ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

LOGIN Link

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/27/10 09:07 AM Views: 1440 Replies: 7
Monday, September 27, 2010 at 9:07 AM

As a person can look at parts of the website without being logged in, would it not make sense to have a LOGIN link included across the top.

I would think that the same screen that shows when you LOGOFF would work. Simply change the text from "You have succesffully logged out" to "Please Log In"

A prference would be that after loggin in, the screen returns to the same screen that the user chose LOGIN from.

With that in mind, maybe in this case, the login would need to be a popup or something.

Monday, September 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM - Response #1

Although we could do that, why put something extra on the pages and take up screen real estate? If a member who is not logged in is browsing the site and clicks a link that requires they be logged in, they're already immediately prompted to log in anyway. I'm not seeing any benefit or time savings to adding login links to pages that don't require the user be logged in. Minor as it is it's just more stuff on the page. If I'm missing the benefit here please let me know.

Monday, September 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM - Response #2

I understand your answer but it is not entirely correct. Maybe due to settings but if i am NOT logged in and I go to CLASSMATE PROFILES, I do not have the option to LOGIN and I can not check the box to show YEARBOOK PHOTOS because it is not there. As a result there is no "trigger" to give me the pop up to log in so I can check the box.

I cant think of many websites that I have visited that do not have a login from virtually every screen. Maybe you could save some room on the left side by moving LOGOUT to the top and have the space serve both purposes. If logged in have it be LOG OUT. If NOT logged in, have it be LOG IN. I really dont like the logout where it is anyway. Seems like most login/logout links are usually at top and to the right.

I hope I am not becoming a PIA.
Charlie

Monday, September 27, 2010 at 1:23 PM - Response #3

All right, that's a good point, credit to you for that one. Although I'm not sure toggling on the Yearbook Photos alone is enough to warrant the extra screen real estate on every page of the web site. I have a funny feeling if we did put it there we'd get more complaints than anything else. If for no other reason because people are used to it not being there and it's a whole lot harder to change something people are used to than have it there from the start. I don't believe there are many if any similar examples to this in the system.

I do like your idea of having a Log In/Log Out link that toggles based on whether you're logged in or not. I think in order for it to fly it needs to be built directly into each template design and not take up any of the body area. I.E. it won't be taking up screen real estate people are used to having now. Let me check with the designer on this, it's a good time for it since we're just several weeks away from converting all existing designs to CSS and any new ones as well of course.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 12:36 PM - Response #4

I would make it an optional tab via EDIT SITE PAGES. Login/logout. if the user chooses to put it one the site, put it at the top in the right most postion.

better functionality
user choice to use or not user real estate for purpose

Resolves all concerns

PIA

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM - Response #5

Ok, we'll look at that. It may fit in different places based on the design plus I'm not sure how it will fit with some of the upcoming new designs, but we'll work it in.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM - Response #6

Now you are scaring me....having been spending sleepless nights trying to figure out this design....When is this change going to happen?

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM - Response #7

The current available templates that you can choose are being redesigned to be wider. That is about the only significant change you will notice. The left menus are being redesigned so that you can have "fly-out" menus (sub-menus). The right-modules should remain the same. Some new templates are also being developed.

Nothing to worry about. Just relax.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.