ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Profile names

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 05/27/18 10:56 AM Views: 3921 Replies: 8
Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 10:56 AM

Many of my classmates are finding the profile name descriptions confusing. Bill Smith is filling out his last name (Smith) and his married name (Smith) so his profile name comes out as Bill Smith (Smith).
Jane Doe (maiden name) married Another Bill Smith and is answering Smith for both last name options so hers is coming out as Jane Smith (Smith).
I think the descriptions for updating last names in profiles needs a little work.

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 3:16 PM - Response #1

When you register, there are three boxes to complete:

First Name
Last/Maiden Name
Married Last Name

Since most of us remember female classmates by their maiden name, Class Creator has wisely chosen to have box 2 for Maiden Name. If a female is not married and her maiden name is her last name, she puts that name in box 2 and leaves box 3 blank. If the female is married, she puts her maiden name in box 2 and married name in box 3. The married name ends up in parentheses.

Males normally fill in box 2 and leave box 3 blank.

As an administrator, you can change any errors that crop up by clicking on Edit Site Pages, bringing up the classmate's Contact Info, and editing it. Then send them an email explaining what you've done.

We've only had a handful of classmates who have incorrectly filled the boxes in. I don't know that there is a better way to describe the boxes than currently exists, without writing a lengthy description next to the box.

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 4:03 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Scott. One correction, it is Manage Classmates, not Edit Site Pages.

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 4:32 PM - Response #3

Good luck with your 50th!!!

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM - Response #4

Kyle, you're right that you can access the classmate list by clicking on Manage Classmates, then Enter/Edit Classmates.

A second way to access the classmate list in two steps is Edit Site Pages, then, under Classmate Profiles click on Manage Classmates.

I guess I'm more used to using the second way, but either way works fine!

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 5:39 PM - Response #5

On our printed forms we label them "Last Name in School" and "Current Last Name (if different)" but our Excel database also adds a column between those for "Maiden Name" because having that separate helps in some instances.

Edited 05/27/18 5:40 PM
Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 8:05 PM - Response #6

Mary Smith has great descriptions for the last names. My results so far have been 8 males out of 28 and 5 females out of 19 getting confused with filling out last or maiden names. Thanks all.

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 8:16 PM - Response #7

Yes, Mary Smith has come up with perfect labels for school sites.

Current/Proposed
Last/Maiden Name/Last Name in School
Married Last Name/Current Last Name (if different)

The only hitch I see is not all sites on Class Creator are school sites. There are many clubs, church groups, homeowner's associations, etc. with sites. How would we deal with sites where "School" is not relevant? I think there'd be complaints/confusion from admins of those sites.

Edited 05/28/18 12:27 AM
Monday, May 28, 2018 at 8:49 AM - Response #8

Scott, you are right, I have never done it that way because it is an extra click, but it is possible. I stand corrected.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.