ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Forums

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/06/09 06:42 PM Views: 1735 Replies: 13
Monday, July 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM

When the new threaded forum was released, my understanding was that the old Message Forum would no longer be editable. I have many people still using the old one, instead of the new one. I am no longer getting notification when a post is made on the old message forum as well. I would prefer having 1 forum, but do not want to loose the conversations from the old one...Can someone help?

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM - Response #1

That's a tough question! How would you like us to help exactly? You have the option of using either forum, or both. The old forums don't email you and never did. Only the new threaded forums include a subscription feature. Basically you need to decide if you prefer to use the original forums only, the new threaded forums only, or both. It's really up to you.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM - Response #2

I have a few questions if I choose to use both forums together.

1. Can I rename the "old" Message Forum anywhere? I'd like to give ours a name that clearly distinguishes it from our threaded forums.

2. Is there a way to prevent anyone from posting on the old Message forums?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM - Response #3

Only registered users can post on your old Message Forums. You can rename the new forums as you know, but the old forums never included a rename feature. We do have a Task here slated for Sprint where you'll be able to rename and sort all site pages including the old Forums.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM - Response #4

FYI: In case you can't understand Brad, he probably means "Spring" is when you can expect this task to be completed.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM - Response #5

Thanks for the translation. Thought maybe you were hooking up with phones somehow.....Laughing

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM - Response #6

When I first read it, I thought "Sprint" was a codename given to the project. I had to re-read it to get the real meaning.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM - Response #7

Oops. Smile

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM - Response #8

Brad - genius at web design and class reunion planning...but not so good at spelling. Laughing

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM - Response #9

Hay now!

Thursday, October 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM - Response #10

Which definition of "hay" are we talking about?

hay /he?/ –noun
1. grass, clover, alfalfa, etc., cut and dried for use as forage.
2. grass mowed or intended for mowing.
3. Slang. a. a small sum of money: Twenty dollars an hour for doing very little certainly ain't hay.
b. money: A thousand dollars for a day's work is a lot of hay!
4. Slang. marijuana.

hey /he?/ –interjection
1. (used as an exclamation to call attention or to express pleasure, surprise, bewilderment, etc.)
2. Southern U.S. Informal. hello: used as a greeting.

SORRY ExclamationExclamation

Edited 10/29/09 6:40 PM
Monday, November 9, 2009 at 8:07 PM - Response #11

Follow-up question....can the message forum be sorted/displayed newest first to oldest or is that part of the Spring changes?

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 9:49 PM - Response #12

The original message forums always display the 25 most recent posts in order. If we reversed the order, people would have to load the page, scroll to the very end, and then scroll backwards to read conversation consecutively, which would be pretty unnatural.

The new threaded forums (User Forums) are very different, where each new forum Topic is listed from newest to oldest, always keeping current threads at the top of the page. The thread level still shows conversation from top down so people can read conversation naturally. I don't think I've ever seen a forum where people have to scroll backwards to read conversation consecutively.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM - Response #13

Brad Switzer wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a forum where people have to scroll backwards to read conversation consecutively.

Never been to an Ebay chat board? Most recent post is at the top, you have to scroll to the bottom then scroll up to read the posts in order. You're right, it's very unnatural, and I like our forums better. Very Happy

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.