

Sorry-I changed the song-could you revise again for me? Thank you!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 1:16 PM - Response #22

Sorry-I changed the song-could you revise again for me? Thank you!

Done.

If you want to see what I did, you will need to look at the SOURCE page of both the current version and the most recent backup/saved page. Be sure not to save the backup page again or you will get a visible playlist again.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM - Response #23

Kyle-ok-i see my playlist is not visible but i can't hear anything either.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM - Response #24

Kyle-ok-i see my playlist is not visible but i can't hear anything either.

It worked in Internet Explorer. It didn't in FireFox. So I changed the width/height to 1 instead of 0 and now it works.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM - Response #25

Thank you so much Kyle! I prefer Firefox to IE because it's a lot faster for me. I appreciate all your patience too!

Sunday, June 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM - Response #26

In response to Brad about connecting and disconnecting....by any chace is there a way to make it so that each person you open is "on top of" the In Memory page as another window with a target=_blank or something like that? That way the music would continue as they look through various people. Just a thought (with my little bit of knowledge) Wink

Monday, June 14, 2010 at 12:10 AM - Response #27

We have a solution coming where music will pop into it's own window and keep playing while on In Memory.

Monday, June 14, 2010 at 9:35 AM - Response #28

Great! Thanks. No commitments....but any idea how soon?

Monday, June 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM - Response #29

Definitely this summer, have a few projects slated before this one.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 3:16 AM - Response #30

Hi Brad - Any idea when this will be done? I think the effect of the music would be even more moving as classmates are reading about and seeing pictures of their departed friends.
Thanks, Tom

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM - Response #31

This was implemented with the WIDGETS link. Click on WIDGETS and you will be able to create a music player widget. You will have these options:

EMBED: Adds the MP3 Player on the web page where code is placed
TEXT LINK: Creates a text link that launches the MP3 player
POPOUT: Plays music in a separate window (best for continuous play)

You can embed your music widget on any page.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM - Response #32

I've been trying to figure this out all day - I created a playlist on Grooveshark and want it to play continuously when people open up individual (deceased) pages.

I got the Grooveshark widget, but it stops playing as soon as you open an individual's page.

I don't have mp3's so can't do the CC widget at this time.

Any way someone can take a look at it & see if they can get Grooveshark to play continuously somehow? Thank you!

Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM - Response #33

Hi Karen,

I have yet to look into Grooveshark, yet in my experiences with other 3rd party widgets, there has been a setting to check before you capture the embed code. Since this is a 3rd party item, the fix is probably on that end. Hope that is all it is.

EDIT/ADD:
My apologies... I posted and then looked at your page. (Can I claim the late hour for doing this backwards? Cool)

I see you have the Grooveshark player at the top of the In Memory page. When someone clicks on a classmate's name, they leave the main In Memory page which will stop the music from playing.

IF Grooveshark has a pop-out player, you could add a message "To hear the music while classmate's pages, please click on .....". Otherwise, the music is good for the time someone is viewing the list.

Paused to look at Grooveshark.
One last thing, I joined Grooveshark and started a playlist. The first song I added was Do Wah Diddy, which was cut off! Obviously, I did not like that at all. I may stick with Playlist.com.

Edited 03/28/13 1:27 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.