ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Mapping Feature?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/23/08 03:30 PM Views: 1461 Replies: 14
Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Someone posted in another thread that they noticed the mapping feature on their site, but now I can't find the thread or any mapping on my site. Am I missing something?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 3:43 PM - Response #1

If you go to classmate profiles it is at the top of that.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 4:17 PM - Response #2

Tracy Estrada wrote:

If you go to classmate profiles it is at the top of that.

It's not displaying on mine. I went to your site and used the password your gave me and I can't see the mapping feature on the classmate profiles page.

Also, the attending reunion icon is missing from your page on the display I have. I don't know if that is a security feature or what.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 5:18 PM - Response #3

Adding to this topic, I finally found the mapping feature in the 'Where They Live' list on the right side of the homepage. However, when I clicked it, it only displayed the US with no pins for Canada. Is it possible to add Canada so that classmates are indicated on the map? I live in the US, but our school is in Canada and that's where the vast majority of our classmates are.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 5:26 PM - Response #4

Cathy Plotnick]I went to your site and used the password your gave me and I can't see the mapping feature on the classmate profiles page.[/quote]
Strange it was there last night. They must be doing some changes.

[quote="Cathy Plotnick wrote:

Also, the attending reunion icon is missing from your page on the display I have. I don't know if that is a security feature or what.

I disabled my reunion so I could do some updates to the page and add some things. I did this so that no one would click on it and place any orders. This way I won't have to go back and email anyone or re-explain the changes to anyone after I am finished. When you remove the link it takes away the icon from the classmates as well as the yes or no option so I am trying to hurry and get it done.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 5:29 PM - Response #5

My "Mapping" was in the Header of the profiles and at the bottom of the "Where are they now".

Now it is missing from the profiles...I am sooooo confused!!!!

Is Brad's wife preagant? Somebody asked if the "baby came"...

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM - Response #6

Yes Brad's wife is due with their son any day now!

Hey Cathy.... Very Happy

Edited 07/23/08 5:32 PM
Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 5:40 PM - Response #7

I've caught up with you, Tracy!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 6:27 PM - Response #8

Is this is first or fifth?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 6:31 PM - Response #9

His first son his second child.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 10:57 PM - Response #10

We were experimenting with the placement for the map feature, that's what you were seeing. We settled on the bottom of the home page "Where They Live" box.

As the map will only plot Classmates living in the US, we'll have to give admins an option under edit home page to turn off the map completely. I can see why Canadian schools or other International schools may want to turn this off.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM - Response #11

Brad Switzer wrote:

We were experimenting with the placement for the map feature, that's what you were seeing. We settled on the bottom of the home page "Where They Live" box.

As the map will only plot Classmates living in the US, we'll have to give admins an option under edit home page to turn off the map completely. I can see why Canadian schools or other International schools may want to turn this off.

That's a good idea, Brad. The function would be not very useful to sites outside of the US and my classmates would wonder why only US locations are plotted on the map when our school is in Canada.

I think as your site grows, you may want to look into options that accommodate Canadians and other nationalities. Paypal and the mapping feature come to mind.

The reason I mention Paypal is the link on the reunion page takes you to the US version of paypal. I don't think Canadians can set up a Paypal account in the US version, so perhaps having a link to the Canadian paypal site in the reunion area may be helpful so as not to create any confusion when setting up the paypal account.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 1:52 AM - Response #12

A few things to note:

1) We are currently upgrading our editor to support a thing called "unicode." This will allow people to type in numerous different languages and character sets.

2) Later this year we will be allowing all link names to be controlled by the Admin. Thus people can change them to other languages, and literally make entire Class Creator sites in other languages.

3) We are limited to the current functionality of Google mpas plotting both US and International classmates simultaneously. If better ways to plot world wide Classmates become available we will implement then.

4) Cathy would you mind going into your PayPal account and generating a quick Buy Now button for me? Please copy the code and email it to info@classcreator.com. If I can see that code, we can automatically direct anybody who selects Canadian currency for reunion payments to the Canadian PayPal site. Honestly I didn't realize there was a difference.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM - Response #13

Brad Switzer wrote:

A few things to note:

4) Cathy would you mind going into your PayPal account and generating a quick Buy Now button for me? Please copy the code and email it to info@classcreator.com. If I can see that code, we can automatically direct anybody who selects Canadian currency for reunion payments to the Canadian PayPal site. Honestly I didn't realize there was a difference.

I don't know if there is a difference except for paypal Canada ending in .ca. I don't know if paypal defaults to Canadian if a Canadian bank account or address is entered. I haven't opened the account yet, I'm waiting for the banking info from the gal who is handling the money. She's emailing it to me tonight and then I will do what you suggested.

The most important point is that I know to to go the .ca website, but there are many people who do not. It may change it to a Canadian paypal account once the address and banking info is entered. When I go to paypal.ca, the url changes to paypal.com/ca/.... The US version is paypal.com/us....My concern is that it will be set up in US currency automatically without giving a currency choice and then the vast majority of classmates will be paying foreign currency charges.

Can one select their currency when they initiate their paypal account?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM - Response #14

Actually, you select your currency right in our Reunion Planner. In your case you have selected Canadian currency, which is exactly what you should have done. It sounds like you may have forgotten, but if you click on your Reunion Planner link, you'll see your currency is already set to Canadian. Thus nobody should be attempting to pay you in US funds.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.