ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

uploading into existing list

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/07/09 01:39 AM Views: 2139 Replies: 25
Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Our site is flying, with 500 new members in the past few days.
We can't wait for the teacher's module due to reunion time constraints.
We're currently passing around an excel sheet, in order to assemble a complete list of teachers.
We've decided to add them to the classmate profiles list with TEACHER in the Married Name column.
When the sheet is finished, can I set it up as a csv and upload it onto the existing site, any risks of screwing up the existing list?...or should I be entering it manually?
Thanks very much
Donaldeh

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 8:58 AM - Response #1

No you won't mess up the existing Classmates, but I would not add them at all that way, as Teacher Profiles are activately under development here and may be live in the next couple of weeks. I'd put them right into the true Teacher Profiles area on multi sites when we launch it. Otherwise you're going to have a really time consuming task on your hands manually copying and pasting teacher Profiles out of your Classmate area and into the new Teacher Profiles area. If you can wait a couple weeks you'll be much better off.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 9:03 AM - Response #2

I have a situation that is probably only specific to me.

Anyway, our school system consolidated in 1963. Before that there were 3 other schools. Can you add multiple schools in the same site for one alumni association? I am currently managing 8 sites and it is getting out hand.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 9:33 AM - Response #3

No, you cannot combine 3 different schools into one site...at least not in the fashion I believe you're describing. I think you'd need something where you click Classmate Profiles, and the first thing you'd see is a list of schools. Right? If so, no, there is no category level or anything like that in the system that would allow for that at this time.

You could simply just add everybody though. Maybe before each Classmate name insert "()"? At least this way everybody would be alphaetized by school.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 10:52 AM - Response #4

You sound like me, telling my staff that I'm gonna have our product catalogue done real soon; BS'ing them that I'm working hard on it...when my days are actually consumed with Classcreator...lmao!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll have the teachers contact me directly for the time being, and build an excel sheet on them for upload when its ready.
Would it be possible to get a preview of what the upload fields will be for the Teacher's module, so that I can build the data accordingly?

I had an banking IT guru classmate in Switzerland online with me last night, looking at our site through someplace that he uses online, at our site stats, and asking me how in the hell I managed to get this much traffic so quickly.

Thanks Brad. What a blast! Our school has been closed since 1985. I'm receiving heartfelt thank you messages from alumni on how this is the greatest thing that anyone has ever done for the community, how my work is so tremendously valued...

Here is a message forwarded to me by my co-administrator, just prior to my DNS issues finally being repaired yesterday (it seems that Classcreator.net actually does exist)

Subject: a little reminder of why we're doing this... WOW if this doesn't make you feel good.

Glenda Emerson Hansen
Subject
The best gift

Great job..I will be forever greatful for all the work you have done. The web site is great, easy to use...and for that I am consumed on a daily watch.
You have given all that attended VMCI and the community the best gift anyone could ever believe possible.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you..for bringing everyone together.

For this I pass the thanks to you Brad, and to your friendly staff.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 10:52 AM - Response #5

FYI, I had to split graduating classes for Jan. and June with the graduating month preceeding the classmate name as recommended. The system did not separate (Jan.) alpha order from (June) alpha order, the classes are co-mingled, in alphabetical order.

We have about 600 on our roster, it hasn't really been an issue.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM - Response #6

Are the teachers going to be listed in a group just like when you choose the year a student belongs to?
If they are, won't we be able to just edit their profile and change the from a year to teacher?
I've started a teacher group as the class of 2009. I thought I'd be able to just change the class they are in. I hope I can. I've not sent any invites to teachers or really spread the word. I've only got two right now so it won't be a problem for me as it is, but I won't pass the word along if I have to do a major do over.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 11:08 AM - Response #7

Your situation is not as unique as you feel. The Multi Graduating Years web site that I am putting together is a consolidation of a lot of little communities over the years. The final consolidation came in 1957.

So what I am doing is in the Last/Maiden Name, I put the female's maiden name and then in brackets I put the married last name. Then in the Last Name section, I put the School name and their mascot name. Example: The present consolidated high school is the Jim Ned Indians so for those that graduated in 1958 to present I keep it the way the program is set up. For the earlier community schools that consolidated, I would put in the Last Name section: Lawn Longhorns.

As for the teachers/staff/admin, I am waiting for the new Teachers Profile. I did put a few under Guest for the In-Memory before I was told of the New feature about to Launch.

Looking forward to the Teacher Profile and Multi Reunion Activation for the Multi Graduating Year sites. Thanks for keeping us informed Brad.

Debbie Dacus Stewart
www.jimnedalumni.com

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM - Response #8

Don Armstrong wrote:

You sound like me, telling my staff that I'm gonna have our product catalogue done real soon; BS'ing them that I'm working hard on it...when my days are actually consumed with Classcreator...lmao!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll have the teachers contact me directly for the time being, and build an excel sheet on them for upload when its ready.
Would it be possible to get a preview of what the upload fields will be for the Teacher's module, so that I can build the data accordingly?

I had an banking IT guru classmate in Switzerland online with me last night, looking at our site through someplace that he uses online, at our site stats, and asking me how in the hell I managed to get this much traffic so quickly.

Thanks Brad. What a blast! Our school has been closed since 1985. I'm receiving heartfelt thank you messages from alumni on how this is the greatest thing that anyone has ever done for the community, how my work is so tremendously valued...

Here is a message forwarded to me by my co-administrator, just prior to my DNS issues finally being repaired yesterday (it seems that Classcreator.net actually does exist)

Subject: a little reminder of why we're doing this... WOW if this doesn't make you feel good.

Glenda Emerson Hansen
Subject
The best gift

Great job..I will be forever greatful for all the work you have done. The web site is great, easy to use...and for that I am consumed on a daily watch.
You have given all that attended VMCI and the community the best gift anyone could ever believe possible.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you..for bringing everyone together.

For this I pass the thanks to you Brad, and to your friendly staff.

Why thank you very much. Smile Can we use some of that on our home page? I really should update some of our testimonials, I like to rotate new comments from time to time.

I'm glad the system is working for you. And, it really is comments like yours that make our day, thank you.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 1:13 PM - Response #9

Karen Hall wrote:

Are the teachers going to be listed in a group just like when you choose the year a student belongs to?
If they are, won't we be able to just edit their profile and change the from a year to teacher?
I've started a teacher group as the class of 2009. I thought I'd be able to just change the class they are in. I hope I can. I've not sent any invites to teachers or really spread the word. I've only got two right now so it won't be a problem for me as it is, but I won't pass the word along if I have to do a major do over.

Teachers will occupy a distinct "space" in the system. They will not be editable along with your other members, such as Guest Members are now. There's a variety of reasons for this, including things like Teacher Profile fields will typically be different from Classmate Profile fiends. You will have your own separate "Teacher Profile Generator" to create your Teacher Profile fields. Also, thinking for the future, if we give teachers their own separate space, it allows us to do things only for them that won't affect all of the Classmates, and I guarantee you those requests are going to come in. I'm afraid you're going to have some rework...

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 1:18 PM - Response #10

Debbie Stewart wrote:

Your situation is not as unique as you feel. The Multi Graduating Years web site that I am putting together is a consolidation of a lot of little communities over the years. The final consolidation came in 1957.

So what I am doing is in the Last/Maiden Name, I put the female's maiden name and then in brackets I put the married last name. Then in the Last Name section, I put the School name and their mascot name. Example: The present consolidated high school is the Jim Ned Indians so for those that graduated in 1958 to present I keep it the way the program is set up. For the earlier community schools that consolidated, I would put in the Last Name section: Lawn Longhorns.

As for the teachers/staff/admin, I am waiting for the new Teachers Profile. I did put a few under Guest for the In-Memory before I was told of the New feature about to Launch.

Looking forward to the Teacher Profile and Multi Reunion Activation for the Multi Graduating Year sites. Thanks for keeping us informed Brad.

Debbie Dacus Stewart
www.jimnedalumni.com

No problem Debbie. We're going to try and get Teacher Profiles live this coming week. Depends on how sidetracked we get around here. If I can manage to not distract the programmers with daily fires, it just might happen. Smile

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 1:25 PM - Response #11

Note, when Teacher Profiles launch, there will be no Excel import mechanism. Teachers will need to be added inside the system.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM - Response #12

I don't care how we have to do it. I just can't wait to be able to add them. My school is just so thrilled to have this site and it being free to them that they can't stand it. I've already paid for the five year subscription and am so excited for the things to come.
Loving everything about it and love being able to please so many people at one time.
Karen

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 2:16 PM - Response #13

HEY!!!!
Where did the TEACHER MEMBER button come from!!!
You guys rock!

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM - Response #14

Where do you see the teacher button?

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM - Response #15

Ummmmmmmmm. I have no idea honestly. Nor can I find such a button on your site. It's Saturday, and although programmers do sometimes work over weekends, none of us are physically together on Saturday and Sunday. My guess is a programmer activately something just for a moment to check or test something. And then deactivated. I have no idea. Either that or I'm missing something. Where are you seeing this?

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 2:44 PM - Response #16

I have a very serious question....
Brad, do you ever sleep?

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM - Response #17

I'll make a confession here Karen. Just don't tell anybody ok? Well, other than the people who may happen to read this. I only go to the office 3 days a week. 4 days out of 7 I stay home with my family. One second I'm here talkin' to you, the next I'm headed to the mall with my 3 year old. It probably looks like I'm always here, but I really make no distinction between my job and my life anymore. This is what I do when I have a moment, whenever that happens to be. After doing this I could never work a "real job" ever again. And with that, I really am taking my 3 year old to the mall now. Bye. Smile

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM - Response #18

Sure you can.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM - Response #19

Its in Edit Pages. I'm able to work on it, but not to activate the page. That's a big help to me right now.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 3:51 PM - Response #20

You're right. I see it. It will help, just being able to get the names loaded.
Thanks a bunch.
Karen

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM - Response #21

It just became functional as well. I have it up.
Timing is everything, and man the timing of this coulnd't have been any better!

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM - Response #22

I activated it. Now where do I find it?
I'm lost.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM - Response #23

Everyone, please hold off using the new Teacher Profiles feature just yet. I need to get confirmation from the programmers that this is reaqdy to roll. It takes awhile to integrate things into the live system, and things may not be fully functional. Plus, I've been at the mall eating icecream with my 3 year old, so I'm a little out of the loop at the moment. When it's ready to roll I'll post.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 12:56 PM - Response #24

I think it would be good to take out a few words in the following information as this is a multi-year site and this statement seems to confuse some people who want all the years listed to be able to see their profile but do not want it visable to the general public - even though I know that's not the case and it will show to only the years listed and will stay blocked from the public the wording was contradicting what actually happens:

Profile Visibility: Allow only *** Classmates and Teachers to view my Profile details. Note: Checking this box will block the general public and search engines from accessing your Profile details. If you want *** friends, family, etc. to be able to view your Profile page you should leave this option unchecked.

I believe if you take out these words it should help.

fellow ~ other classes,

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Debbie Dacus Stewart

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM - Response #25

I think the main confusion is probably coming from "other classes", which was initially written for single year sites. So I zapped that. I think "fellow" on its own is not likely to confuse people because it implies Classmates from your own school as opposed to Classmates on the Class Creator system in general, but I did add after it the words "participating in this site" which I think helps make it even more clear. Let me know what you think -- thanks for the suggestion.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.