ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Build a veterans' organization site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/20/16 08:47 AM Views: 1258 Replies: 3
Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 8:47 AM

I have been tasked to build a web site for my local Vietnam Veterans' of America chapter. Having been the admin for my high school class web pages since starting in the Spring 2008, I thought ClassCreator would be a good platform to build the site.

I would like to know how many of these are on CC?; link to a list if possible. I did find one in New York (http://www.vva32.org/)that would work but I am not certain if my chapter members want to use the profiles feature - is it possible to build without that?

Thanks

Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 9:40 PM - Response #1

My first thought is actually a question. Is the site to be informational only? If so, will all the information be public information or will there be one or more possible topics/events that may not be open to the public? That is where I would start.

The chapter members may not wish to use profiles but think of the work it saves for the membership committee in that members may update their contact information when it is convenient for them on the site. That is the first point of our sites -- they are membership based. You mentioned 'chapter members', which leads me to ask... why not have them join their site?

Other points:
- Add questions specific to your members. Such as, additional information as to where they served, their ranks, companies, ships and so on.
- In Memory is there when needed. This is a positive section in a membership based organization.

You know all of this and more. I mention it as I worked for a veteran's association which gave me a good understanding of the needs and what can be done.

Having members or not having members can be a toss up.
I would offer your charter members the ability to register. They may choose to build a profile or not. Either way, it does not hurt and may become a key element of your site in the future. I see the profiles having specific questions for your members, a suggestion to post their military photo, earned medals and more. Again, some may not, yet once a few do... you may have a good thing happening on your site. I would lock down (restrict) all profiles from public view unless your chapter feels otherwise.

In the end, if everything will be public and the chapter chooses not to have member profiles, you would be the only one with a profile that can be hidden.

I hope you will invite us to view your site when you get it going or finished.

Good luck!

Monday, July 25, 2016 at 9:22 AM - Response #2

Gwen
Thanks for the reply. Here is the link for the pages I am working on. http://www.classcreator.com/VVA-Chapter-5/

I can tell you that it's been a long time since I set up our class site http://www.memorial69.com/ that I have forgotten much of the design stuff; thankfully Class Creator is easy to use.

Patrick

Edited 07/25/16 9:51 AM
Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 3:33 PM - Response #3

Patrick, How is the site coming along?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.