ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Indexing

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/18/18 05:47 PM Views: 826 Replies: 10
Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM

A classmate has copied all 16 issues of our high school newspaper spanning 4 years. I would like to be able to create a new tab called Eagle Views and then be able to list each issue and have a clickable link to read them. Is there a way to do this? Each issue is 4 pages.

Thanks!
Janie

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 1:00 AM - Response #1

I presume that each issue is a separate pdf file. If so create your new page and then enter some verbiage for the first issue. Highlight the verbiage or a portion of it and then click on the third icon (a chain link)from the right in the second row. Click on choose file, locate the file on your computer and click on Upload. I personally like to have this type of content open in a new window but that's up to you. You do so by clicking on the Target tab and selecting New Window from the drop down menu. Click on OK. Make your second entry and proceed as you did for the first. Keep repeating until you have entries for all 16 issues. Save your page, make it active and you're good to go.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 8:24 AM - Response #2

FC is right. Each of the PDF files will be uploaded to your file vault and stored there so that the PDF will always be available for classmates to view when they click the links you are creating.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:27 AM - Response #3

If it would help to see an example, go here
MHS-63
And click on the “The High Life” link in the left side panel.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:42 AM - Response #4

We, too, have something similar with a table showing photos of each issue. When you click on a photo, it links to a PDF of that issue. It could just as well be a list of dates with hyperlinks. http://www.sphsaa.org/Tiger-News.htm

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM - Response #5

I like how you can click on cover then get that issue. Not sure how I can do that though?

I did figure out how to create a link to one page but not how I could link all pages together for one issue.

I am not as technical as I would like to be. Working on a MacBook.

PS they have been sent to me as individual jpg files by page.

Thanks!

Janie

Edited 09/19/18 11:21 AM
Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 11:33 AM - Response #6

For starters you can convert the jpgs for each issue to a multipage pdf file at this site for free. Upload the 4 jpg images for a given issue and a single multipage pdf file will be created. There are 4 presentation parameters that you can select. You may want to try different combinations until you get the look that you want.

To click on a cover to get the pdf you'd upload one of the jpgs for the issue highlight it, click on the link icon and proceed to upload the pdf.

Edited 09/19/18 11:38 AM
Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 11:38 AM - Response #7

You need to pull all the JPGs of an issue into a single PDF. I googled how to do that; several options. Here's one that might cover Mac. Convert Multiple JPGs to PDF

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 4:24 PM - Response #8

One other thing about having your HS School papers in a PDF format is that they are easily downloaded in case a classmate would like a hard copy...

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 4:40 PM - Response #9

There's another option which does not involve anything you're probably not already familiar with:

Create a 'main' page called "Eagle Views", make it active, but leave it empty. Under that page, create 16 'fly-out' pages named accordingly, upload the 4 jpegs of each issue to their appropriate page - just like you'd add photos or graphics to any other page - and make them active. Users who put their cursor on the main page will see the named flyout pages and can click on any they wish to view.

A second option would be to do the same, but leave the flyout pages inactive. Then add a link to each flyout page (could be a graphic set as a link) on the main page where users will see the link and can click to view the contents of the inactive flyout pages.

Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 2:28 PM - Response #10

I see some nice ideas on presenting high school newspapers.

We have seven schools (on seven different sites) that we maintain going back to 1901.
We create a 10 column table with about 30 rows to list the date of paper publication. Then, the publication date in the table is linked to the .pdf file in the vault. The vault has a folder for each decade.

You can see the table at www.southbendadams.com
Just click on TOWERS NEWSPAPERS in the yellow menu bar.
The .pdf files can be search and downloaded by the classmate.

Edited 09/20/18 2:29 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.