ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

email

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/25/09 07:27 PM Views: 1251 Replies: 4
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM

This is an item from "Sometimes you just cannot please everyone".
I just started sending email to "All" whenever I come across a new Obituary. We have 26,000 names so they come from all across the board. Most people are OK with this because it is just one more email to delete if you do not know the person. Anyway, one person wants to know if I can create a dual list and the second list to be only the "important" new. I guess what he means is what is "important" to him! I have since decided to only send the obits out once a week and my "important" news -to me- as needed. Any comments? Can I do a dual list?

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM - Response #1

No, not really. Although he can opt out of emailings, although it doesn't sound like that's what he wants to do either. We are going to create email group abilities down the road, so you could create 2 groups there, and try to determine who wants what. With 26,000 members though, I'm going to go with what you just said: there's no pleasing everybody. If he wants updates, but not too many updates, he's going to have to decide if he likes your level of updates, and if not he can always opt out.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 9:51 PM - Response #2

What about the option on email the class that says only people who meet these parameters? OR you could just ignoe that one person - uncheck his email on the list. My class loves hearing anything from home.We have lost 48 people out of 225 since '64. I even tell them of parents and prominate people who died, married, won a prize. Bless your heart, you just have a crank. Maybe we have some, but they must just delete.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM - Response #3

26,000 way too many people to unselect the cranks. He can opt out until there are two lists. One an "In Memory' list the other "All" list. Or something like that.

Lara Johnson wrote:

What about the option on email the class that says only people who meet these parameters? OR you could just ignoe that one person - uncheck his email on the list. My class loves hearing anything from home.We have lost 48 people out of 225 since '64. I even tell them of parents and prominate people who died, married, won a prize. Bless your heart, you just have a crank. Maybe we have some, but they must just delete.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM - Response #4

While I don't have a group of 26,000, thank God, I put my obits in the announcements on the home page for about a month, and also direct people to the In Memory page for even more details. Since you have so many, you could have a separate link where you list obits and let people take the responsiblity for checking the site regularly for the latest. Your announcement section could have a list of names for the most current obits, but without the details. Maybe that will help.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.