ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory notification

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/06/13 03:23 PM Views: 904 Replies: 6
Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I just went through changing a classmate to In Memory. It all went smoothly, and I was happy to see that most folks got an email when the change took place.
But it seems to me that a 'status change' should also show up in the "Profile Updates" list on the Home Page. Even though this classmate was still on the missing list and only had a partial profile containing some admin entries, there are quite a few who swing by the site and move on if they don't see anything new. A corresponding entry in the Profile Updates list for a 'status change' would trigger them to click on it (I assume it would take them to the In Memory entry just like clicking on the name in the class list does). And it would show a change even if they had never joined and had an empty profile.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM - Response #1

I can circulate that idea for future development.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM - Response #2

Thanks. I suspect that I could have made some small change to the profile and set it as "Show as updated", but I didn't think of that until afterwards when I noticed that there was no entry in the Profile Update list - which I interpret as "someting changed". Not sure if that would still work after the In Memory changes though.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM - Response #3

Good idea, RunAmok!

Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM - Response #4

For the record, I did make a change in the otherwise empty (never joined) profile, set the time zone and saved it with "Show as updated" checked. That, as I'd hoped, put an entry in the profile update list - which when clicked does go directly to the In Memory detail entered.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM - Response #5

That is quite the ingenious work around Mr. RunAmok. Smile

Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM - Response #6

Thanks! You never know (until you try) how a combination such as a classmate who hadn't joined and was moved to In Memory, and an invisible profile change to an otherwise empty profile might function - but it worked perfectly in this case.

It actually accomplished two objectives: First, those who 'drive by' the site will see an update and check it out. And second, the 85% of our classmates on this older site who hadn't set any of the new Notify Me options (but had originally set the option to be notified on profile updates) got notified. I'll probably continue to do this in our environment where participation has dwindled since the reunion, while encouraging classmates to log back in and change their Notify Me choices.

I'd still like to see an entry in the Profile Update list for a 'status change' like a move to In Memory, but if that was implemented it would probably be better for most sites if it didn't generate a profile change email for those who have - for some reason - selected notifications for profile updates but not In Memory updates.

John

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.