ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Help with customizable page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/11/08 07:12 AM Views: 1457 Replies: 8
Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Hi Brad,

I have been working on a page for our site called "A look back at 1984". There is a lot of information on that page, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the spacing. I'm at the point where I'm about the scrap the whole page.

The spacing is all over place, I can't get single where I want it, or double where I want it etc...every time I think I have one line fixed it bugs up another. ( I did try the solution in your FAQ, didn't work) I've pretty much given up on that and decided to leave as is, but now I notice the page is blown out to large and can't figure it out. It did that once before, I managed to fix it by removing most of the formatting and starting over, but don't want to go there again, I have been working on this for three weeks, and as a result of that everything else that I want to do has taken a back seat. We have classmates who are starting to sign up and I want them to see something new soon.

Any help you could give would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Johanne
massey-vanier84

p.s. any hopes of having the locate classmates on map available for canadian sites any time soon?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM - Response #1

1) I see your page is not blown out, so I'm assuming you fixed the problem. It may have been a whole bunch of hard spaces in a row, or it could have been an objects too large for your page. See this thread for a good explanation of why pages blow out in various browsers.

2) In html, an Enter key starts a new paragraph. If you want to advance down only one space, just hold down your shift key while pressing your Enter Key.

3) Most things on that page are really looking pretty good to me. If you want to go through the page issue by issue, please call Rhonda Johnston Monday through Thursday at 734-972-9313 and she'll help you fix any remaining issues. Rhonda answers support calls from 10 to 5 p.m. EST.

Friday, September 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM - Response #2

I was wondering why you said you didn't see a problem with the page, so decided to take a look at it with Explorer, I use Firefox at home and at work. Well guess what? No blown out pages to be found. However it's still there with firefox. So I'm assuming that classmates who have firefox are seeing the same thing as I do?

The title of the link is missing the left portion so it reads "ook back" and you have to scroll to the right to see the some of the page. There are no "images" yet on the page, and I've gone over the codes again and again, I can't see where the problem is, but then again, I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Help!!

Johanne

Friday, September 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM - Response #3

Sorry I'm a little out of it apparently. I first looked at your page in Internet Explorer, where it is not blown out. I then went into Firefox and looked at your home page (i.e. not the correct page you are having a problem with). I did ultimately view your page in Firefox and I do see that it is blown out...

I was going to go in and simply fix this for you, but, then I went into the code... Where did all that code come from? Are you generating html in some other editor and pasting it into this page? That's a perfectly fine thing to do, but in this case there are hundreds and hundreds of redundant font tags and blank divs, a few zillion blockquotes, and all kind of other things... Frankly the code is such a scrambled mess it just goes on forever and ever. I have no clue where to even begin looking for the culprit here...

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but if I were doing this page, I'd start clean, and scrap all of these miles of coding in here... I.E. I'd copy the entire page, paste it into a notepad file (which will strip out 100% of the html), and then I'd copy it all back to this page while you format it how you want it.

Edited 09/12/08 3:48 PM
Friday, September 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM - Response #4

One more thing: I tried running a code cleanup script on your page. It removed over 2,000 redundant font tags from the code. I put it on a page called "1984 test" and deactivated it so nobody else in your class can see it. But you can see it here:

http://www.massey-vanier84.com/class_custom4.cfm

You might want to switch to this code and work with it, as it will now be about a million times easier to work with. You'll see the page is still blown out in Firefox though - which I suspect is a result of all of those blank blockquotes in there. I would remove all of those from the code and see if that's the culprit (very likely).

Sorry there is no better way to tackle this, but when you've got this much of a sea of html code in there, it takes time, and a fair understanding of html, to resolve issues like this. You'll have to tell me how all that code got in there like this....was this possibly done in Microsoft Word?

Friday, September 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM - Response #5

Yup, that's exactly what I did, I put everything in word, and then copied it to the web page. I did do a lot of cleanup but wasn't really sure where all the codes were coming from. I will do as you suggest and see how it goes.

Thanks ever so much, you must have the patients of a saint

Johanne

Friday, September 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM - Response #6

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You know, I'm really going to have to get it out there somehow to NOT use Word as your editor for Class Creator. The problem is, when you copy content over, you also are copying TONS of code behnid the scenes. And believe me when I tell you, it's a mess. A real mess. The best thing you can do is create content right in your editor, a third party html program such as Dreamweaver, or even a copy of Notepad if you want to ensure code doesn't get attached to your copy and paste.

Once you have this much extraneous code on your page it's virtually impossible to fix -- but, you've already figured that out...

Edited 09/12/08 7:24 PM
Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 9:03 AM - Response #7

Hi Brad,

I was actually going to suggest that you mention something about that in your FAQs about "building your site" for all us newbies out there.

I did as you suggested and copied everything to notepad, then back to my page. So at least I didn't lose my content, just the formatting which is easily fixed.

Once again, thanks so much.

Johanne

Saturday, September 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM - Response #8

I'll add an FAQ right now, good idea.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.