ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Creating an "Offline" Page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/19/10 10:11 AM Views: 1354 Replies: 8
Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Hi,

Within my "In Memory" page I want to create an off-line page for an "In Memory Slideshow". I've used the artifact of a Survey to create this second page and it's mostly working but I'm having two problems:

1. I really don't want this slideshow page listed along with all the other pages in the left-hand column of the home page. I only want it to be accessed via the "In Memory" page. If I unselect the page as a survey it doesn't show up in the left-hand column but it also is no longer reachable from the "In Memory" link. Conversely, if I make the survey active the link works but it also shows up in the left-hand column. What-to-do, what-to-do?

2. I'd like to have a return link at the bottom of the "In Memory Slideshow" page back to the spot on the "In Memory" page where the slideshow page was first selected. I've put an anchor on the spot I'd like to return to but when I'm on the slideshow page and I select the linking icon it seems to only see links on its own (slideshow) page. How do I link to an anchor on another page?

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM - Response #1

1. Survey pages cannot be clicked on unless they are on the ACTIVE. That is just the way it is. Custom Pages, on the other hand, can be used even if they are inactive. So if you haven't used all of your custom pages, you can copy the contents of your survey and then paste it into one of your custom pages and then deactivate it and you can have a link to the inactive page.

2. In order to do this, you have do be a little tricky. On you "In Memory" page, you will need to ALSO CREATE YOUR LINK back to your IN MEMORY page, then use CUT/PASTE to paste it on your slideshow page. This is because when you want to link to an anchor, it doesn't know about any other anchors except the ones in the current editor.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM - Response #2

Kyle,

Wow! I didn't expect a response so fast. Don't you ever get a break?

Step one was a piece of cake. Now that I understand the ground rules a little better, if I start running out of customizable pages I may start transferring some of the contents of them to "Survey" pages when I need the have pages with more of the characteristics of the former.

I'm still having problems with #2. Your approach sounded reasonable so I created a link in the "In Memory" page to the anchor in the same page and it worked fine. Then I cut/pasted the link to the slideshow page and it didn't work. I tried both doing it at the object level and at the source/html level and neither seemed to work. I'm not sure I saved the information on the code source ("In Memory") page before I copied it but I think I did. I know I saved it on the target, slideshow page after I pasted the link into it. When I looked at the html code there seemed to be no reference to the URL of the anchor so it's not clear to me how this is supposed to work. What don't I understand/what am I doing wrong?

BTW, I thought I saw a reference on another thread that there was a software update coming to Class Creator that would address some of the issues of "Survey" pages. Would that be relevant to any of what we're talking about?

Thanks for bearing with me on this.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM - Response #3

I just tried your links and they both seemed to work. I didn't make any changes. Maybe you got it figured out.

You really don't need an ANCHOR because it is close enough to the top of the page that just returning to the IN MEMORY page should just work fine.

Edited 06/19/10 11:56 AM
Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 12:27 PM - Response #4

Kyle,

That was my fallback position so that's what I did (i.e., just went to the page rather than a link within the page). Just thought if I could return them to the "point" at which they left the page it would be nice to do. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM - Response #5

Try it now. I just added "#Slideshow_Return" to the URL of the link on the custom page. It now returns to the anchor.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM - Response #6

Kyle,

Interesting results... I'm running Vista (latest Service Paks, I'm about to update to Windows 7... don't ask me what I think of Vista). Anyway your changes did not work with Firefox (always kept current with latest updates) but did work with Internet Explorer.

With Firefox it still took me back to the right page, just not the "right" spot. Thus, I'm certainly no worse off than I was before.

Not sure what to make of it.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM - Response #7

I was using FireFox when I set it up. It worked for me.

PS your "In Memory Slideshow" is "ACTIVE", so anyone can see it without going to the In Memory page first. To fix this, just uncheck the "Active" checkbox on the Edit Site Pages in the "In Memory Slideshow" row.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM - Response #8

Kyle,

I just had the slideshow page unchecked while I was troubleshooting it. Thanks for noticing it.

It still isn't working for me. I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 and it's taking me back to the top of the page not the anchor. As a precaution I logged off, shut Firefox down and restarted it (but didn't clean out its cache), logged back on and it still takes me to the top of the page.

I'm not sure how much more time it's worth to work on this. If it works with IE and some (most?) Firefox browsers and when it "fails" it really isn't that bad then I can live with it.

If you'd like me to try something else I'd be more than happy to but you probably have "real" problems to work on.

Jim

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.