ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

ProShow .flv files

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/12/10 07:33 PM Views: 2111 Replies: 19
Friday, March 12, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Hi! First off let me thank Brad and everyone at Class Creator as well as all the school site administrators. I've been a silent lurker here since last year and you've all been a great help to me in building our site, so THANK YOU ALL! You're all fantastic!

I've pretty much been able to figure out any issues I've had........up to now!

I'm trying to add a short ProShow gold slide show on my Home Page of classmates who we have absolutely no info for. I created a Flash file for the slide show but when I try to upload the .flv files to the vault it says "invalid file type". The drop down box only shows that images can be uploaded and I can't figure out how to open it up to add other file options. Any help/advice/instruction you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Class Creator rocks, thank you all again!

Karen Avon
CPHS Class of '75

Edited 03/12/10 8:03 PM
Friday, March 12, 2010 at 8:23 PM - Response #1

Oh cool, a Silent Lurker! Welcome Karen. Albeit a year LATE! Wink

Since you've lurked for a year, you probably know we try to keep everything in the system as intuitive as possible. This is an area where it's not though.

You see, there are really 2 File Vaults. One is for images and works in conjunction with your yellow "image icon" on your editor toolbar. The other File Vault is where you can post other file types, such as the .flv file you need to have on the server to make your ProShow Gold slideshow work. To get into that File Vault just click the chain link icon and then click the File Vault button. See told ya not intuitive. We should probably fix that. Smile

It sounds to me like you'll be ok from there, but if not, just search these forums for "ProShow Gold" -- there's several threads here with detailed instructions for getting ProShow Gold slideshows working on your web site.

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 9:00 PM - Response #2

Karen,

May I ask, where did you get the "Wanted" posters, located on your home page ?

Those are really neat.

Thanks, Lynda

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM - Response #3

Well that sounds easy enough, Thanks so much Brad! I'll tackle this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Karen Avon
CPHS Class of '75

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 9:53 PM - Response #4
Wanted Classmate Frame.png

Lynda,

I got the wanted poster clip art from a publishing program I have - Print Shop 23. Then I cut out the center to make it transparent. I'm not sure what type editing program you have but it's a .png file. I've attached it in case you'd like to use it.

Karen

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM - Response #5

Karen..

I got it and I think I can figure out how to use it.

Thanks so much..

Lynda

Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 9:29 AM - Response #6

I'm crying 'Uncle'. I've tried everything I can think of! It all appears to be right: I created a flash show, the files are uploaded, I pasted the codes with the full path names, the empty box shows up with the puzzle piece in the middle, etc. etc. but when I save and go to the Home Page to see how it looks, nothing is there! Refresh, nothing is there. I even uploaded the latest version of flash.

I'm afraid I need your help again.

I also have a question - what is the easiest way to find the correct file path info. I found it, in a really roundabout way but I know there must be an easier way to get to it.

Look at that Brad, for the longest time not a word from me and now you'll never get me to shut up!

Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM - Response #7

Well, you certainly can't stop me from trying. Wink

Here's the easiest way to get your file path:

1) Go into edit mode for any page
2) Click the chain link icon
3) Click the File Vault tab
4) Next to any file click the "Insert" link
5) Click OK a couple times to return to your editor and save the page
6) View the page live in your browser. However over the link and you'll see the file path in the lower left corner of your browser. Or right click the link and select "copy link location" or whatever the equivalent on your browser is.

Once you have your file path, save it somewhere on your computer, or do the unthinkable and write it down on a sticky note or ordinary piece of paper. The file path is always the same, so if you have it jotted down and you need to link to any other files, you can just type the path right in, which definitely beats going through the above procedure every single time.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM - Response #8

Hi Brad,

I just can't get the slide show to work and can't figure out why.

Could you possibly help an old lady out? I know your expert eyes will spot the problem almost instantly, =D and then I can get on with my life.

Thank You!
Karen Avon
CPHS Class of '75

Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM - Response #9

Please do me a favor and export the movie again using your software. This don't don't include a space in the file name though. For instance instead of naming it "Missing Classmates" just name it "Missing." Attach the swf and the flv to your next forum response. I have a feeling the space alone is causing this issue, I think you've done everything else perfectly.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM - Response #10
Missing.swf

Thanks so much Brad! That's all it was....it didn't like the space. It's working great now!

I'm not sure if you still want to see the files so I'm attaching them anyway.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Karen

Edited 03/13/10 6:58 PM
Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM - Response #11

It won't let me attach the .flv file. Says it exceeds the allowed size of 800 KB. Wow, and the slide show is not even 2 minutes long!

Sorry!!

Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM - Response #12

Karen, I took a quick look at your site and noticed that a number of your Classmate Profiles do NOT have the 'lock' icon which means those profiles are being searched by Google, Yahoo, Bing and others.

Brad has a 'magic' switch that can force all of the profiles to be locked away so only registered and logged in members can view them.

Or you can go through each profile and edit the choice that allows profiles to be viewable by all or viewable only by registered and logged in members.

John

Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 8:44 AM - Response #13

Thanks John! I know there are some with the locks off. I've even sent private emails out advising them to lock it up. Some do, some don't. I've learned that my class is not only a little technically challenged but their comprehension skills may be slightly lacking - probably a result of our spending both high school and college years in the 70's Wink

In any case, that 'Magic Switch' sounds awesome!!

Brad?

Karen

Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 9:15 AM - Response #14

Karen Avon wrote:

In any case, that 'Magic Switch' sounds awesome!!

Brad?

Karen

Brad gave me a magic wand, so I took care of it.

Super Duper Privacy mode has been turned on for your website.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM - Response #15

Perfect Kyle, Thank You!

Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 11:23 AM - Response #16

One thing to note, and it sounds like you're comfortable with it, but now Classmates have no option to ever share their Profiles with anyone other than members of the site, such as friends, family, co-workers, etc. Not even for a second by toggling it public and then back to private. From a developer's standpoint we really don't care either way, everybody has to make their privacy calls on their own sites. One thing we know from the past though is people often wanted to share their Profiles with others who are not part of the site, and with no option available anymore it's impossible. But then like I said, every class has different needs and concerns, and for many the security benefits of having all Profiles outside the reach of the public outweigh the ability to freely share information with anyone.

Edited 03/14/10 11:25 AM
Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM - Response #17

But, if someone wanted their family member or friend, etc. to see something on the site, I could always give them access by giving them the password -right?

I don't know, let me leave it like this for now and see if anyone complains. Do I always have the option to have that setting removed if I needed to down the road?

Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM - Response #18

Sure, it can be removed at any time. But no though, you giving somebody the password for the site wouldn't have anything to do with this issue. It's the Classmate who would need to get somebody in. Let's say a Classmate makes this beautiful Profile full of photos and videos, etc. And now he wants to show it with his sister. Or mother. Or best friend. He can't now, it's impossible. Before he could toggle his Profile public or private at will.

Like I said, there's a price for absolute security. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, some people wouldn't have it any other way. We as developers understand that needs and desires vary. I'm just letting you know this was a source of complaints in the past when Classmates had no way of sharing their Profiles with their friends and family, etc.

Edited 03/14/10 12:59 PM
Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM - Response #19

I see what you're saying.

Hmmmmm......I think I'll leave it as is for now. Let me see if anyone complains. I highly doubt it because I'm not even sure they get that they can toggle it like that, although I have explained the different settings to them.

Thanks for the info!!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.